MERGED--> Pat Robertson Warns of Disaster...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a clip of Keith Olberman the other day chatting about the Robertson and O'Reilly ridiculousness and he seemed to be saying something about O'Reilly removing the Coit Tower comments from his website?
Any more on that little story? I'd hope he'd apologize for such crap? OR does he chalk it up to righteous anger?

It's surely easy enough to laugh at these sorts of stories, but what's freaking me out is the degree to which its become accepted, the level of ire in public debate. That O'Reilly would react to voters making decisions about how they want to handle military recruiting in their schools by advocating/hoping for/joking about extraordinary violence...That Pat Robertson would react to voters deciding to maintain the separation of church and state by advocating/hoping for/joking about their deserving God's wrath for such affrontery...that the obnoxious twit Tucker Carlson would joke about how respectable and right it was for the French gov't to blow up Greenpeace vessels because he just doesn't like Greenpeace or thinks they deserve a good whack....
On the one hand, it looks like just over-emoting in the political commentary sphere...like punk rock ethics maybe...the equivalent of a great big 'oh yeah, well fuck you' response. But it seems to me tied to the kind of scary shit where...for instance....church groups from Kansas come to places like Ann Arbor to warn us all about how God's wrath visits us due to gays and the people who don't hate them. I haven't covered how or if it actually went down, but I read about how this anti-gay group from Kansas was planning on leaving their enclave to come and protest the staging of a play here in Ann Arbor about the killing of Matthew Shepard. They believe God, with the tsunami and katrina and even the recent tornados in the midwest (huh? don't those happen rather often? any spate of oh, nascar pileups or some such we can point to as well? are the recent white sox and red sox worldseries wins relevant too?) is showing how pissed he is at us all I guess for not stoning to death the homosexuals among us and they're traveling in caravans to tell us, in places like Ann Arbor where we not only don't shun gay folk but actually have the audacity to stage plays about them.
As my hubby pointed out, its like the opposite of the freedom riders....the oppression riders, as it were.
*that* scares me; and I think it's totally encouraged by the comments made by people like O'Reilly and Robertson and Carlson.
That they speak to a seething little cauldron of intolerance and roil it further, spurring it on to take road trips for example.

I hope that in churchs around the country there are ministers countering the shit that came from Robertson this week...I just kept frankly feeling embarassed to be wearing my One band knowing he's even part of their campaign, ick. I know that he's got his whole network and all, but I get a little disgusted imagining that in some small way maybe his involvement with the campaign has given him more audibility or credibility, yech.

anyway...cheers all...

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:
I read about how this anti-gay group from Kansas was planning on leaving their enclave to come and protest the staging of a play here in Ann Arbor about the killing of Matthew Shepard. They believe God, with the tsunami and katrina and even the recent tornados in the midwest (huh? don't those happen rather often? any spate of oh, nascar pileups or some such we can point to as well? are the recent white sox and red sox worldseries wins relevant too?) is showing how pissed he is at us all I guess for not stoning to death the homosexuals among us and they're traveling in caravans to tell us, in places like Ann Arbor where we not only don't shun gay folk but actually have the audacity to stage plays about them.

Oh, gee, that's...charming :|.

Anywho, I personally am not one to get any pleasure out of attacking these people. Just merely commenting on what I see as idiotic comments-I'm too disturbed by what people like Pat Robertson or Bill O'Reily or people like that say to find it amusing, actually.

Angela

Was Pat theguy who urged Christians to assassinate the President of Venezuela ? If so... :giggle: I love loonies!

Robertson may be crazy but stupid, hard to say. Ignorable (if that's a word)?

The guy nearly beat freaking George HW Bush for the presidential nomination some years ago.

Thats life i guess. I certainly won't be bothering to get my baseball bat, i prefer to just let it slide.

Sliiiiiiiide.

I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that God is a weatherman and that he shares his forecasts only with Pat Robertson. Too bad he didn't tell Pat about the flooding in New England so that everyone could have evacuated.

:crack:

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.

"Storms" will hit the coastline? You don't need a hotline from God to tell you that one.

So if everything is so bad, why is his headquarters at Virginia Beach of all places? There's nothing more laughable than fairweather Christians spending year after year wishing for gloom and doom.

Melon

kellyahern said:

I can do Pat one better. God told me that the storms will happen along the east and gulf coasts sometime between June 1st and November 30th.

:rolleyes:

Only a real expert would make a bold prediction like that. Have you ever considered a career in meteorology? :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- The Rev. Pat Robertson says God has told him that storms and possibly a tsunami will hit America's coastline this year.

The founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network has told viewers of "The 700 Club" that the revelations came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8.

He added specifics in Wednesday's show.

"There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest," he said.

Is he writing for the National Enquirer or The Globe?

Weather predictions......another fear to ponder at night......along with the HURRICANES!!!
{pardon me....but I just spotted a spider...must take care of it}.... :|

I've been waiting to see if anyone would post the ridiculous post-Katrina remarks made by the esteemed climate expert Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

"As Hurricane Katrina dismantles Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, it’s worth recalling the central role that Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour played in derailing the Kyoto Protocol and kiboshing President Bush’s iron-clad campaign promise to regulate CO2.

In 1998, Republican icon Pat Robertson warned that hurricanes were likely to hit communities that offended God. Perhaps it was Barbour’s memo that caused Katrina, at the last moment, to spare New Orleans and save its worst flailings for the Mississippi coast."

I'll admit it, Robertson is a nutter. Now anybody wanna defend Kennedy's suggestion that hurricane Katrina was directed by the hand of Providence as revenge on conservatives?

INDY500 said:
I've been waiting to see if anyone would post the ridiculous post-Katrina remarks made by the esteemed climate expert Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

"As Hurricane Katrina dismantles Mississippi’s Gulf Coast, it’s worth recalling the central role that Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour played in derailing the Kyoto Protocol and kiboshing President Bush’s iron-clad campaign promise to regulate CO2.

In 1998, Republican icon Pat Robertson warned that hurricanes were likely to hit communities that offended God. Perhaps it was Barbour’s memo that caused Katrina, at the last moment, to spare New Orleans and save its worst flailings for the Mississippi coast."

I'll admit it, Robertson is a nutter. Now anybody wanna defend Kennedy's suggestion that hurricane Katrina was directed by the hand of Providence as revenge on conservatives?

irony?

melon said:
"Storms" will hit the coastline? You don't need a hotline from God to tell you that one.

So if everything is so bad, why is his headquarters at Virginia Beach of all places? There's nothing more laughable than fairweather Christians spending year after year wishing for gloom and doom.

Melon

and let's all be sure to note that the gay neighborhoods of NOLA were spared from any flooding.

can we also note that the most devout, religious areas of the country (Deep South, Midwest) seem to get the deadliest weather (hurricanes, tornados).

on an only semi-serious note, could deadly weather inspire increased devotion to religion?

nbcrusader said:
Why? Isn't it better to keep nut jobs talking so you know where they are?

So THAT'S why these threads are repeated ad infinitum....

:wink:

Why is it wrong for Robertson to put his spin on these disasters?

Do any of you ever wonder if some of things you were taught
are not just somebody's spin on a disaster?

I am so thankful for God that I have recently relocated to a "red state"

The day I relocated...I was smacked with $900 of hail damage to my car. ALL THIS ON (gasp): GOOD FRIDAY!

Irvine511 said:
can we also note that the most devout, religious areas of the country (Deep South, Midwest) seem to get the deadliest weather (hurricanes, tornados).

Indeed. Maybe the Bible Belt doesn't realize that God's trying to tell them to shut the fuck up.

on an only semi-serious note, could deadly weather inspire increased devotion to religion?

Weather does correlate to a culture's religiosity. It isn't a coincidence that colder climates tended to be more secular and industrial, while warmer climates tended to be more agrarian and religious.

Melon

melon said:

Indeed. Maybe the Bible Belt doesn't realize that God's trying to tell them to shut the fuck up.

Melon

You're quite right about that, but maybe the message got lost amongst today's beautiful sunshine, cool breeze and all those singing birds and blooming flowers. But now that I know natural disasters are God's way of sending a message, I'll know what's up when the LESS "religious areas of the country" like the West Coast suffer, say, a high-magnitude earthquake or a catastrophic blizzard rips through New England one of these Winters.

Really guys, didn't this type of thinking go out with tossing virgins into volcanoes?

INDY500 said:
You're quite right about that, but maybe the message got lost amongst today's beautiful sunshine, cool breeze and all those singing birds and blooming flowers. But now that I know natural disasters are God's way of sending a message, I'll know what's up when the LESS "religious areas of the country" like the West Coast suffer, say, a high-magnitude earthquake or a catastrophic blizzard rips through New England one of these Winters.

Well, I'm sitting in probably one of the blandest areas in the country for weather--the union-heavy blue state, Michigan.

Really guys, didn't this type of thinking go out with tossing virgins into volcanoes?

I agree. It's a rather asinine idea, but it is one that folks like Pat Robertson seem to use an awful lot. But my point still remains the same; if God really showed his displeasure through the weather, then the Bible Belt certainly has no room to talk. They have probably, on average, the worst weather in the nation.

Melon

Perhaps he could get a part-time job at the Home Depot pushing HURRICANE SUPPLIES.........{the END is near}.......buy now before it's too late!!!

BTW....Melon......I learned a good trick today about my so-called trinkets {well I go thru the paint department's RL (as I prefer designer colors)....and pick up their paint chips by name....of course the colors are interesting yet the name must have preference above all else....and Melon the best part is they're for free}.
Yes....trinkets.....but to me......

Getting back to the subject wasn't this the same man who made a comment about some foreign leader a while ago???? {I won't go into details}.

:|

Hey only a few days into 2007. Can he bend spoons too?

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (AP) --

Evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson said Tuesday that God has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" late in 2007.

"I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear," he said during his news-and-talk television show "The 700 Club" on the Christian Broadcasting Network.

"The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Robertson said God told him about the impending tragedy during a recent prayer retreat.

God also said, he claims, that major cities and possibly millions of people will be affected by the attack, which should take place sometime after September.

Robertson suggested in January 2006 that God punished then-Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon with a stroke for ceding Israeli-controlled land to the Palestinians.

The broadcaster predicted in January 2004 that President Bush would easily win re-election.

Bush won 51 percent of the vote that fall, beating Democratic Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

In 2005, Robertson predicted that Bush would have victory after victory in his second term. He said Social Security reform proposals would be approved and Bush would nominate conservative judges to federal courts.

Lawmakers confirmed Bush's 2005 nominations of John Roberts and Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court. But the president's Social Security initiative was stalled.

"I have a relatively good track record," he said. "Sometimes I miss."

In May, Robertson said God told him that storms and possibly a tsunami were to crash into America's coastline in 2006.

Even though the U.S. was not hit with a tsunami, Robertson on Tuesday cited last spring's heavy rains and flooding in New England as partly fulfilling the prediction.

Back
Top Bottom