MERGED--> Discussion on Bush nominating Condi for Sec. of State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but she's got mad game, props to the lady:up:
i want my little girls to grow up like Condi:)
bushrice.jpg

Condi has let nothing get in her way.
That is very comendable.
She is focused, determined and an accomplished indivual.

I see those some of those traits in my own children as well.
Makes me proud.:wink:
3423993523232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3DXROQDF%3E232365593%3C%3A%3B5ot1lsi

db9

Last edited:
paxetaurora said:
Her Olive Oyl hairdo could use an update, though.
Probably... but I'm not going to suggest that she or Albright needs plastic surgery or anything like that. That would be offensive to intellectuals everywhere. :uhoh:

Radio Host Calls Rice 'Aunt Jemima'

By JAMES A. CARLSON, Associated Press Writer

MILWAUKEE - A radio talk show host drew criticism Thursday after calling Condoleezza Rice an "Aunt Jemima" and saying she isn't competent to be secretary of state

John Sylvester, the program director and morning personality on WTDY-AM in Madison, said in a phone interview Thursday that he used the term on Wednesday's show to describe Rice and other blacks as having only a subservient role in the Bush administration.

Sylvester, who is white, also referred to Powell as an "Uncle Tom" — a contemptuous term for a black whose behavior toward whites is regarded as fawning or servile.

He said Thursday night that he was referring to remarks by singer and civil rights activist Harry Belafonte that the price of admittance for blacks to the Bush White House was subservience.

As for Rice, "they're using her for an illusion of inclusion," he said, adding that he feels her history as national security adviser showed a lack of competence.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz called the remarks "racially insensitive," while Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., said in a statement he joined "all Wisconsinites in rejecting" the statements.

Linda Hoskins of the NAACP's Madison branch said she could not comment on Sylvester's remarks until she had heard them in their entirety.

The station's corporate office received about 100 calls about his comments, Sylvester said.

He added that he has a long history of commitment to civil rights and has supported Madison's black community.

He said he was planning a giveaway on Friday's show of Aunt Jemima pancake mix and syrup. "I will apologize to Aunt Jemima," he said.( :rolleyes: what a sarcastic jerk)

I don't know what his beef is. He could just be taking his differences too far though.

STING2 said:
Can you name a single Secretary of State that has ever served two full Presidential Terms?

I know that it's rare, and I know most of what you said above (Powell knowing what he was getting himself into etc). However, you can't deny that there was friction between the two groups, that Powell often saw a different way than Bush & Co, sometimes had his way (UN) and sometimes didn't. Surf through all the conservative websites on the net and they're all cheering the removal of Powell for those very reasons.

Can I ask why is it when a lefty calls Condi "Aunt Jamima" and Colin Powell "Uncle Tom" it equals a slap on the wrist but if O'Reilly were to use those names to describe a particular black person the gates of hell would open.

A_Wanderer said:
Can I ask why is it when a lefty calls Condi "Aunt Jamima" and Colin Powell "Uncle Tom" it equals a slap on the wrist but if O'Reilly were to use those names to describe a particular black person the gates of hell would open.

I don't know, I don't run any media networks, I'm not a pundit, what the hell do I know..........:wink:

A_Wanderer said:

The power of racial politics.....

I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I'm guessing that the black community is no fan of O'Reilly.

Back
Top Bottom