May God be With You Saddam (Part II)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have to say that I am pretty offended that Lemonite's thread was closed.

80% of the threads in this section called "War" are peace movement related and the one thread that is semi-religious, and pro-forces gets closed.

Shame.

I think Lemonite was stating his opinion (which I share and should be allowed to) and when I was ready to reply, I scrolled down to find the thread closed.

This is an open forum people. For those of us praying for our troops to do their job, and come home safely, that thread was the appropriate one to respond to.

For those of us (even we Americans) who believe that Tony Blair very well may be the leader of the free world - that was the thread to reply to.

Now I am sure this thread will be closed as well, so I will just put this out there:

I was unsure about this upcoming military copnflict in the first place, but after the first night here is where I stand:

Iraq has just proven in the first 12 hours of conflict they have been violating UN resolutions by firing Scuds at Kuwait. These missiles could have been filled with chemical or biological weapons, and there mere existence is a violation.

Saddam is a very bad man, who needs to be killed swiftly.

For the past 6 months the coalition countries have threatened war agains Iraq. Iraq has simply done nothing but lie and hide evidence.

If you were the leader of a country and expected the major powers in the world to wage a war against you, wouldn't you do EVERYTHING in your power to stop the war and save your people???

He has not done this, and he is no diplomat. He is a tyrant who needs to be removed.

I will quote Lemonite here as I think his words were not only appropriate, but well said, and unfairly censored:

May god have sympathy on your soul and may you receive what you have earned thoughout this life.

WAITING FOR THIS TO BE CLOSED...

:censored:

ouizy, I think the main reason his threads were closed is because the original thread was closed and he continued to start more or less the same type of thread THREE times. He knows you dont start spin off threads off closed threads.

I'll leave this one for now. :eyebrow:

Very well put Ouizy, I don't agree with everything you said, but that's not the point. I think it's a shame that sometimes people cannot express a viewpoint on a subject without being attacked or be worried about getting a wrist slap. It kinda dismays me to see threads with good potential for discussion ruined *cough*Shame on America*cough* because people can get so heated around here.

I agree with what you said, Ouizy :up: I hope this leads to some open dialogue between the two sides without the other one being afraid of being scorned. Things do get tough around here.

bravo ouizy. :up:

i definitely understand the spin-off angle and why the mod closed it. but lemonite's last closed thread was the one of the first ones of his that i actually think should have stayed open. i agreed with much of what he said, and he wasn't attacking anyone.

Yes. Lemonite is a target. He may no longer freely post anything remotely like the first thread.

Doesn't seem right.

Mark

It is very right.

When you've earned a reputation like Lemonite's, people (including mods) find it extremely difficult to show him any respect. You need to give respect to gain respect.

He's lucky to even still be able to post here, honestly.

Why dont we try to get back to the topic at hand to avoid another thread being closed, shall we :)

I haven't been around much this week, but let me throw my 2 cents in anyway.

Moderating is an inexact science. Sometimes threads are closed because they've clearly gone out of control. Sometimes threads are closed because they have the potential to cause a lot of trouble (like if similar threads have been really problematic in the past). Free Your Mind is a difficult forum to moderate precisely because of the highly controversial subject material. Oftentimes, mods and administrators get together in chat, IM, or the mod forum to get diverse opinions before closing or editing a thread. There are no "rogue mods" who go around closing and editing just because something pisses them off. We are all checks on each other.

For the last time: posters' political views are NOT why threads are edited or closed. If this really were some anti-conservative movement, then U2Bama and 80sU2isBest and other conservative posters would be targeted--and they have not been. Lemonite's threads might be subject to extra scrutiny because he has been insulting to other posters and moderators in the past.

I understand that people might feel that unfair measures have been taken, but keep in mind that you do not always know what goes on behind the scenes. Moderators are posters too who care about Interference as much as you do, and are giving of their FREE time to make sure this place is run as well and as respectfully for all as possible.

Like Sicy said, this will stay open for now.

Sicy, Pax, I understand you.

However, one of the problems I find, and I attribute this to me being an ignoramus, is that I do not spend a ton of time looking in all the forums here. I usually jump in one look for a subject I find interesting and want to reply to and then jump out.

By doing this (and I do not think there is much wrong with that) there is no way of knowing the history with what is happening in every forum (i.e. the Lemonite spin off issue.)

I looked in "War" and saw:

-Disarmamnet was working
-Anti-war supporters
-Individual rights during wartime
-Is this whats to come for America
-Shame on America
-Is there anyone who thinks this war should not have been fought?

etc.

I cannot - and will not post in these threads because I think they are simply wrong and will not start trouble by posting my views there - I respect the peace side, I simply want to write in a thread that deals with my views.

That happend to be Lemonite's thread, which I still think was well written through a deeply sarcastic (not immature, but sarcastic) tone.

Now I am not saying that all pro-war threads have been closed, and I admit to not knowing the history behind Lemonite's actions.

I just wanted to point out that a spin-off thread to one, may be a unique thread to another. A place to share like-minded opinions.

In any event this has gone too far, and for all I care you can close this thread, I just hope it may stay for a place to post pro-US, pro-end-of-conflict views as most simply put, we are knee deep in shit now and there has to be an end to it whether we like it or not.

I think it is truly game day and I hope every US troop finds his/her way safely into battle and moreover, safely back home to their families.

We are there for a reason, and I think that reason needs to be completed.

I think that's one of the reasons people think mods are these evil beings that just go around closing threads whenever they feel like it. Not everyone reads every single thread and knows the history of every poster here. But I understand what you're saying ouizy. :wave:

:wave:

I do not think mods are evil, I think I am evil, I just could not find a place in WAR to post about WAR.

that said, I think the Bush administration took a gamble last night and hopefully it paid off.

Otherwise, tonight will be one of watching and waiting.

I truly do not think we want war, we just want to cut off the head of the evil administration, once that is done - I think an uprising will take place, and not much fighting will be necessary...

Yes, please stop closing these threads. people are actually writing about important stuff here. Not what Bono ate for breakfast. Please keep these up.

Ouizy--thanks for stating your views. We are trying to keep things balanced. But I suspect that the majority of posters here are anti-war, and so it's only natural that there will be more anti-war threads.

By all means, though, keep posting and reading. We don't want anyone to feel unwelcome or ignored. Thanks again for sharing your concerns. It's people like you who will help keep this place honest. :)

ouizy the way you wrote this and the way lemonite wrote his piece are two totally different entities. you display class while he does his best to provoke attack.

Back
Top Bottom