MERGED -- > I love Michael Moore + F*ck Michael Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly consider Michael Moore to be the scum of the earth (actually, that's an understatement). The mere mention of his name makes my skin crawl. I propose that after Saddam and his cohort are taken care of, our US troops set out to capture this pompous S.O.B. Once they have him in custody, each and every one of our service men and women should be given one free shot at his balls (as small as they may be).

*btw, before anyone accuses me of being an ultra conservative Republican--you're completely off. i usually don't speak so harshly of any individual, but there is no other individual on the face of this planet who irritates me more than michael moore.

TripThruUreWires said:
[B there is no other individual on the face of this planet who irritates me more than michael moore. [/B]

where did he come from? I'd never even heard of him until that movie was made. I guess I'm not missing out on much.

If he had said NOTHING about the Election of 2000, nothing at all....

I bet they would not have booed.

Peace

I saw that clip and I say ALL RIGHT MICHAEL MOORE!

At least someone who dares to speak critically in public at the Oscars.

BTW, nice to see so many tolerant comments from some people.

How many people here think U2 didn't get an Oscar because they might have used a critical speech?

Did you know people like Sheryl Crow, Fred Durst, Sean Penn, Dustin Hoffman and Martin Sheen are getting heavily criticised by the Page 6 website, calling people to boycott their music/movies? Too bad Dustin Hoffman canceled his peace speech in Los Angeles...got lots of hate phone calls and emails.
Long live freedom of speech and democracy, indeed. *sarcasm*

*edit* And diamond...I think we can call ourselves lucky if Bush doesn't go in history as a President whose actions pulled the world into WW III.

Last edited:
It's one thing to say you dont' agree with it...but to ..essentially shame the president in the time of war...is a bit ridiculous.

He deserved to be booed. He should have accepted the award and been gracious...and perhaps just say he didnt' agree with teh war....but not come off as a buffoon who had nothing better to do than try a publicity stunt....which is what it was.

I hate the NRA...and I Dont' really like Bush...But in a time of war....just because it's yoru right doesnt mean it's in good taste

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of President Bush, but I booed Moore too. I bet he thought he'd get a standing O from "Hollywood". I think he dilutes his message and becomes somewhat of a caricature when he acts like that.

Just accept your award and be gracious. Maybe some of these people should just let their art be their statement. The truth according to Michael Moore is not necessarily everyone's truth. Is it more about his ego? I have to wonder...

Of course he has the right to make his statement, but other people made their own statements in a subtle, classy way.

This is just my opinion-please don't attack me :uhoh: :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOLLYWOOD VS. AMERICA
Michael Moore booed
trashing Bush at Oscars
'Bowling for Columbine' director blasts 'fictitious president' during acceptance speech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: March 23, 2003
10:45 p.m. Eastern

? 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Michael Moore, whose anti-gun film "Bowling for Columbine" won the Academy Award tonight for Best Documentary, accepted his Oscar by attacking President Bush amid boos from the star-studded audience.

Michael Moore and wife Kathleen Glynn (photo: Oscar.com)

Moore said he believes in non-fiction despite the fact that "we live in a time with fictitious election results that elect fictitious presidents. We live in a time when we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons.''

Moore went on to exclaim, ''we are against this war Mr. Bush. Shame on you! Shame on you!''

His comments were greeted by a chorus of loud boos from the audience of 3,500, which included most of Hollywood's top stars.

Moore pressed on but was drowned out by music once the 45-second time limit on the speech was up.

Academy Awards host Steve Martin, appearing after Moore's speech, said it was an interesting scene backstage and that ''the Teamsters are helping Michael Moore into the trunk of his limo.''

After receiving the award, Moore remained unapologetic for his outburst.

''I'm an American, and you don't leave your citizenship when you enter the doors of the Kodak Theater. What's great about this country is that you can speak your mind,'' he said.

He said that, far from being appalled, many people in the audience stood up to applaud him and that he put ''America in a good light.''

''I showed how vital it is to have free speech in our country and all Americans have the right to stand up for what they believe in.''

Steve Martin's closing comment at the end of the awards ceremony was: ''To our men and women overseas watching, we are thinking of you and we hope you enjoyed the show, it is for you, good night.''
:lol:
MichaelMooreOscars.jpg

Last edited:
To be succinct;

1) I thought Michael Moore's outburst was distasteful. It is true, you are free to say whatever you want and Lord knows I don't support the war, but there were plenty of other speakers last night who spoke their mind subtly, eloquently and rather movingly, I thought. Michael Moore's outburst was unintelligible, boorish, loud, arrogant and frenzied. Which is a terrible shame, since it compromises not only his work but his award. I did enjoy 'Bowling for Columbine', but I far from enjoyed his speech.

2) I do agree that had he not mentioned the elections, he would not have been booed.

3) Having said that, though, there were plenty of cheers when he started his speech, and a few when he mentioned the elections; but by then, of course, the Boo's were getting louder - and I actually don't blame them. He was ruining what was a perfectly decent ceremony.

4) I am glad Eminem won because 'Lose Yourself' is a far superior song to 'Hands'. Believe me, this is excruciatingly hard for me to say, as I love U2 and hate Eminem - but the truth is that Eminem wrote the better song. However, I did enjoy U2's performance of the song, and didn't denote anything that resembled a 'charade'. Sure, Bono changed the lyrics; but he's always doing that anyway.

5) Steve Martin wasn't all that funny, I felt. Whoopi Goldberg was funnier.

6) I was disappointed that the Oscars went all 'medicinal' and opted to give 'The Pianist' all the awards for Director and Actor. I liked Adrien Brody's speech (which, incidentally, was intended to be an anti-war speech - Brody is a relatively less consipicuous anti-war protester, and given the nature of the film - it was just tastefully done and unified people by saying that they all should 'pray for peace', that is the way Moore should have done it), but I thought Daniel Day Lewis should have won. And Martin Scorsese. Talk about being passed over. And again. And again...

7) 'Chicago' received too many oscars. :mad:

8) 'Gangs of New York' didn't get any. :mad:

9) Glad to see Nicole Kidman get the award she should have recieved ages ago. Y que viva mexico! I was so happy to see Elliot Goldenthal win for his wonderful score for 'Frida', and I was delighted when he offered it to the Mexican artistic culture. I was also very proud of Salma Hayek, who, even though she didn't win, was the first Mexican actress to get nominated for the award.

10) All in all, a very tasteful ceremony. Yes, there were anti-war sentiments running high, but they were all (with the exception of Mr. Moore's rowdiness) very tastefully and respecfully pulled off. Though I did fear at one point Dustin Hoffman was going to stop mid-speech and start a crazed rant. He was evidently moved.

Ant.

Last edited:
*Reiterates what he said in another thread.

Why the dismay at what he said? Pardon the french but he's Michael fucking Moore! Surely you know how he operates. Personally I think he damages his cause as much as he helps it at times but at least he talks straight, and he stands up for the little guy alot of the time.

That old dubya quote 'Who cares what you think?' continues to ring in my ears...I can picture John Howard saying it too.

Last edited:
I LOVED Michael Moores speech! It may have come off as well-put or "intelligent" as some of you say...I say he's more intelligent than all those Hollywood actors all together (most of them). To use fancy words does not make you intelligent. I think what moore said was really spot on, and it needed to be said. People want him to tone down, but guess what, wars aren't "toned down". You can't be toned down about a war, if you got some sort of concience. This is a f*cking important issue, and I don't think you can ask anyone to be toned down right now when Bush and "The Land Of The Free" (like there aren't any other free countries in this world???) is out f*cking the world up.

I LOVED Michael Moores speech! It may have come off as well-put or "intelligent" as some of you say...I say he's more intelligent than all those Hollywood actors all together (most of them). To use fancy words does not make you intelligent. I think what moore said was really spot on, and it needed to be said. People want him to tone down, but guess what, wars aren't "toned down". You can't be toned down about a war, if you got some sort of concience. This is a f*cking important issue, and I don't think you can ask anyone to be toned down right now when Bush and "The Land Of The Free" (like there aren't any other free countries in this world???) is out f*cking the world up.

No, to use fancy words does not make you intelligent, but putting your arguments in a cogent and diplomatic manner, for logical reasons, makes your case all the more credible, and that is what a lot of people miss here. Had he said 'I find President Bush's actions unfortunate or questionable' instead of 'Shame on you, Bush, Shame on you!' then he would have been recieved a lot less harshly.

What is the point of provoking people, U2FReAk? The main reason for anthing should be to get your point across in the hope of making someone appreciate your point of view. To simply assault what one person believes is both disespectful and futile for your purposes. And that is why I disagree with the way Moore shared his mind. Yes, I agreed with where he was coming from, but all he managed to do was to paint the 'liberals' as a bunch of rowdy rebels who have nothing better to do than to bad-mouth Bush. I am sorry, but that is the generalisation that people will make, thanks to such an outburst. He has, effectively, weakened the liberal position. He has weakened the credibility of the anti-war coalition.

But of course you can tone down things. It is in times such as these that things SHOULD be toned down. Not everyone posseses the same sensibilities as another, and not everyone has the same emotional and intellectual capabilities; not everyone is the same. Some people wish to be more passive about things, some people get worked up about it. Either way, going in with a gung-ho attitude (and this applies to both sides of the war arguments) and shouting your opinion without so much as a care for other points of views, for other sensibilities, will inevitably hurt and offend people.

Unity is needed in times of war; and if we can not be unified in opinions, we can be unified in mutual respect for one another - which is what this world is in very short supply of.

Ant.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Michael Moore is the shock jock for the liberal left.

I guess the liberal left needed one to counter the three dozen for the reactionary right.

Melon

Very good post Anthony and I fully agree with you. Just blurting out some blunt statements does not convert anyone. It becomes preaching to one own's choir. However, when said in a toned down statement the message may reach more people, people who may listen because it isn't very reactionary.

I'm reminded again about my sig-song. It's by Spearhead and they make great music; a blend of hip-hop/rap, soul, reggae, blues, etc. It sounds really accessible, with great melodies. This helps Michael Franti to get his message across, something he did not fully achieve with his former band, the Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy. The message has stayed the same, but somehow the public did not have much taste for industrial rap music...

C ya!

Marty

TripThruUreWires said:
I honestly consider Michael Moore to be the scum of the earth (actually, that's an understatement). The mere mention of his name makes my skin crawl. I propose that after Saddam and his cohort are taken care of, our US troops set out to capture this pompous S.O.B. Once they have him in custody, each and every one of our service men and women should be given one free shot at his balls (as small as they may be).

*btw, before anyone accuses me of being an ultra conservative Republican--you're completely off. i usually don't speak so harshly of any individual, but there is no other individual on the face of this planet who irritates me more than michael moore.

:bow:

and very well said anthony. :up:

Being antiwar does not mean you are antiAmerican. The fact that war protestors wish to have no war does not mean they don't care about the servicemen and women. In fact, that stance would keep more of them safe and alive.

War is the problem - not the solution.

The thing about Michael Moore is that he has the ability to share his information in a articulate and visual way via his documentaries. If you saw Bowling you would see that the gun industry is like the tobacco industry. 'We know our products are killing people but it sure provides a nice profit for our company.'

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well, I'm not the biggest fan of President Bush, but I booed Moore too. I bet he thought he'd get a standing O from "Hollywood". I think he dilutes his message and becomes somewhat of a caricature when he acts like that.

Just accept your award and be gracious. Maybe some of these people should just let their art be their statement. The truth according to Michael Moore is not necessarily everyone's truth. Is it more about his ego? I have to wonder...

Of course he has the right to make his statement, but other people made their own statements in a subtle, classy way.

:up:

Like Nicole Kidman's speech :yes: I think she made a strong point and it was classy and extremely emotional.

And I think that U2's statement could not have been more powerful. Bono was able to convey a very meaningful point: that everyone who's fighting in this war is someone else's child. I began to cry when he did that because it said so much, but it wasn't something tacky and anti-productive.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
fucking support them or get the god damn the hell out of my country.
oops!! i guess silly me thought for a moment that we were a democracy. guess i was wrong! :rolleyes:

MSU2mike said:
You're joking, right? Seriously, you must be joking.
yes of course, because i happen to agree with his stance on the war, i MUST be joking. what cracked me up most about the oscars was how NOT toned down it was. but most people went up there and spouted off about supporting the troops and how an aussie's world has changed since 9/11, and conveniently forgetting about the son she has. but i digress. anyone who went up there, even steve martin himself, and mentioned about how we should be supporting the troops didn't get booed. of course not, because they're expressing the right point-of-view. the more this war is progressing, the less people seem to be tolerant of others' opinions, on either side of the fence.

even after having a night to calm myself down a little... i still stand by my statements on moore. i was a little harsh on u2, after re-listening to the song it wasn't really that bad, i was just in a pissy mood over moore. they still annoy me over the whole thing though... but back to moore... i support every one's right to have their own opinion, and to speak their mind. and though i disagreed with these anti-war protests before the war, i agreed 100% with their right to protest. that's what makes the united states the greatest nation in the world. but once those bombs start flying, a little restraint needs to be shown. our boys are over there fighting for our very right to protest, for our right to free speach. if you don't like bush's policy, fine... next time around, don't vote for him. but i still stand by my closing comments... if you don't want to stand behind our troops and our commander-in-cheif in time of war, then get the hell out and don't ever come back.

and to these thousands of "professional protesters" who hop around from city to city and cause to cause, not really knowing exactly what they're protesting but just happy 'cause they're protesting something... realize that your actions are causing a severe security risk to yourself and the people around you. what would have happened if there was a terrorist attack the other day in New York City or in San Francisco while these protesters were illegaly blocking off traffic. What would have happened if abulances couldn't get to an incident fast enough because these people clogging up times square caused grid lock throughout midtown manhattan? what would have happened if a man with a backpack wandered his way right into the middle of one of these crowds... i still support your right to protest, but these people have to re-evaluate their thinking here as to how they go about doing it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom