Matt Laurer (!!!) pounds Bush on torture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
wow. way to go Matt. thank you for spelling it out for him, and listen to Bush's heavily scripted responses -- he has 4 or 5 sentences that have been given to him (probably by his advisors), and he keeps repeating them over and over, with decreasing logic, whenever Matt asks him a question, and gets agitated and defensive when seriously challenged. speaks volumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4vLBvU1bA

:huh:

The second Bush pointed a finger in Matt's direction, Matt should have batted it away.
There's no reason to get so defensive towards a reporter that was probably invited to your camp to "set the story straight." It's not Matt's fault Bush can't think on his feet.

Bush reminds me of Michael Corleone in the Godfather talking to his wife, Kay.

"Don't ask me about my business, Kay"

PlaTheGreat said:
:huh:

The second Bush pointed a finger in Matt's direction, Matt should have batted it away.
There's no reason to get so defensive towards a reporter that was probably invited to your camp to "set the story straight." It's not Matt's fault Bush can't think on his feet.

That video doesn't show the video from the beginning. How do we know who started the "finger pointing"? Yes, I did see Bush point his finger at Lauer, but I saw Lauer point his pen at and maybe even touch Bush.

80sU2isBest said:

That video doesn't show the video from the beginning. How do we know who started the "finger pointing"? Yes, I did see Bush point his finger at Lauer, but I saw Lauer point his pen at and maybe even touch Bush.

Who cares who started it? The whole point is to be the bigger person and stop doing it. You'd think that a President, a man of "honor" would put an end to it. Aside from finger pointing, Bush's entire attitude sucks throughout the video. He's acting like my dad when I confront him about something: defensive, overreacting and threatening.

PlaTheGreat said:

Who cares who started it? The whole point is to be the bigger person and stop doing it. You'd think that a President, a man of "honor" would put an end to it.

But what you said was:

"The second Bush pointed a finger in Matt's direction, Matt should have batted it away."

And what I am saying is that once a conversation gets tense and starts going in that direction, it's hard to stop. Both parties get agitated.

Does anyone actually believe Bush in this interview? Honestly? If this was your best friend and he/she spoke in this manner, with this body language, and being this defensive would you believe him or her?

Damn, I saw this great picture online yesterday of Bush and Lauer during that interview-Bush is holding up the recent People Magazine with the photo of Matt in a swimsuit on the beach. It's such a deliciously goofy picture and now I can't find it :mad: I looked on Wonkette, no luck

Matt does look hot :wink:

Bush should have had Cruise at the WH to lay the smackdown again on Matt

i'm just so impressed with Matt -- he's a real journalist.

who knew?

and, just for you Mrs. S:

lauer_splashnews.jpg

Irvine511 said:
wow. way to go Matt. thank you for spelling it out for him, and listen to Bush's heavily scripted responses -- he has 4 or 5 sentences that have been given to him (probably by his advisors), and he keeps repeating them over and over, with decreasing logic, whenever Matt asks him a question, and gets agitated and defensive when seriously challenged. speaks volumes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4vLBvU1bA

speaks volumes is right!

:mad: :huh: :der:

For the most part, the media networks are not interested in giving us the truth, but rather the truth as they perceive it.

As I said before, we do not have the whole interview here. Who knows what went on before the part we see, or even what Matt is doing with his pen while the camera is on his face? We know that he was pointing his pen at Bush, and at one time, it looks like he even touched him with it. He could have been making that motion the entire time he was talking to him.

In summary: The cameras never lie, but the edits often do. Even what we do see could have been skewed in any way the producers wanted it.

Even with what we do see, I do not see as Lauer "pounding him" and Bush "reading a script". Lauer's statement "Amnesty International says it's illegal" is ridiculous. Amnesty International does not set US policy, and never has.

80sU2isBest said:

Even with what we do see, I do not see as Lauer "pounding him" and Bush "reading a script". Lauer's statement "Amnesty International says it's illegal" is ridiculous. Amnesty International does not set US policy, and never has.

Do we say screw international law?

80s,

for pete's sake

I have not watched the interview

but, do you really beleive the President is against torture, for the geneva convention, these latest talking points he has been pushing?

it is so obvious that he is trying to turn the tide
on his low poll ratings
and help the Nov elections

many in the GOP are walking away from him
do you still have as much faith in his as you did, say
four years ago?

80sU2isBest said:

to be fair, it's not that Amnesty has declared it illegal, but that Amnesty -- who certainly does know the Geneva Convention, and knows that the US has ratified this -- contends that it is a violation of international law.

US policy has always been mediated by international law, even when some wish otherwise.

[
deep said:

many in the GOP are walking away from him
do you still have as much faith in his as you did, say
four years ago?

Honestly? No, but it's not because of the war on terror.

He should have just said, "And I look much better in a swimsuit Mr. President, interview over"

If people can go on and on about Katie Couric's looks, I ain't gonna feel guilty about that. Glib, and fab. Who knew what was lurking under that suit..:wink:

80sU2isBest said:

And neither did I say that we chuck international law.

but this is what Bush and Co. have been doing -- they've allowed the McCain amendment which makes explicit what is and what isn't acceptable interrogation for members of the US Armed Forces, yet they've made the CIA exempt from these standards.

Back
Top Bottom