MERGED--> Canada places US, Israel on torture watch list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anitram

Blue Crack Addict
Canada places U.S., Israel on torture watch list

OTTAWA -- Foreign Affairs has put the United States and Israel on a watch list of countries where prisoners risk being tortured and also classifies some U.S. interrogation techniques as torture, according to a document obtained by Reuters Thursday.

Other countries on the watch list include Syria, China, Iran, Afghanistan, Mexico and Saudi Arabia.

A spokeswoman at the U.S. embassy said she was looking into the report. No one was immediately available for comment at the Israeli embassy.

More here.

Yes, but as you know they torture better because they destroy their video tapes after the interrogation, and only do so with real terrorists (just as the inquisition did with those real witches).

Canada: Prisoners may be at risk of torture in the United States

U.S. in Canada manual as possible torture site

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- A Canadian Foreign Affairs Department document includes the United States and Israel in a series of countries where prisoners are at risk of being tortured and abused, according to a document released Friday.

The training manual for Canadian diplomats also lists Afghanistan, China, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Syria as possible places of torture.

The manual lists U.S. interrogation techniques such as forced nudity, blindfolding, sleep deprivation and light under the heading "Definition of Torture" and names Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as a site of possible torture and abuse.

The manual inadvertently was released to attorneys for Amnesty International who are working on a lawsuit involving alleged abuse of Afghan detainees by local Afghan authorities after Canadian troops have handed them over.

"The document in question is a training manual. It is not a policy document or any kind of a statement of policy," said Neil Hrab, a spokesman for Canada's Foreign Affairs Department. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/01/18/canada.torture.list.ap/index.html

Jeannieco said:
Us yanks are in fine company aren't we? I am so embarrassed to be an American these days.

:ohmy:

That must mean you are a terrorist sympathizer. And how can anyone be unpatriotic in a time of war, you are un-American. You just want to accept defeat against those terrorists.

:wink:

No I agree 200%, I feel the same way. I went to Europe a few years ago and told people that I am Canadian because not only was I embarassed, but I was afraid of getting hurt.

Last edited:
Are those smelly foreigners are so dumb and violent that they would beat you up for being an American?

A_Wanderer said:
Are those smelly foreigners are so dumb and violent that they would beat you up for being an American?

Well considering that so many places I would go I would see graffiti writings such as "Fuck Bush" and "Fuck America," you never know.

If you saw the people that made those graffitis you wouldn't worry anymore. :wink:

What happens is that they very quickly then start an argument about the US's foreign policy, the war, arrogance, free market capitalism etc. which also is pretty embarrassing and sometimes annoying because American tourists certainly don't want to discuss those issues when at a party.
But we also will kindly offer you asylum. :wink:

Vincent Vega said:

What happens is that they very quickly then start an argument about the US's foreign policy, the war, arrogance, free market capitalism etc. which also is pretty embarrassing and sometimes annoying because American tourists certainly don't want to discuss those issues when at a party.

:crack:

omg. flashbacks from living in europe and having semi-drunken arguments about the legitimacy of banana tariffs and how they're a neo-colonialist practice that virtuous Europe would never engage in but the big, mean United States does.

Back
Top Bottom