MANDATORY health insurance, part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is just flat out wrong.

A family member of mine (mother of a cousin by marriage) recently discovered she had cancer upon returning from a vacation and was immediately admitted to the hospital. After all the tests had been administered to determine exactly what she had, it was found that the cancer was at an advanced stage and immediately began treatment. It's too early to tell, but it seems like she'll be okay.

And last year I attended a friend's BBQ where I started talking sports with someone. He told me he no longer plays any competitive sports because he had surgery. Then he told me the story: In February of last year he started getting headaches. Then he collapsed a short time later and was rushed to the hospital.

Tests determined that he had a brain tumour. Within days he was operated on and the tumour removed. He now has regular checkups, and he can't do anything that involves physical contact that might result in a head injury. But he said he's never felt better in his life and is functioning like he did before.

In both cases they paid a grand total of $0. And they will always pay that amount and not have to worry about being dropped because of pre-existing conditions.

I cannot stress this enough: are there issues with our health care? There most certainly are, but I dare anyone to find a country that has a perfect system. There are none.

BUT with that said, I would much rather have our system, warts and all, than the one south of the border.

I have some friends at Princess Margaret. Great Hospital . I have spent time there. There are still alot of issue. Again, why is everyone paying for CT-scans at private facilities? Why do they come over the border for treatment Mayo, many people from Canada go . They cater to them.

no, nothing is perfect. but I find it strange that many Canadien officials come to the States for heart and Cancer treatment... why ? Didn't you guys have a big time Politician come to the states for cancer, or heart treatment? I read that somewhere not long ago, and the paper was blasting him.

He said, the treatment he needed he couldnt get there. I believe he came to miami didnt he?

The moral of the story is the Government cannot do it for us in the states. No way.

Then, you must understand the cultural difference from a citizenship who doesn't want to wait, wants it now , and there is no way they will put up with the Chaos it will be.

Number one thing I hear, and have seen here was dealing with insurance companies. the Government is better at running an insurance company than the insurance company? Medicare is hard enough, we can't even imagine his fiasco of "free" ( it is not free)

How many uninsured people will die from now to 2014, because the Medical care bill, hasn't started yet, and they are not even close to having the "electronic records" which is essential ? How many ?

Be $ 5,000 toilet seats everwhere. This will not pass the courts any way .

The moral of the story is the Government cannot do it for us in the states. No way.

Then, you must understand the cultural difference from a citizenship who doesn't want to wait, wants it now , and there is no way they will put up with the Chaos it will be.

Number one thing I hear, and have seen here was dealing with insurance companies. the Government is better at running an insurance company than the insurance company? Medicare is hard enough, we can't even imagine his fiasco of "free" ( it is not free)

How many uninsured people will die from now to 2014, because the Medical care bill, hasn't started yet, and they are not even close to having the "electronic records" which is essential ? How many ?

Be $ 5,000 toilet seats everwhere. This will not pass the courts any way .

For someone who can't ever really answer questions asked of him, I find it ironic that you can sum of the moral of the story. Especially in such a nonsensical manner.

I know 10 people in my hospital ( we have a staff of over 4,000) who took the shot. When we refused, they threatend us with suspension. we said "good" we will go to the beach. hey backed off quickly
This is frightening.

it passed on a bi-partisan vote, too :up:

you do realize that is a ten year projection.

I guess when the 'mark up' a bill they are required to do this.

why not say it cost 120 billion a year?

did you complain about the cost of Bush's Irag mis-adventure?

COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War

It's been 18 months and Obama has embraced and used the same methods as bush. Why doesn't he end it then?

My opinion, but your mis- directing the anger. Obama is comander in Chief. he could stop it tomorrow. Maybe once he got it, he saw the whole story.

Obma has been President for 18 month. He could end it at any point, but he knows he cant

1.5 trillion could subsidize health insurance for a lot of people . ever though of why he doesn't.? Unions... they need the public options as the money paid in for HC for members, is "gone " Union dues went some where.

I love the film of the NEA President saying, " The education union isn't about the kids, it is about money and power " beautiful. It's in his own words and on film

This is frightening.

Remember at the beginning that it was a Medical emergency. A National emergency. Total BS

They just burned I think it was 90 million doses. The Hospital were required to reprt ANY seasonal flu as possible H1N1 , even if the test was no. Then the combined the numbers of seasonal and H1N1, hospitializations and deaths. said so right on the bottom of their site.

We know flu season, we know what is coming etc, and it took abut 2 days to find this was totally bogus, and how "organzied it was to get people to take ths shots.

we have seen it before. We never take the shots. By the time anything gets out, we have been exposed to it months ahead.

They were going to suspend everyone who wouldn't take them. CDC is a very political organization.

Never be the first one to take these shots. The flu shots of a few years back killed more people, or bad side effects than H1N1 ever could .

we have immunities to most of these things. Mexico, not so much... if that was even H1NI..

again, look who got the contracts for the vaccine. Follow the money. Then you will get some idea why they want medical and economic control of healthcare. No this isn't theroy. search it. You will only believe it if you see it yourself.

Respectfully, I am trying to tell you this is not what they say it is. am asking for your own knowledge to look this stuff up. It will freak you out, and like H1N1, it is right there on the appropriate agencies sites. Plain view.

To us, it was like it was a drill. We do them all the time,, and the H1N1 was just like the others.

But all those kids get the Government medical care, and that guy who got beat up will be ok because he can get Government medical care.

At least that's what you said earlier. So which is it? Can Government do it for us, or not?

They can it for kids, they do it for people like the Boston guy, and they can do something so that there is no more pre-existing conditions, etc, but they CANT take over and run the system I cannot stress this enough. What they are doing is Nationalizing 1/7th of the national economy. They are trying to give themselves power over all the banks. Wall street, they will curse them and such, but will make regulations with no teeth. Democrats get their money from wall street, not republicans.

1.7 trillion dollars, going 10 years, and they will save money? No.

PS Unions have spent the dues that is supposed to pay for members medical care. the money is not there. They are using it for "other purposes".. Politcal power? Yup

Did you see that the LA Conty employee have to pay a "fee" of 130 a motnh even if they are not in the Unions? Also, some union out there, is using dies to hire busses to go to AZ or a banks guys house to protest.

They are spending the mebers money that is supposed to be invested to pay for future medical car and pension. Not politics. The suing members won the case.

This is about power and control. Dont believe me if you want, but I have seen SEIU nurses meetings.. they HAVE to be there, or just pay the same fee. Unions dont run hospitals.

You could give everyone a tax credit, to offset the cost of insurance to people in need and still have money left over. This is only going to force everyone into the "public option. You cannot keep your own if you are happy with it. That is a false promise.

The single best thing they could do, is allow me, from FL , to buy insurance in ____ state, or better yet, the same pool congress gets. They have at last count some 450 different plans at all price levels. Competition lowers prices.

Last 2 paragraphs are Hillary's plan.(in basic) It would work, work very well. The unemployed or disbled etc, could use medicaid or , elderl, medicare. Sme stabliztions has to be done to Medicare.

Please, this int even political. This is about something I care about deeply. It's not my job, I care about my patients . This is not what they say it is. Congress, most of them, have no idea what is in the bill. It took us 20 lawyers just to understand it. You think Nancy does? Congressman don't write these bills ( most of them) staff does by direction... Chief of Staff?

This, combined with your previous "the only reason for emergency back surgery is loss of bowel control" is causing my BS alarm to go into Defcon 5 mode. Testicular cancer definitely has a high rate of curability, but it is not 100%.

Exactly what kind of medically related profession are you in?

R.T.F.P

go back to Nixon days when they started keeping cancer statistic's. from aprox 100 % death to 100 % cure. Same thing moved from the top of one list to the other. We can debate this all day, but it wold be a waste of time. I KNOW .

Want to trade jobs for a day?

This, combined with your previous "the only reason for emergency back surgery is loss of bowel control" is causing my BS alarm to go into Defcon 5 mode. Testicular cancer definitely has a high rate of curability, but it is not 100%.

Exactly what kind of medically related profession are you in?

R.T.F.P.

I said loss of bladder control, in relation to paralysis spine/back problems. I did not say the only . It is a medical emergency

A gunshot in the spine would be an emergency reason for backsurgery ( IE : Spine) Car accident, slips and falls, sports injury , anything involving the spine COULD also be an emergency . If someone puched someone in the face, you know how easy it is to break C-7? That could easily be an emergency. People have rear end car accidents, and walk around for weeks with fractured c-7 and not know it. A local ER will say" muscle strain" You could drop in a second with a fractured c-7.

As bad or Worse problem with leg paraysis and lost of bowel control due to a spinal cord injury. Again, that is a medical emergency

R.T.F.P Decon 5 alright

That is just flat out wrong.

A family member of mine (mother of a cousin by marriage) recently discovered she had cancer upon returning from a vacation and was immediately admitted to the hospital. After all the tests had been administered to determine exactly what she had, it was found that the cancer was at an advanced stage and immediately began treatment. It's too early to tell, but it seems like she'll be okay.

And last year I attended a friend's BBQ where I started talking sports with someone. He told me he no longer plays any competitive sports because he had surgery. Then he told me the story: In February of last year he started getting headaches. Then he collapsed a short time later and was rushed to the hospital.

Tests determined that he had a brain tumour. Within days he was operated on and the tumour removed. He now has regular checkups, and he can't do anything that involves physical contact that might result in a head injury. But he said he's never felt better in his life and is functioning like he did before.

In both cases they paid a grand total of $0. And they will always pay that amount and not have to worry about being dropped because of pre-existing conditions.

I cannot stress this enough: are there issues with our health care? There most certainly are, but I dare anyone to find a country that has a perfect system. There are none.

BUT with that said, I would much rather have our system, warts and all, than the one south of the border.

"I cannot stress this enough: are there issues with our health care? There most certainly are, but I dare anyone to find a country that has a perfect system. There are none. "

Am I not saying the same thing? So we should trade what is for the most part a great system, warts and all, to another that will have more warts, and at a HUGE cost, and allow the Government to run it? Why? To me, that is trashing your car because you have a flat tire.

Is it that you guys pay zero? You pay for it, you pay for it in taxes. It is not free. We don't have a healthcare crisis, we have an insurance crisis. EASILY fixed . Ask Hillary.

Remember at the beginning that it was a Medical emergency. A National emergency. Total BS

They just burned I think it was 90 million doses. The Hospital were required to reprt ANY seasonal flu as possible H1N1 , even if the test was no. Then the combined the numbers of seasonal and H1N1, hospitializations and deaths. said so right on the bottom of their site.

We know flu season, we know what is coming etc, and it took abut 2 days to find this was totally bogus, and how "organzied it was to get people to take ths shots.

we have seen it before. We never take the shots. By the time anything gets out, we have been exposed to it months ahead.

They were going to suspend everyone who wouldn't take them. CDC is a very political organization.

Never be the first one to take these shots. The flu shots of a few years back killed more people, or bad side effects than H1N1 ever could .

we have immunities to most of these things. Mexico, not so much... if that was even H1NI..

again, look who got the contracts for the vaccine. Follow the money. Then you will get some idea why they want medical and economic control of healthcare. No this isn't theroy. search it. You will only believe it if you see it yourself.

Respectfully, I am trying to tell you this is not what they say it is. am asking for your own knowledge to look this stuff up. It will freak you out, and like H1N1, it is right there on the appropriate agencies sites. Plain view.

To us, it was like it was a drill. We do them all the time,, and the H1N1 was just like the others.
Obviously the epidemiologists are conspiring with the Democrats to control all of our lives with evidence-based medicine.

You come across as a complete crank, and I find it worrying that a bloc of hospital workers could avoid vaccination in that setting.

R.T.F.P

go back to Nixon days when they started keeping cancer statistic's. from aprox 100 % death to 100 % cure. Same thing moved from the top of one list to the other. We can debate this all day, but it wold be a waste of time. I KNOW .

Want to trade jobs for a day?

R.T.F.P.

I said loss of bladder control, in relation to paralysis spine/back problems. I did not say the only . It is a medical emergency

A gunshot in the spine would be an emergency reason for backsurgery ( IE : Spine) Car accident, slips and falls, sports injury , anything involving the spine COULD also be an emergency . If someone puched someone in the face, you know how easy it is to break C-7? That could easily be an emergency. People have rear end car accidents, and walk around for weeks with fractured c-7 and not know it. A local ER will say" muscle strain" You could drop in a second with a fractured c-7.

As bad or Worse problem with leg paraysis and lost of bowel control due to a spinal cord injury. Again, that is a medical emergency

R.T.F.P Decon 5 alright
sorry, this is not going to slide. do not tell someone THREE TIMES to "r.t.f.p." the subject of healthcare can be discussed civilly without resorting to rudeness.

Last edited:
What they are doing is Nationalizing 1/7th of the national economy. They are trying to give themselves power over all the banks. Wall street, they will curse them and such, but will make regulations with no teeth. Democrats get their money from wall street, not republicans.

This is just :coocoo:

I woke up this morning and saw that you posted close to 12 or so posts last night, every single one of them contained lies. You never post links or anything to back up your statistics, why? because they don't exist. You never answer the questions asked of you. And when you get called out you go on some conspiracty theory tangent.

You are not fooling one person in here. Not one single fucking person buys anything you say in here :shrug: Sorry...

Now I know you're making this shit up.

Nop . He can call them evil all he wants, but look at his donation list. Who's who of wallstreet. The financial reform says they are going after wallstreet, but the commision ( Obama" we don't need any commission to tell us what reforms we need... said it in Racine the other day , look up the film) yet, the want to pass regulations to fix what happened, and the commission isnt even a 1/4 of the way done et... after almost 2 years . How do you have a commission to say whats wrong, yet write the fixes, that you don't even know yet?

Thats like ruling on a plane crash, when you havent finished investigating
Watch the speech in Racine the other day . He says those exact words.

Goldman Sach JP Morgan and Jim Dimon ( who is ETREMELY powerfull) is the one to call to testify on why they forced Lehaman brothers with a margin call to close ( which is what triggered the collapse). Why won't he call him? He can't. Jim is bigger than Obama . Obama needs him.

The street already has rules, but what good are the rules if nobody enforces them? One of the biggest causes was banks trading in Derivatives, and yet, under the new reform, congress doesn't want prevent them fromparticpating. It is another reason why banks are not loaning. Why should they? They get almost 0% money, and just trade for themselves.

Your oopinion, but everything is out there to read... even on the Huffington post. Not where I get my information, but it is on there. There will is no teeth in the "rules" toward wall street in the financial reform bill. None.

Check the donation list . see who gave" and he he wants to give again. I think it is called Populist Rhetoric . I am sure it is.

One more thing. You know the Treasury Secretary Timmy G? His father was in various groups with Obama in Chicago. They go a long way back. Very close relationship.

Just because you see something you diagree with, doesnt mean it is made up. Why waste my time when you can easily look all of it up.

Rus Feingold Card carrying progressive Sen. Russ Feingold: Standing Up to the Unholy Alliance Between Washington and Wall Street

Wall Street Reform Backers Seek Feingold's Support | TPMDC

Dead On Arrival: Financial Reform Fails ? The Baseline Scenario

Robert Reich: Slouching Towards a Double-Dip or a Lousy Recovery at Best

These are all Progressives btw. They made it up too I am sure.

None of this is what you think it is. Try opening the box . I mean that respectfully.

I haven't heard one single legitimate complaint about this guy from Republicans.

He's a strong patient rights advocate, is highly educated and very qualified; does that go against the Republican platform these days.

Does he need to be some quack who thinks PMS can be handled by prayer and birth control is a sin?

I haven't heard one single legitimate complaint about this guy from Republicans.

He's a strong patient rights advocate, is highly educated and very qualified; does that go against the Republican platform these days.

Does he need to be some quack who thinks PMS can be handled by prayer and birth control is a sin?

I am not sure where you get I am republican . Lifelong Democrat. But if you look at what the democratic party was 30 years ago, and asked yourself some questions ( meaning oneself) most Democrats would be libertarian.

I said " Read about him." Try that if you like then we can discuss. I know who he is very well. I know what he has done, and I have seen much about him in Journals. He likes to use Morophine for pain, which is at odds with the 8 pain Drs association members who were at the WH last week. I agree with him on that subject, but there are better pain meds than morophine.

This would be a very controversial pick to many Drs . He has said some bizzare things over the years.

"He's a strong patient rights advocate" Sure he is. depends how old you are, and what is wrong with you . Birth control. I am the one who said condoms are cheeper than free homes to teenage single mothers you know. I didn't essentially say that, I flat out said it.

Look into him is all I said. If Interested.

I hate to drag this up again, but since you did...

Oh I read the fucking post, thank you very much. Since you seem to have forgotten what you actually said, here is a direct quote from your post on back surgery:

There is no such thing as " Emergency Back Surgery" except in one instance, or technically 2.

The ONLY time someone has "Emergency" back surgery is when they have lost control of their bowls or bladder.

I see no qualifiers to that statement, do you? I see no mention of "in relation to paralysis/back pain," do you? You didn't even use "most of the time" or "often," you used "the ONLY time."

But since you have now admitted that there's more than one path to emergency back surgery, it would appear your original post was flat out incorrect. Would you agree?

Last edited:
Think Progress

Insurer revoked leukemia patient’s coverage because it claimed she underpaid her premium by a penny.

One of the worst abuses of the private health insurance industry is the practice of denying claims to pay for necessary care or revoking the coverage of policyholders for frivolous reasons. The Colorado Springs Gazette reports that a leukemia patient — a single mother of two teenage boys — had her coverage revoked after her penny-pinching insurance company, Discover Benefits, claimed that she had underpaid her premium:

La Rosa Carrington has more than enough to worry about. She’s a single mother with two teenage daughters, she’s fighting a type of leukemia that requires five days of chemo a month for four months, and she lost her job in May. So the last thing she needed was news that her health insurance benefits would be terminated because she hadn’t paid her premium in full. The shortfall? One penny. [...]

Under the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, those who meet the eligibility requirements pay just 35 percent of the full COBRA premium. Because Carrington had not yet received a bill showing what her payment would be with the discount, she whipped out a calculator, figured out that she owed $165.15 a month and sent a check for that amount to Discovery Benefits.

But Discovery Benefits determined she owed $165.16, and last week, she received a letter from the company telling her she was short on her premium and her coverage could not be continued. The letter, however, did not tell her how much she owed. She called Discovery Benefits and was aghast when she heard the amount. “I said, ‘Are you kidding?’ How am I going to pay you a penny’”?

After Carrington threatened to go the media, Discover Benefits reviewed their records and determined that she had, in fact, paid the correct dollar amount for her premiums, and decided to reinstate her coverage. June Harryman, a supervisory benefits adviser for the federal Employee Benefits Security Administration regional office in Kansas City, told the paper that the practice of companies revoking coverage after customers allegedly underpaid their premiums by a penny is not uncommon. “We’ve seen it before,” she said. “It’s not the first, and it won’t be the last.”

I hate to drag this up again, but since you did...

Oh I read the fucking post, thank you very much. Since you seem to have forgotten what you actually said, here is a direct quote from your post on back surgery:

I see no qualifiers to that statement, do you? I see no mention of "in relation to paralysis/back pain," do you? You didn't even use "most of the time" or "often," you used "the ONLY time."

Did you miss the part where I said, obviously car asscidents or other trauma such as Gunshots would be emergencies?

we were taliking about Bono. Of course a 9mm bullet to the spine would be a trauma and an emergency.

Did you see the post where I said " these kids running around with guns, shooting each other in the back , causing them to never walk again? Those are emergencies.

With an L4, L5 , S1 , which is what we were discussing, for quite a while , those condition with complication of paralysis, and loss of bowel and Bladder control, would be a medical emergency

so no

But since you have now admitted that there's more than one path to emergency back surgery, it would appear your original post was flat out incorrect. Would you agree?

Did you miss the part where I said, obviously car asscidents or other trauma such as Gunshots would be emergencies?

we were taliking about Bono. Of course a 9mm bullet to the spine would be a trauma and an emergency.

Did you see the post where I said " these kids running around with guns, shooting each other in the back , causing them to never walk again? Those are emergencies.

With an L4, L5 , S1 , which is what we were discussing, for quite a while , those condition with complication of paralysis, and loss of bowel and Bladder control, would be a medical emergency

so no I would not agree. Several times I said trauma such as gunshots( which I discussed ) and car accident.

I imagine , well I know, someone who sky dives, and the chute doesnt open, and they live, that would be an emegency, but even then, the back injury beyond stablizing it, would not be the first priority. Stopping the internal bleeding would be.

After a rear end car accident, where the person complains of neck pain, a high % of the time, the Dr will do an x-ray , and say " muscle strain " takes these pills. The person will walk around for weeks, and maybe then see someone who will do an MRI . They find in the results he has fractured c-5,c-6,c-7 or some combination . It needs to be looked but it isn't code blue. t -spine, without a severe trauma, is not the same as what happened with Bono .

Think Progress

Insurer revoked leukemia patient’s coverage because it claimed she underpaid her premium by a penny.

One of the worst abuses of the private health insurance industry is the practice of denying claims to pay for necessary care or revoking the coverage of policyholders for frivolous reasons. The Colorado Springs Gazette reports that a leukemia patient — a single mother of two teenage boys — had her coverage revoked after her penny-pinching insurance company, Discover Benefits, claimed that she had underpaid her premium:

La Rosa Carrington has more than enough to worry about. She’s a single mother with two teenage daughters, she’s fighting a type of leukemia that requires five days of chemo a month for four months, and she lost her job in May. So the last thing she needed was news that her health insurance benefits would be terminated because she hadn’t paid her premium in full. The shortfall? One penny. [...]

Under the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, those who meet the eligibility requirements pay just 35 percent of the full COBRA premium. Because Carrington had not yet received a bill showing what her payment would be with the discount, she whipped out a calculator, figured out that she owed $165.15 a month and sent a check for that amount to Discovery Benefits.

But Discovery Benefits determined she owed $165.16, and last week, she received a letter from the company telling her she was short on her premium and her coverage could not be continued. The letter, however, did not tell her how much she owed. She called Discovery Benefits and was aghast when she heard the amount. “I said, ‘Are you kidding?’ How am I going to pay you a penny’”?

After Carrington threatened to go the media, Discover Benefits reviewed their records and determined that she had, in fact, paid the correct dollar amount for her premiums, and decided to reinstate her coverage. June Harryman, a supervisory benefits adviser for the federal Employee Benefits Security Administration regional office in Kansas City, told the paper that the practice of companies revoking coverage after customers allegedly underpaid their premiums by a penny is not uncommon. “We’ve seen it before,” she said. “It’s not the first, and it won’t be the last.”

That's why they have the States Insurance officers. Most of them are good. Think trying it through the fed

Just a continuation of this administration's cram down policy on health care. Why should anyone be surprised?

Bypassed congress, which is the Presidents right.. Last thing they want is this guy on TV testifying for confirmation . He has some "unique "ideas on how to redistribute healthcare.

You could feel the shudder go thru the room when this was announced.

Bypassed congress, which is the Presidents right.. Last thing they want is this guy on TV testifying for confirmation . He has some "unique "ideas on how to redistribute healthcare.

You could feel the shudder go thru the room when this was announced.

Did we really want to sit through another Republican circus, just to get confirmed anyway?

That's what these things have turned into(especially from the party of no), I really see no point in having them unless there is a real possibility of being not confirmed. Allegations of being gay, communist, etc are just getting ridiculous.

"haven't heard one single legitimate complaint about this guy from Republicans. " Oh, you will. Especially come November

He's a strong patient rights advocate, Yes... That would be one way to put it .

is highly educated and very qualified Because he teaches at Harvard? But yes, that is also one way to put it... qualified.

is highly educated and very qualified; does that go against the Republican platform these days. Republicans ( many are Drs) have nothing against healthcare. It is THIS healthcare.

Have you read any of the Good Dr's papers? They are very enlightening and insightful with some very interesting ideas on how to save money.

Republicans are against condoms? In grade schools and such sure. They feel the PARENTS should have that responsibility .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom