Meet Bono? I'm not interested, says Canadian PM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
untitledue1.png

I dislike Steven Harper, but this article made me laugh :lol:

Harper denies accusations of short-circuiting aid agreement

Andrew Mayeda, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, June 08, 2007

HEILIGENDAMM, Germany -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday denied allegations by Irish rock star Bono that Canadian foot-dragging prevented G8 leaders from committing to firm targets on aid to Africa.

Leaders of the eight industrialized nations promised to meet a past promise to double aid to Africa by 2010, but anti-poverty activists were disappointed that the G8 did not commit to any further aid or say exactly how they would reach the 2010 goal.

At a news conference Friday, Bono slammed Canada for being a "laggard" in African aid. The U2 front man has long campaigned for more money to alleviate poverty and disease on the continent.

But Harper flatly rejected the accusation that Canadian officials tried to water down a summit communique.

"I can say with absolute certainty that Canada was not blocking anything on this," Harper told reporters at this Baltic Sea resort, where G8 leaders have gathered for their annual summit.

So is Harper trying to water down this aid?

I can't say what exactly he did or said to other members of the conference, but I am inclined to believe Bob and Bono, who have been at this a great deal longer, over Harper who I know nothing of.
Something behind the scenes was going on, otherwise why would anyone go to B & B and tell them this?

Back
Top Bottom