MERGED: Assault Weapons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

Well, our President says Americans are safer now..I guess we'll be even more safe once this is allowed to expire

Here is some info I received in an e-mail-yes, it is from moveon.org

In 2000, President Bush campaigned on a promise to renew the ban. Yet today, after we've endured mass murders like Columbine and terrorists have bought assault weapons on American soil, President Bush is letting the ban expire.

Bush is jeopardizing our safety for the sake of an endorsement from the National Rifle Association. As reported in the newspaper The Hill, "The National Rifle Association's (NRA) endorsement of Bush is on hold until after the ban expires."[1]

Since 1994, the assault weapons ban has taken the deadliest military- style weapons off our streets, dramatically cutting their use in crimes by 66 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Justice, and reducing the murder rates of police officers and the public.

This is not a partisan issue -- the assault weapons ban was supported by Presidents Reagan, Ford, Carter, and Clinton, and by Republicans Tom Ridge and Rudy Giuliani. The ban is supported by 74 percent of American voters, by Republicans and Democrats on the committees that investigated 9/11, and by virtually every police officers' association including the Major Cities Chiefs Association, International Brotherhood of Police Officers , National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), National Black Police Association, and Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association.

Yet President Bush is letting the ban expire, as he refuses to call on Congress to send him the ban renewal for his signature.

Footnote:
[1] The Hill, "Gun makers get ready for big demand," September 2, 2004

If anyone's interested, you can sign a petition at moveon.org, or call the White House at 1- 202-456-1111

or of course your Reps and Senators

Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

MrsSpringsteen said:
In 2000, President Bush campaigned on a promise to renew the ban. Yet today, after we've endured mass murders like Columbine and terrorists have bought assault weapons on American soil, President Bush is letting the ban expire

Don't you just hate flip-floppers? :angry:

Last edited:
Thank you, BostonAnne! :bow:

One thing that has always amazed me is that the same people who rant and rave the most about terrorists in the world are the same people who want to see the instruments that these people use (assault weapons) freely able for almost anyone to purchase! :eyebrow:

Somehow, that doesn't make sense to me. :scratch:

I fully support a peaceful world, and history tells me that we won't have one with increased violence in the world. :(

Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert.

- Dr Martin Luther King Jr. :angel:

Well, I don't believe The Hill is an unbiased source, but as far as I know the rest of that info in the e-mail is accurate

It's deeply troubling to me if Bush is failing to extend the ban in order to gain NRA support. Only he could answer that allegation of course, but I'm not holding my breath..

Klaus said:
MrsSpringsteen

Well the Republican party members need the Assault Weapons so that they can follow Mr Bush to find ways to attack America and prepare for the terror attack if Mr. Bush gets unemployed in the next months :wink:

I won't say I haven't thought this, either. :| Especially after hearing on the radio today that it's been charged against Kerry that if he wins, America will be attacked by terrorists again. I don't have any source besides the radio and frankly don't care to look, but it doesn't surprise me if it's true the "prophecy" is out there.

ABC News also reported the story last night that the NRA will endorse Bush after the ban expires on Monday

They also talked about how Democrats won't push for the renewal because they are so afraid of the political power of the NRA

:down:

Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

MrsSpringsteen said:
Footnote:
[1] The Hill, "Gun makers get ready for big demand," September 2, 2004

If anyone's interested, you can sign a petition at moveon.org, or call the White House at 1- 202-456-1111

or of course your Reps and Senators [/B]

Oh boy, can't wait :down:

How can the NRA have so much political power? That doesn't seem right.

We're getting down to the wire here.

Re: Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

BostonAnne said:

How can the NRA have so much political power? That doesn't seem right.

Answer: $$$

I pray one day my children will have politicians with backbones.

Re: Re: Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Answer: $$$

I pray one day my children will have politicians with backbones.

Where do you think the NRA gets its money? It is not a big corporation.

It comes from members - people who enjoy owning and using a gun. People who also vote.

Do they really have to own and use assault weapons?

Like someone mentioned in that ABC News piece, the irony is that more assault weapons could be on the street in the US after this ban is allowed to expire than are in the hands of the insurgents in Iraq.

There was a mother in the same ABC piece last night who lost her son to a person who shot him w/ an assault weapon. She was holding his picture and wondering how the President could allow this ban to expire.

Outside of law enforcement, what legitimate purpose does an assault weapon have? Why would the average American EVER need one? Hunting? Self defense?

This is disgusting. Shame on Congress and Mr. Bush.

The NRA is also purchasing 30 minute anti-Kerry infomercials for the battleground states.

The Dems have tried to bring the issue to the floor of both the House and the Senate this week and several times this summer. Frist and Hasert won't allow it to come to the floor for a vote. This allows them to pacify the NRA but not be on record with a vote not to renew.

Several police organizations are petitioning in DC this week trying to force a vote.

I'm not surprised that police organizations are fighting for a vote. It's not like we're going to arm police officers with assault weapons--why are we going to make their jobs dramatically more difficult and dangerous by allowing any old nutjob to buy one?

Although I'm sure there are some who would say we SHOULD arm police officers accordingly...

:mad: "thank you" BUsh, most Republicans, NRA and surely some Democrats for NOT renewing this NECESSARY ban.

as far as I'm concerned any new deaths caused by the new influx of Asault Weapons [their only purpose is to kill as many people as possible in the shortess amount of time- which is quite alot] the people above will have blood on their hands. :madspit:

and any hunter with a gun who uses them [AW] is either the lousiest shot in the world, unexcusible & unconciously lazy or some kind of sadist IMHO.

<"opinionated" woman, here>

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Assault Weapons Ban Expires Next Week

nbcrusader said:

Where do you think the NRA gets its money? It is not a big corporation.

It comes from members - people who enjoy owning and using a gun. People who also vote.

I realize that, but it doesn't make it right.

sorry to post so much text, but it's from an e-mail and I think it's fairly important :)

On Wednesday, reporters asked President Bush's spokesman, Scott McClellan, what the White House was doing to renew the Assault Weapons Ban. Here's the text of the discussion:

Q: The assault weapons ban expires in just a few days. Can you list for us the many things the President might be doing to encourage Congress to send him the bill that he said he would sign?

MR. McCLELLAN: The President's views have been made very clear, and the best way we can reduce crimes committed with guns is to strictly enforce our laws. And prosecutions under this administration are up. I think it's -- well, it's more than 60 percent -- I think 68 percent over the previous administration. That's the best way to crack down on crimes committed with guns. That's an important issue here in terms of the assault weapons ban. He's made his views very well-known.

Q: And his view is he'll sign it if --

MR. McCLELLAN: He's made his views known as recently as this week.

Q: His view is he'll sign it if it comes to him. Is he doing anything to make sure he --

MR. McCLELLAN: The President supports the reauthorization of current law.

Q: What is he doing to actively make sure is he doing anything to make sure he --

MR. McCLELLAN: The President doesn't set the congressional timetable.

Q: No, but he can lobby for it.

MR. McCLELLAN: Congress sets the timetable. And the President's views are very clear.

Q: Has he made any calls or anything to encourage this to happen?

MR. McCLELLAN: What we've continued to do -- because this issue does go to the issue of crimes committed with guns, as well -- and what we've continued to do is step up our efforts to prosecute crimes committed with guns and strictly enforce our laws. And that's the best way we can deter violence committed with guns.

Q: But he did something this week?

Q: But he's not doing anything to make sure this doesn't lapse on the 13th?

MR. McCLELLAN: We'll continue to make our views known.

Q: You said he had done something this week.

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I said we've continued to make our views known. This week, as well.

Q: To who?

MR. McCLELLAN: Publicly.

Q: Did he speak about it publicly?

MR. McCLELLAN: We have, the White House has.

Um, OK...

nbcrusader said:
If Bush is ready to sign the bill, why isn't Kerry back in the Senate getting it passed?

I wondered the same thing. From the links I just read, it appears that there is more of a chance to get a bill passed if Bush pressured congress than it is to get congress to work together as a team to present one. There wasn't enough congressional support to start the process. Why would there be a lack of congressional support on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/10/assault.weapons.ban/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12186-2004Sep10.html

Kerry, campaigning in Missouri, accused Bush of kowtowing to the National Rifle Association by refusing to press for congressional extension of a 10-year-old ban on sales of assault weapons. Failure to push for renewal of the ban, which expires Monday, raises questions about Bush's commitment to fighting terrorism, Kerry charged.

"In the al Qaeda manual on terror, they were telling people to go out and buy assault weapons, to come to America and buy assault weapons," Kerry said at a town hall meeting in St. Louis. "You can't fight a war on terror and you can't make our streets safe . . . selling assault weapons in the streets of America" he said. "But George Bush . . . never pushed the Congress to pass it, never stood up, caves in to the NRA, gives in to the special interests, and America's streets will not be as safe because of the choice George Bush is making."

Spokesmen for Bush said he was willing to sign an extension if Congress passed one. Republican congressional leaders have said there is not enough support for such a bill.

In a statement, Kerry asked, "Why is George Bush making the job of the terrorists easier and making the job for America's police officers harder? Here's the answer: the NRA put the squeeze on George Bush and they're spending tens of millions of dollars to support his campaign. . . ."

Kerry added that he supports the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution on the right to bear arms and has been a hunter all his life. "But I don't think we need to make the job of the terrorists any easier."

BostonAnne said:
I wondered the same thing. From the links I just read, it appears that there is more of a chance to get a bill passed if Bush pressured congress than it is to get congress to work together as a team to present one. There wasn't enough congressional support to start the process.

That's just spin.

If Kerry wanted to show leadership, he would be on the floor calling for the extension of the ban, instead of saying Bush should be putting more pressure on Kerry's branch of government.....

nbcrusader said:

That's just spin.

If Kerry wanted to show leadership, he would be on the floor calling for the extension of the ban, instead of saying Bush should be putting more pressure on Kerry's branch of government.....

If Kerry could be 2 people, I'm sure he would have.

MrsSpringsteen said:
ABC News also reported the story last night that the NRA will endorse Bush after the ban expires on Monday

They also talked about how Democrats won't push for the renewal because they are so afraid of the political power of the NRA

:down:

:sigh:

I didn't know about this, thanks :(

I guess I would say that the role of congressman has even less effect on the public than the President.

Perhaps 10 Congressman's words would have the effect of 1 President?

If Bush was truly for this banning assualt weapons, I don't think he would hide behind "well, I'll pass it if it comes" and would urge congress to present something.

I dislike all the time a politician loses while running for positions. This includes Kerry's time AND Bush's time. I think there should be a better way than the current system.

Back
Top Bottom