McKenna Won't Run For Liberal Leadership

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RavenBlue

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...nna_leadership_060130/20060130?hub=TopStories

Well crap! Scott Brison was my second choice though, so this could still work out.

I was sure I read an article in the paper last week where McKenna said something along the lines of " you can bet your house' on the fact he was going to run.

:shrug: Oh well. :sigh: I was having thoughts about how great it would be to have a Prime Minister from NB. Maybe next time eh?

Very surprising.

As much as the West (ie. Alberta) constantly crows about having no representation, the Maritimes are much worse.

... and so the plot thickens. :hmm:

it's a shame, because he would have been a great candidate.

i can't really see that belinda stronach is seriously in the running. she's still a tad too controversial and far too new to the political scene. although it would be rather enjoyable on a certain level to see her running against stephen harper for leadership of the country. i'm not sure it's what i want to see happen, though.

michael ignatieff is a political newbie as well. but maybe that's the direction the liberals are looking to take, someone new without much political baggage.

Michael Ignatieff, IMO, is a shoe-in, not necessarily for winning the leadership race, but for running in the first place.

Does anyone really think that a guy who held the most prestigious academic chair on human rights left the #1 ranked university in the world to be a dinky MP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore? After 30 years of living abroad? Not a chance.

I'm betting on Brian Tobin, the ex-Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, to make a strong push--especially now with McKenna out of the running. Things could get very interesting in Ottawa if he gets it. Harper and Tobin are roughly the same age, I believe. I can really envision them going head-to-head in some heated debates.

I've heard some nasty things about Tobin, plus I can't see Canada voting for a newfie, we aren't exactly the favoured sons of Canada. I know it's a small-minded view but people still ridicule people from Newfoundland and not in a friendly way. Tobin's problem could be his political history and private business life. Ignatieff will be hammered for not being in Canada for decades plus he supported the Iraq war. Stronach has no experience plus the whole crossing the floor thing. This one will be up for grabs for sure. Maybe some old school guy from the Chretien era will resurface, I dunno.:shrug: I just tossing out my first reactions to the names.

trevster2k said:
I've heard some nasty things about Tobin, plus I can't see Canada voting for a newfie, we aren't exactly the favoured sons of Canada. I know it's a small-minded view but people still ridicule people from Newfoundland and not in a friendly way. .

Yeah, it is a small-minded view...:huh: Those comments are rather uninspiring. A Newfoundlander for Prime Minister? God, how can we even fathom such a thing? I mean, that’s almost as big as imagining one of us as the chief of national defense, or perhaps one of the most electrifying players on the Montreal Canadiens. If I really try hard, I can almost picture a bunch of us becoming some of the funniest comedians in the world.

I think it can be argued that many of the best elements of Canada are actually here...and many Canadians would concur. Maybe you've been away too long?

Anyhoooo....Tobin's officially out of the race now. Someone should call Rick Mercer.

Back
Top Bottom