MERGED-->FYM Election Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will you be voting for, for US President?

• Kerry

Votes: 171 66.0%
  • Bush

Votes: 74 28.6%
  • None. I'm a loser and won't vote.

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Other. I'm a loser too and would prefer to waste my vote on someone else in this tight race.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Undecided between Bush and Kerry.

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RTSS said:

But if you're a member of the Catholic Church (in this case with Mr. Kerry), you have to look at the way that this man represents you. If he talk about his Catholic religion, which he has, he's representing you on a world scale.

I'm a member of the Catholic Church and I have not a single issue with how he represents me on a world scale. Perverted priests? Now that bugs.

billboard2.jpg

This is from just outside Allentown, PA.

Subtle.

I agree, it's definitely not subtle. We have a board like that out here by Lansing.

Of course I'm not happy with perverted priests representing the Church either. To say I was would be lunacy (is that a word?).

Maybe you and I don't have the same understanding of Church teaching, but to my knoweldge, the Vatican has said that issues regarding abortion, stem-cell research, human cloning, etc. are on a higher level of importance than issues like the economy or health care. And, of course the Vatican has said that they don't agree with how the war on terror is being handled, they don't agree on how America is handling thousands of huiman lives each day (4,000 future of Americans are killed) either.

Whoops, shoulda read the 'eligible to vote' thing... ah well, another Kerry vote in Mass doesn't change much...

Kerry all the way :applaud:

Also a couple thoughts: not all lefties are pacifists. My personal opinion is that war is to be used wisely and as a last resort. I'm not for wussing out. Sept. 11 was a perfectly solid reason to go to war. But the Iraq war . . . that was another story.

And, God is neither Democrat nor Republican.

RTSS said:
Maybe you and I don't have the same understanding of Church teaching, but to my knoweldge, the Vatican has said that issues regarding abortion, stem-cell research, human cloning, etc. are on a higher level of importance than issues like the economy or health care.

Quotes?

I don't care what the Vatican deems to be important in the matters of administering a state. Christianity (Catholicism included) is not a theocracy and as such, Catholicism can and should dogmatically not influence matters of the state or government.

Islam and Judaism are theocracies, which is why religion permeates their entire social fabric including government. Christianity is something entirely different, look it up.

I do not think that Kerry can make that much out of his religion, Bush on the other hand can really reach out to the Christians.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,081
Last edited:
Earlier this year Cardinal Ratzinger, the pope's right hand man and a noted conservative, put out a statement about Catholics and voting in the political elections. He said that we have to look at the whole picture, every issue, pray, and then decide who we think is more conducive to a "culture of life". Since then some bishops in the U.S. have put out statements telling Catholics not to vote for politicians who don't accept the Church's teachings on abortion, gay marriage or stem cell research. However, this has been countered by Cardinal McCurran of Washington, who has made it clear that it's OK for Catholics to vote for Kerry if we so choose. We're voting for a President of the United States, not a President of the Catholic States. Hell, my own Protestant parents disagree with me on abortion. I respect their views. I'm the only member of my family who is even against abortion in principle. I happen not to think laws making abortion illegal would work. Rather, I pray for it to stop.

anitram said:

Quotes?

I don't care what the Vatican deems to be important in the matters of administering a state. Christianity (Catholicism included) is not a theocracy and as such, Catholicism can and should dogmatically not influence matters of the state or government.

Islam and Judaism are theocracies, which is why religion permeates their entire social fabric including government. Christianity is something entirely different, look it up.

:up: Antriram.

Let's not forget Catholic social teaching, which calls for solidarity with the poor. Matt 25-26 is esp. relevant to this. Christ speaks of separating the sheep and goats based on what they did for the sick, the hungary, prisoners, etc. (Think about how radical THAT is--how ready we are to instead JUDGE those in prison.) I see issues of economic justice and global peace as the ones which are of primary import, since they have the greatest impact on the life and well bring of the most people.

SD

Bush doing well among lower and middle income whites, whereas Kerry leads among whites earning more than $100,000 a year despite his promise to roll back the Bush tax cuts for people making more than $200,000 a year. As president, Bush has enacted big tax cuts for the rich but the rich are voting for Kerry. What's up here? The same poll shows that 2/3 of the people who attend a house of worship at least once a week are voting for Bush, whereas 60% of those who attend religious services less than once a week are voting for Kerry, in part because these voters recoil at Bush's constant use of religious imagery. Lower income whites like Bush's proposal to ban gay marriage but only a quarter believe his policies have been good for the economy. In contrast, affluent whites who have benefitted the most from the Bush tax cuts believe Bush's policies have hurt the economy. In short, far more than in previous years, economic policy is taking a back seat to cultural issues. The real divide seems to be between deeply religious lower income, lower education, voters living in small towns and rural areas who have conservative values on abortion and gay marriage versus higher income, higher education, secular, urban voters who have progressive views on cultural issues.

Just about everyone in my parish is voting for Bush. I've seen quite a few "W" buttons at mass. It's a very Republican district in a very Republican state, plus polls have shown that Bush has the majority of *practicing* Catholic votes. Practicing Catholics are more likely to really disapprove of Kerry's position on abortion. I think among Catholics as a whole it's more competitive, but I don't have any numbers to prove it.

A_Wanderer said:
But there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

I keep wondering if the polls are taking first-time voters into account. There are many of these. Voting workers right here in Birmingham have been swamped with new voter registrations, and I'm sure that's the case all over.

I do ask myself that same question, but I think that first time voters may be pretty evenly divided, well except for the dead ones :wink:

I expect most of the voters registering around here are Republicans. Hell will freeze over before this state goes Democratic again. There have been voting drives all over in both parties, so probably it's about even. There's no way to tell for sure, however.

Daily Endorsement Tally: Kerry Picks up 30 Papers, Widens Lead

By Greg Mitchell

Published: October 17, 2004 11:00 AM EDT

NEW YORK Sen. John Kerry picked up a raft of newspaper endorsements Sunday, widening his lead over President George W. Bush in this area.

Kerry gained the editorial backing of at least 30 papers while Bush won the support of 17 that we know of, giving Kerry the overall lead by 45-30 in E&P's exclusive tally. Kerry has more large papers on his side, maintaining his "circulation edge" at nearly 3-1, with approximately 8.7 million circ to Bush's 3.3 million. (See chart, with complete tally, below.)

Bush did pick up several major papers this weekend, earning the endorsements of the Chicago Tribune, The Arizona Republic, Denver's Rocky Mountain News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, The Indianapolis Star, and The Dallas Morning News.

Among Kerry's new supporters were five papers that had backed Bush in 2000: the Bradenton Herald in Florida, the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo., the Columbia Daily Tribune in Missouri, the Daily Herald in Arlington Heights, Ill., and The Muskegon (Mich.) Chronicle.

Three other papers that backed Bush in 2000 announced they would not support either candidate this year: The Tampa Tribune, the Wichita Falls Times Record News in Texas, and the Winston-Salem (N.C.) Journal.

Actually, in Alabama newspaper endorsements are considered the kiss of death for political candidates. Both of our major newspapers here in Birmingham endorsed Bush.:wink:

Well the whole business over at CBShave definitely buffered Bush when it comes to the flood of shock/horror stories right before the election - as one person asked - why would they go to air with such poor evidence, its almost like they have an agenda :wink:

And funnily enough FoxNews recieves the total lashing for being part of a huge government media control program because it is the odd one out in the bunch.

stupid poll. you're implying a vote for anyone other than bush and kerry makes you a "loser"?

while kerry is certainly the lesser evil, he's hardly a trustworthy man either.

No, I am saying that there are some sections of the mainstream media that would gladly cover up damaging information about Kerry but will throw a jihad at Bush over information of questionable reliability.

Credibility goes out the window when it is for the greater good, which in this case would be getting rid of Bush and installing Kerry.

If you vote for Kerry you may or may not be an idiot, just as Bush. Nader and Misc voters may or may not be idiots.

Last edited:
Election results show how one-sided FYM really is...

The ongoing poll in FYM on who would win the election was almost 2:1 Kerry for several months, yet the election results tell a completely different story.

It just goes to show how one-sided and liberal FYM really is. This forum does not fairly represent America and never has.

Re: Election results show how one-sided FYM really is...

Zoocoustic said:
The ongoing poll in FYM on who would win the election was almost 2:1 Kerry for several months, yet the election results tell a completely different story.

It just goes to show how one-sided and liberal FYM really is. This forum does not fairly represent America and never has.

That's a shame.

This forum is not designed to represent America.

First, it is an international forum.

Second, I suspect it has a younger demographic than the US population at large.

Third, thank God for the regular members here. I would poke my eyes out if this were a "ditto head" forum.

My point is not that this should represent America, rather, that so many lefties here claimed that the FYM poll was some sort of guide for how the election would turn out.

Didn't even come close to being a reality.

Zoocoustic said:
My point is not that this should represent America, rather, that so many lefties here claimed that the FYM poll was some sort of guide for how the election would turn out.

Didn't even come close to being a reality.

Perhaps some got lulled into a false sense of security by reading the left leaning posts. You always run a danger when you hang out exclusively with like minded people.

I think that level of debate in FYM, however, is high enough that both side learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom