MERGED: Arafat Knocking on Deaths Door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sharky said:
My point was, nbc said France was going to hide it. why all the france bashing AGAIN?

If he dies, he dies. It is not the job of the French government to tell us he's croaked.

he said that he doubts france has anything to hide. i interpret that as france will tell the truth.

Considering his age and health, it's pretty safe to assume his position in the remnants of the PLO is effectively non-existent. The man does seem to have the immortal constitution of a Keith Richards though...

sharky said:
My point was, nbc said France was going to hide it. why all the france bashing AGAIN?

If he dies, he dies. It is not the job of the French government to tell us he's croaked.

What is the France bashing? He is in a hospital run by the French government. All I stated was that the French government would have no reason to keep his death a secret. How is that France bashing???????

If anything, France stepped up with a humanitarian gesture towards a person many would like to see dead.

But is that than any different than sending military in refugee camps killing 'presumed militants' while destroying homes? Or firing missiles from helicopters in said refugee camps. Now, no doubt there can be real militants there, but is it then immediately necessary to kill everyone who isn't kissing your butt?

From Hell's Heart I Stab At Thee; To Arafat - F O A D!

*If I was a mass murdering sadist then I would expect people to say nothing less on my deathbed.

**When the hell is a French Summer when you need it?

Last edited:
I think Sharon and Arafat may someday be roommates up in the big pie in the sky.

I work with mostly Jews from Israel, and not a single one of them, regardless of whether they are orthodox or secular, conservative or liberal, support Sharon nor do they find him to be conducive to peace.

Arafat has been promoting terrorism for years. I don't think that when he dies there will be relief for those who have already paid with their lives foolishly, in this man's name. It's always the people who suffer in the name of the politicians.

I have Middle East fatigue in a way - very little confidence that anything there will change in the near future. How terribly sad.

^ The Odd Couple :wink:

I think that there is cause for optimism, the intafada is effectively over, suicide homocide bombings are way down and the terrorist groups are effectively impotent - when Palestinians come to the table in good faith Israel will come too. They were so close with the Barak plan which was very generous - I expect that with Arafat out of the picture and the end products of the internal strife could yeild a solution.

I think the Palestinians can't do anything without an effective leader. They need somebody young and progressive to fight for them, but to fight fairly, and not incite violence and hatred. I don't see anyone right now in their leadership who has those sorts of qualities, it's just the same old corrupt bastards who have desecrated the place.

Frankly, I believe a lot of the blame needs to go squarely on the shoulders of the neighbouring Arab countries who love their Palestinian "brothers and sisters" so much, but only enough to watch them die as martyrs for a cause, not enough to help them achieve a fair peace or hope for the future. They should be ashamed of themselves for this type of exploitation.

anitram said:
Frankly, I believe a lot of the blame needs to go squarely on the shoulders of the neighbouring Arab countries who love their Palestinian "brothers and sisters" so much, but only enough to watch them die as martyrs for a cause, not enough to help them achieve a fair peace or hope for the future. They should be ashamed of themselves for this type of exploitation.

To a certain degree, I think the neighboring Arab countries keep Palestinians in this perpetual state so they remain a thorn in Israel's side.

Yasser Arafat "comatose", possibly brain-dead

I read that this morning, and it got me thinking...would it be better to have Arafat still alive, or to have someone else in power? B/c Arafat seemed to not have that much sway, but my fear is that someone more radical might come in after him. My hope is that a more middle-ground person might come in (and that Sharon doesn't back down on giving back parts of the West Bank/Gaza) What do you think?

edited to say...

Oops. I missed this thread. Guess I'll just join in.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
What is the France bashing? He is in a hospital run by the French government. All I stated was that the French government would have no reason to keep his death a secret. How is that France bashing???????

If anything, France stepped up with a humanitarian gesture towards a person many would like to see dead.

Sorry I thought you were being sarcastic.

Speaking of sarcastic, Arafat has risen from the dead more than Jesus. Get it over with already.

Well, if the guy isn't already dead he will be soon. The Palestinians need progressive leadership. This "suicide bomber" mentality of theirs has got to go. It's incredibly reactionary and counterproductive. That about describes too much of the leadership of that part of the world, unfortunately. They're living under the illusion of a golden age that never existed. The seventh century era of the "pure Islam" of the Wahhabists was no golden age. Until they can break that illusion, they're f:censored:d.

CNN's site is reporting that Arafat is having a brain hemorrhage. This apparently started last night, French time. The site doesn't say anything about him being dead.

This Arafat is dead, not dead, in a coma, dead, not dead, thing is eerily reminiscent of the circumstances surrounding Franco's death which resulted in the hilarious SNL skit where Chevy Chase, doing the news, for months would say, "This just in: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

I'm not going to believe that he's dead unless I get a "breaking news" report from CNN by e-mail. Until then I'll just consider it a rumor. It does look like he isn't long for this world.

I think he's been dead for days, and they just don't want to say yet in fear of an uprising or a power struggle that might set off violence. That would explain the conflicting reports. This could be their way of testing what the response is going to be before they make it official.

On the same note as the SNL 'still dead' jokes, anybody remember Monty Python's "The Rutles: All You Need is Cash"? they said if you play a certain song backwards it says "Stig has been dead for ages, honestly" (of course a parody of The Beatles and the McCartney death clues)

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
This Arafat is dead, not dead, in a coma, dead, not dead, thing is eerily reminiscent of the circumstances surrounding Franco's death which resulted in the hilarious SNL skit where Chevy Chase, doing the news, for months would say, "This just in: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

:lmao:

too bad the younger members of the board won't remember those skits.

nbcrusader said:

:lmao:

I was counting on you and deep to validate my humor. :lol:

nbcrusader said:

Hey, I don't even remember Chevy Chase (or at least, I try not to remember Chevy Chase)!

Back
Top Bottom