Me and the President in Youngstown, Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drivemytrabant

War Child
On Wednesday--I'll be attending a rally for President Bush--and the President will be there to deliver a speech. This will be my second rally this year--the first was in Canton, Ohio (home of the pro football hall of fame). Whatever side of the isle you hail from--this is a very exciting event. They compare quite well to a high school pep rally until the President arrives. A bunch of local elected officials and party leaders yell out a bunch of crap and lead the crowd in numerous chants of "4 more years" which I didn't participate in. After all that is done--there are secret service agents combing the audience with their eyes--looking for liberals I guess. :wink: Then there is a truly magic moment (for me anyway) when one of the SS agents comes to the podium and attaches the Seal of the President of the United States. The lights dim like its an NBA game and the President enters, shakes hands and continues to the podium with (usually) some lackey running for congress glued to his side. The speeches are usually not the best written--but W. delivers them very well and he plays to a crowd rather nicely. The speech isn't really meant for you--I mean if you are there you already are voting for the guy most likely--but more geared toward the area he is in. The President always talks about jobs when he comes to northeast Ohio. Last time I was about 6 inches from the pres--and my brother in law got to shake his hand. Has anyone ever been to one of these? If you have been to one for Kerry--I was wondering if they had the same sort of electricity. Mr. Kerry has been to Ohio so much over the last 4 months I think he could apply for a citizenship. Some say Ohio could decide the election--and I think it could if Bush loses. No republican has ever lost Ohio and won the white house.

That sounds like alot of fun. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it and feel really energized. I always feel energized when I go to a political event. I have been to three parties at the local Kerry headquarters. It was really cool to meet other supporters, local Democratic politicians, and eat free chocolate! :drool:

drivemytrabant said:
Mr. Kerry has been to Ohio so much over the last 4 months I think he could apply for a citizenship.

In the last week and a half, Bush will go to Ohio only once more (to the event you will be attending), unless significant changes are made to his schedule.

A number of people are now suggesting he is ready to concede the state to Kerry, and instead move on to WI, IA, MN.

Re: Re: Me and the President in Youngstown, Ohio

anitram said:

In the last week and a half, Bush will go to Ohio only once more (to the event you will be attending), unless significant changes are made to his schedule.

A number of people are now suggesting he is ready to concede the state to Kerry, and instead move on to WI, IA, MN.

Interesting. They say no Republican has won without Ohio....

I can't wait for this to be over already!

SD

Paul Begala told a friend of mine that he has access to private polls and they're very different from what we're seeing on TV and in the papers...Kerry has the lead. A few days before the Iowa caucus none of the regular polls (except Zogby) had Kerry in the lead in Iowa, but all the private polls had kerry in the lead. We'll see on Nov. 2/3rd.

The party that gets the most people to the polls next Tuesday wins.

Constant vigilance!

When you see him would you please tell him to stop having his people harrass me with five phone calls a day because (1) I already voted and it wasn't for him and (2) I haven't voted Republican since 1980 when I was young and stupid. :wink:

Oh and have a good time. Sounds like a great American experience. :up:

joyfulgirl said:
When you see him would you please tell him to stop having his people harrass me with five phone calls a day because (1) I already voted and it wasn't for him and (2) I haven't voted Republican since 1980 when I was young and stupid. :wink:

:
?:angry:

It's going to be one of the longest weeks in my life, that's for sure.
*is fanatically working on my history sites*

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:

Oh and have a good time. Sounds like a great American experience. :up:

A friend of mine who works at the art studio voted for Bush Sr. in 1992. He's voting for Kerry this year, and says he didn't know anything when he cast that vote. I was shocked when he told me how he'd voted in 1992 because he's such a partisan Democrat now. You learn something new every day.

verte76 said:

A friend of mine who works at the art studio voted for Bush Sr. in 1992. He's voting for Kerry this year, and says he didn't know anything when he cast that vote. I was shocked when he told me how he'd voted in 1992 because he's such a partisan Democrat now. You learn something new every day.

Yes, I 'fessed up over in Zoo Confessionals one day. It was my first election and I was still under heavy parental influence. I guess that makes me a FLIP FLOP. :ohmy:

we get tons of bush stuff in the mail. RNC stuff too. it's so annoying. i want to get big pretty pictures of KERRY and of course EDWARDS, not pictures of bush in his cowbooy get-up!

Re: Re: Me and the President in Youngstown, Ohio

anitram said:

The President is down in most of the polls I'm seeing here in Ohio--but mostly within the margin of error. The more interesting race right now I think is PA where Bush is down only 2 in most polls.

There was talk tonight about the election at a class we had after afternoon mass. Most of my parish is for Bush. One of the Bush supporters was complaining that he has to spend the next week in Massachusetts! I think we are all nervous. I really do think it will boil down to Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Me and the President in Youngstown, Ohio

drivemytrabant said:

The President is down in most of the polls I'm seeing here in Ohio--but mostly within the margin of error. The more interesting race right now I think is PA where Bush is down only 2 in most polls.

I don't believe Bush has any shot at PA anymore. In fact, I think internal polling is what is making him concede both PA and OH.

U2democrat said:
we get tons of bush stuff in the mail. RNC stuff too. it's so annoying. i want to get big pretty pictures of KERRY and of course EDWARDS, not pictures of bush in his cowbooy get-up!
Just wanted to chime in here U2democrat I am a registered Democrat and I got a lovely autographed pic of Kerry and Edwards in the mail.If you join up I am sure they will send you one too!

Back
Top Bottom