May I have your autograph Mr. President?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
capt.1059092783.bush_cdh111.jpg

:shame: :shame: :shame:

Since i never understood the problems some have whene someone is "abusing" this flag....

What are people allowed to do with this star spangled banner?

From my naive point i have no problem when a president signes it (but well i have no problem if a protester likes to burn that flag either)

Klaus

Lilly said:
are you sure it isn't photoshopped?

I am not sure...it made its way through Reuters, that is where I got it from.

The lighting on Bush's left hand is different from the rest of the photo. So is the lighting on the hand giving the flag to him. I think it's photoshopped.

theres a problem with the american president signing an american flag?
i dont get it
guy lafleur (the flower), a montreal canadiens great, signed my canadian flag. is that bad?

From the US Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8 (g):

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

In other words, yes it is wrong to mark up a flag, even if it is with the president's signature. I think it may be different from wearing something like a flag in your jacket. the actual defacement of the flag is illegal.

I remember being in the school's color guard in third grade. we had to raise the flag every day and take it down at the end of the day. Couldn't touch the ground. had to be folded a certain way. and I had to take it down in the middle of a rain storm so it wouldn't get wet.

80sU2isBest said:
The lighting on Bush's left hand is different from the rest of the photo. So is the lighting on the hand giving the flag to him. I think it's photoshopped.

So if it is real how should he be punished?

it's not real.

and there's not like a punishment one can dish out for that.

klaus: burning the flag is only legal if in protest. even when you're done with an american flag, you need to turn it in to be properly destroyed.

i think it more comes back to how americans view their flag. we look at it as a sacred symbol of our country, the lives lost and what they were sacrificed for. there are a lot of rules surrounding flag treatment and it's because of the immense pride there is in the flag.

deep said:

you know this?

or this is you opinion?

here is a link

it's my opinion - though i could reference the new york times scandal and say that when the guy said "this runs far more deep than just me" i could point out that it still could be photoshopped.

but i'm lazy and don't want to make up a conspiracy theory.

Lilly said:

it's my opinion - though i could reference the new york times scandal and say that when the guy said "this runs far more deep than just me" i could point out that it still could be photoshopped.

but i'm lazy and don't want to make up a conspiracy theory.

I thought it might be a fake when I first saw it, too.

So I tried to run it down, find the fraud.

It seemed to check out.

W probably just complied with the wishes of his adoring fans.

I don't think it is a big deal.

If Hillary or Bill had done it ..

Hell, they would probably have took out a lighter

Here are some fakes

W reads

Dasclel the lefty

heh...I was driving through newfoundland on the way back from the states and I saw someone in badger with an american flag up. I thought it was nice, but I also noticed the flag was shredded cos of the wind and I thought an american would hate that if they saw it cos they basically worship the flag.

Basstrap said:
and I thought an american would hate that if they saw it cos they basically worship the flag.

Speaking for myself, I don't worship anything or anyone but my God.

That's a bit of a generalization there, perhaps? :)

I have reverence and respect for my flag because of the history and the ideals that it represents for me, and therefore I believe it should be respected. That's all :)

The flag is the symbol of our country that has nothing to do with politics. It goes beyond political creeds. I have a flag sticker on my car, which I put on it soon after 9/11, and one on my dresser mirror. My mother also has a flag sticker on her dresser mirror. People of all political persuasions respect the flag. That's not possible with any president because he's always political. We are liberals, and it's our flag too. I think my family felt more strongly about the flag after 9/11 because *we* got attacked, all of us. We didn't have flag stickers before the attack.

nice photo of daschle - my south dakota friends'd love that

MrsSpringsteen said:
I have reverence and respect for my flag because of the history and the ideals that it represents for me, and therefore I believe it should be respected. That's all :)

VERY well said :up:

i've always been all about the flag. we have a flag from my grandpa with 48 stars on it and another with all 50 that we fly on 4th of july.

sharky said:
From the US Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8 (g):

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

In other words, yes it is wrong to mark up a flag, even if it is with the president's signature. I think it may be different from wearing something like a flag in your jacket. the actual defacement of the flag is illegal.

I don't mean to shed a dim light on Bono here, but:

From the US Code, Tile 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8 (d):
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery"

I'm sorry, but aren't we getting a little too worked up here? I know it's wrong to deface the flag (especially for the Pres.), but, even assuming the photo is real, shouldn't we worry about other mistakes of our political leaders rather than this?

JeffD

I look cool, I am cool. - Larry

Last edited:
TheFly7 said:
From the US Code, Tile 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8 (d):
"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery"

actually,
i think this is more a "don't make stuff FROM the flag", not "don't use the pattern of the flag"

otherwise old navy flag tees and whatever would be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom