Marriage Equality Defended in Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
And now straight people in Massachusetts are divorcring left and right because gay people can get married. :sad:

you're right. soon, Massachusetts will lose it's ranking as the state with the lowest divorce rate. :sad:

look out Arkansas!

only Jesus can save you now.

Last edited:
This is family values and the hetero lifestyle:

bspears.jpg

and this is the homo lifestyle:

gaywedding2.jpg

(they've been together 7 years)

but don't you see?

those lesbians degraded marriage and family values so much that K-Fed and Brit *had* to get divorced.

they looked at the lesbians and say, "gosh, i disagree with the gay lifestyle so much, and now they can get MARRIED too! i guess our marriage doesn't mean as much as it used to. i'm going to start drinking heavily and shave my head and you, K-Fed, go impregnant another score of women."

anitram said:

It passed in the NY House, and still has to pass in the NY Senate, but definitely a step in the right direction. :up:

Spitzer in 2012/16.

he is a force. and his poll numbers have IMPROVED since his principled stance on the fact that gays and lesbians are human beings as well.

maycocksean said:

Did you read the article posted on page 2 about the woman who was denied being able to be at her partner's bedside as she DIED? If not, could you read it. If you have read it could you please tell me how as a Christian you can not see the heart-breaking injustice of what happened to them?

I asked that earlier-no response. An inconvenient question perhaps, or perhaps just part of a general FYM ignoring-it's tough to tell.

2861U2 said:
I totally disagree with the gay lifestyle. I dont want them getting married and I dont want them changing the meaning of marriage.

I totally disagree with the fundamentalist lifestyle and I don't want them getting married and procreating either, and I don't want them defining marriage.

So let's pass some laws. :hyper:

2861U2 said:
I dont want them changing the meaning of marriage.

Oh, and one more response to this bullshit. The definition of marriage used to include the woman as property of the man. So marriage has already changed. Sorry. Or do you want to go back to that too? I never can tell how far back you people want to go. :scratch:

martha said:

I totally disagree with the fundamentalist lifestyle and I don't want them getting married and procreating either, and I don't want them defining marriage.

:shifty: Um uh, well um, ye um STATUS QUO STATUS QUO!!!

Whoo, I almost thought you had me there and I wouldn't be able to retort.

2861U2 said:

Hate Speech?

The Supreme Court has been asked to reverse rulings that found the terms "marriage," "natural family," and "union of a man and woman" can be punished as hate speech in government workplaces.

The Washington Times reports the phrases were in a flyer distributed by city employees in Oakland, California. The flyers were in response to a homosexual group that was allowed to post promotional material on the city's e-mail system.

But a lesbian co-worker complained she felt "targeted" and "excluded" by the flyers — which the city ordered removed. The authors of the flyer sued, claiming discrimination, and lost.

The group representing the women who wrote the flyers says the rulings have silenced hundreds who simply wish to talk about marriage and family values.

So basically, gays can hand out flyers promoting their lifestyle and excluding straight individuals and thats alright, but when straight employees promote traditional marriage and values and exclude gays, that crosses a line.

People are far too anxious to cry discrimination today.
You are talking about a government office, the gays have as much right to not be discriminated against there as any other citizen. If it was a privately owned workplace then you would have a point but for deliberately exclusive propaganda to be put up through a government office is wrong, wrong, wrong.

You know what? You're right. I totally disagree with the gay lifestyle. I dont want them getting married and I dont want them changing the meaning of marriage.
Good for you embracing a narrow minded point of view, but it's pretty dodgy that you feel that your own prejudices take precedence over other individuals sexual liberties. You want to define marraige then keep a religious definition within a church that doesn't allow gays to do it but don't go and get the government to mandate that a contract for a long term relationship is only legitimate for heterosexuals.

Just a crazy far left opinion that the state has no place obstructing people from legitimising their relationships.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Just a crazy far left opinion that the state has no place obstructing people from legitimising their relationships.

some relationships are more legitimate than others.

relationships with PENISES and VAGINAS!

I don't care who marries who. I just wanna know if gay marriage being preserved in MA will help the Red Sox win the World Series again. Maybe some people think it will doom them for all eternity.

A_Wanderer said:

Good for you embracing a narrow minded point of view,

Narrow minded? I have an opinion, and because it disagrees with your opinion, I'm narrow minded?

I dont think opposing marriage being anything other than a man and a woman is narrow minded or intolerant. I adhere to a strict set of principles which I follow, but I consider myself open minded on many things.

can you back up your belief? why -- precisely why -- must marriage be only one thing.

why are you unconcerned with homosexual relationships to the point where you'd do them harm in order to protect your belief?

2861U2 said:
Narrow minded? I have an opinion, and because it disagrees with your opinion, I'm narrow minded?
No. You're narrow-minded because you want to base laws on your discriminatory opinion.

2861U2 said:
I dont think opposing marriage being anything other than a man and a woman is narrow minded or intolerant.
Glad you think so. The folks who thought those colored kids should stay in their own schools didn't think they were narrow-minded or intolerant either.

Originally posted by 2861U2 I adhere to a strict set of principles which I follow, but I consider myself open minded on many things.
Like what??

So not to drop names here :wink: but I think most of us here will appreciate this lil story.

I was at my sister's wedding last wedding ( :heart: ) in Nantucket and Gov. Duval Patrick was there. Mother of the Groom and he, it seems, go way back to when they were both on some school board together or something. He was asked about this development in MA and said he was proud of his state, and thought of marraige equality as a "civil rights issue". :yes: :up:

Irvine511 said:
can you back up your belief? why -- precisely why -- must marriage be only one thing.

why are you unconcerned with homosexual relationships to the point where you'd do them harm in order to protect your belief?

My belief comes from (get ready) the Bible, folks. The Bible says marriage is a man and a woman, a husband and a wife. Read Genesis 2, 1 Corinthians 7, Ephesians 5...

And my position on homosexuals? Yes, also from the Bible. The Bible condemns such relations and condemns sexual immorality (which includes many things). The body is a temple, a gift from God, meant only for creating life, something which homosexuals cannot do.

2861U2 said:

My belief comes from (get ready) the Bible, folks. The Bible says marriage is a man and a woman, a husband and a wife. Read Genesis 2, 1 Corinthians 7, Ephesians 5...

And my position on homosexuals? Yes, also from the Bible. The Bible condemns such relations and condemns sexual immorality (which includes many things). The body is a temple, a gift from God, meant only for creating life, something which homosexuals cannot do.

A shocker!!!! :ohmy:

But this translates into your right to discriminate in civil law exactly how?

2861U2 said:

I dont think opposing marriage being anything other than a man and a woman is narrow minded or intolerant. I adhere to a strict set of principles which I follow, but I consider myself open minded on many things.
Having both gay and straight marriage is twice as broad as just straight marriage. Relative to me you are narrow minded.

2861U2 said:

as you know, the Bible says a lot of things. does this give you the right to infringe upon the rights of others?

well, as for Biblical "condemnations" of homsexuality, there's another poster in here who's far, far more schooled than i in these matters, so i'll wait for him.

but let's take the part about the body being a temple. i assume you've never masturbated. i assume you'll never engage in oral sex. or use birth control. because each and every time you have sex, it should be for the creation of children.

you know what? i can accept that, from a Biblical perspective. but what follows, logically, is that homosexuality is no worse than masturbation, oral sex, or protect sex, or every time a woman swallows a birth control pill.

but let's get away from you, and let's talk about other people. do you know any gay people? do you know that they're pretty much exactly the same as you, and that their relationships are pretty much exactly the same as yours? and do you know what your attitudes do to them? do you know what the denial of civil rights does to other people?

i'd encourage you to try to walk in someone else's shoes. principles are fine and dandy, but to see if they truly hold up, to see if they are principles worth holding, try and see an issue from someone else's perspective.

how would you feel if you were denied access to your wife as she was dying? how would she feel if she could not see you on her deathbed? how would you feel if your medical/dental benefits were suddenly revoked?

maybe you should ask Mildred Jeter and Richard Loving. they know all about being in a relationship that was condemned from a Biblical and social standpoint.

Mildred is black, and Richard is white. and the judge in Loving vs. Virginia -- from 1967, barely 40 years ago -- said, thusly:

[q]Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.[/q]

how is that *any* different from what you're talking about?

2861U2 said:

No, it's because you want YOUR religious views to permeate the social fabric to the point where our laws are influenced by YOUR religious views.

2861U2 said:

Good thing God hates fags, but what with the Bible not being the law of the land thats a weak justification for having state discrimination in awarding marraige contracts.

Is oral sex a sin? Or does the Clinton defence apply in the eyes God?

2861U2 said:

That's fine and dandy for you. And I certainly don't think you should get married to someone of the same gender if you feel this way. However, there are people who don't believe in your god, or your interpretation of god and the bible who are full citizens of this country and as such should have the same protections under the laws of this secular nation as you do. How hard is that to understand? You don't have to like it or agree with it (I certainly don't agree with many religious types but I don't try to legislate bans on them getting married -- although in some cases it would be a good thing....), but you not liking or agreeing with it is no reason to ban it.

Another thing -- is your parents' marriage so weak that other people's marriages destabilise it? If it is, then your parents shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

The body is a temple, a gift from God, meant only for creating life, something which homosexuals cannot do.

So then would you like a constitutional amendment that denies marriage to all people who are unable to have children due to medical reasons? Even if that turns out to be you one day?

maycocksean said:

Did you read the article posted on page 2 about the woman who was denied being able to be at her partner's bedside as she DIED? If not, could you read it. If you have read it could you please tell me how as a Christian you can not see the heart-breaking injustice of what happened to them?

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. - Gandhi

Back
Top Bottom