MERGED--> Senate Probes 6 Televangelists + Preachers Rebuff...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This seems to happen in cycles every 8 to 10 years a wave of televangelists get popular and then under investigation...

I don't trust a single one of them. I'm not sure Jesus would like TV.

I don't trust a single one of them. I'm not sure Jesus would like TV

Ahhhh, come on now. I know for a fact Jesus digs TV. Especially Father Ted. Now, I also know for a fact, that he despises these money changers, and I'm behind him 100%.

And it's a Republican senator leading it. Refreshing to be reminded that there are good people in that party.

Indeed.

Here's hoping that, should these people be found guilty, they get soundly punished. These people seriously need to be held responsible for their actions. It's stuff like this that further proves why televangelists really scare me, and why, like BVS said, I refuse to trust them.

Angela

As a Christian, I'm so glad this is being done. These people are a horrible representation of the faith. Benny Hinn is nothing more than a cult leader.

coemgen said:
Benny Hinn is nothing more than a cult leader.

My mother has a friend who is extremely vulnerable emotionally and mentally, she is in a very tight financial situation but still pays a psychic regularly (just to give one example of many). Her new neighbor keeps pressing her to read Benny Hinn stuff and join so to speak. I would imagine that eventually includes looking for donations.

Oh yes. It does. My mother-in-law and her mother send him money all the time. He's a total showman, and conman. His theology is dangerous.

coemgen said:
Oh yes. It does. My mother-in-law and her mother send him money all the time. He's a total showman, and conman. His theology is dangerous.

My family loves him too. I used too, when I was an impressionable kid (i.e. 2 years ago) that blindly followed what I was taught. People caught up in the whole televangelism/Christian take-over/TBN world can't see that however. The guy might not be as bad as he seems, but he still makes me nervous. I just prefer giving people the benefit of the doubt, but it's getting harder and harder.

Well we told her to absolutely refuse to get involved with it, but unfortunately this woman will do certain things that she knows are to her own detriment. Hopefully she won't. I think the neighbor can probably sense her vulnerability and would like to prey on it.

That's really sad, MrsSpringsteen. I hope that she doesn't give in to that sort of crap. Maybe pay a little extra attention to her and try and keep her away from the guy as much as possible?

U2isthebest, I've seen examples of those televangelists in action on TV. It's...really, really creepy and disturbing stuff. It amazes me that people buy into that sort of thing, but as pointed out, sometimes when you're vulnerable, you'll do anything that you think might help. I know where you're coming from-I like to give people the benefit of the doubt most of the time, too, I like to think humanity is much better than this. Unfortunately, stuff like this makes that line of thinking awfully tough to hold on to.

I'm glad that most Christians distance themselves from these sorts of "religious" people. Don't let them ruin a decent faith.

Angela

U2isthebest said:

My family loves him too. I used too, when I was an impressionable kid (i.e. 2 years ago) that blindly followed what I was taught. People caught up in the whole televangelism/Christian take-over/TBN world can't see that however. The guy might not be as bad as he seems, but he still makes me nervous. I just prefer giving people the benefit of the doubt, but it's getting harder and harder.

Dig deeper on the guy and you'll find some pretty disturbing things/theology.

So Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, and Creflo Dollar all sit on the Board of Regents of Oral Roberts University, eh?

To this Okie that explains a LOT... :wink:

this is really a slippery slope

why these 6?

what does anyone get for donating to any religious organization?

they get no more or less than anyone else that donates to any religious organization

that is why seniors have credit cards and sign up for auto- deductions from their meager savings accounts

no money changing!

just giving to the Lord's representatives here on earth

they are approaching their final reward
they find great comfort in being right with God!

Back
Top Bottom