MANDATORY health insurance, part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You quoted like 3 different ideas :huh:

which ones

social security in current form was a bad idea

tax cuts were a bad idea

war in iraq was a bad idea

big government health care program bad idea

we can't afford all of them

You don't want coverage because you're independently wealthy and can afford a major surgery if something happens to you today?

This doesn't make any sense.

And I've worked in public hospital administration for years and I can tell you it's not always much better. And the public insurance companies aren't efficient at all. I work in a hospital that is 60% covered. Last year we only had 38% of procedures reimbursed. And Medicare paid out much more than public insurance companies, so a lot of what they are telling you, lies.

what i meant was, one should only be fined if they try to get the health coverage after getting sick and going into the hospital.

medicare still does though turn down people like my grandmother who has alheimzers but thank god some of her treatments were picked up by cigna. my stepdad was telling the truth though, he could have lied to me but whom to do you mean lied to me.

Of course Medicare will still turn down, not everything is treatable or worthy of covering.

in maine people could jump in and out of the state run insurance at any time without having mandatory coverage.
This will soon change. You can't expect to pay in for a month get everything fixed and then get out.

what i meant was, one should only be fined if they try to get the health coverage after getting sick and going into the hospital.
So basically you want to be a betting man and hope you never get sick? Don't fine me until I get sick.

Of course Medicare will still turn down, not everything is treatable or worthy of covering.

according to whom? should the govt decide what is worthy of covering? the same govt that wanted to go to war with iraq? no thanks

like all big govt entitlement programs, this will also go bankrupt in time aka SS and medicare.

So basically you want to be a betting man and hope you never get sick? Don't fine me until I get sick.

nope i have insurance but if i didn't, it would be my responsibility to pay for stuff if it happened to me, for better or worse.

according to whom? should the govt decide what is worthy of covering?

Well, someone has to decide. And I think it's better if some public organisation (one whose main goal isn't to profit from health care premiums) does it than the insurance organisation themselves. Because then coverage would be even less (and/or premiums much higher).

The system might not be perfect, but nothing is. And it's better than no system at all. At least now there's hope that other parties will also try to improve it, instead of sandbagging anything that makes people better off.

Well, someone has to decide. And I think it's better if some public organisation (one whose main goal isn't to profit from health care premiums) does it than the insurance organisation themselves. Because then coverage would be even less (and/or premiums much higher).

The system might not be perfect, but nothing is. And it's better than no system at all. At least now there's hope that other parties will also try to improve it, instead of sandbagging anything that makes people better off.

I wish i had the faith in government like you do. the government just hasn't proven to me that they can do a good job with big social programs. but maybe this will work...who really knows.

It's not about faith in government, it's about lack of faith in (private) insurance companies.

but that is who will be in charge of it now, the same governement who got us into an unnecessary war, the same government who has me contributing thousands of dollars every year into bankrupt programs, the same government who seem to can't agree on how to handle terror, the same government who turned down my grandmother with alheimzers and now they are asking me to have faith again? you are a better man than me sir, truly.

it's the completion of the creation of the modern welfare state that began with LBJ, and is the hallmark of any advanced nation. we've lagged behind for too long, at last we are caught up. in many ways, this is the essence of political liberalism -- that the government has an obligation to look out for it's citizens, that this is the essence of civilization. we have medicaid/medicare, social security, some measure of welfare, the civil rights act, and now near-universal health care.

the argument is largely over. and the liberals have won. and for all the carping, these projects are tremendously popular. is anyone going to say that these things are mistakes? that we want our elderly dying in poverty unable to afford medication or to have segregated lunch counters? most of us have left behind the conservative dream of a backwards and brutal society where the elderly die in poverty without health care and African-Americans eat at separate lunch counters.

the liberals won. sure, regarding black people as political equals cost them the South from 1968-2008 (or longer), and health care may well kill the Dems in November.

but, really, is anyone going to actually argue for white supremacy and mass poverty?

Mr. Biden is right. it's a big fucking deal.

but that is who will be in charge of it now, the same governement who got us into an unnecessary war, the same government who has me contributing thousands of dollars every year into bankrupt programs, the same government who seem to can't agree on how to handle terror, the same government who turned down my grandmother with alheimzers and now they are asking me to have faith again? you are a better man than me sir, truly.

By that logic we should support anarchy since seemingly government is unable to do anything right at all.

By that logic we should support anarchy since seemingly government is unable to do anything right at all.

I am in favor of government oversite, not government run. I just named the biggest programs and now I am a libertarian, let not get that crazy.

I am in favor of government oversite, not government run.

I am now sure how you can have such extensive and intrusive oversight of private bodies without encroaching on their legal rights as separate legal entities.

It would strike me that this would be a far more frightening extension of the government for most people who are not very left on the spectrum.

I am now sure how you can have such extensive and intrusive oversight of private bodies without encroaching on their legal rights as separate legal entities.

It would strike me that this would be a far more frightening extension of the government for most people who are not very left on the spectrum.

Make better laws to regulate, not overtake with mandatory demands. Fine the insurance companies, not the businesses and people who need and have insurance.

according to whom? should the govt decide what is worthy of covering? the same govt that wanted to go to war with iraq? no thanks

So you trust the collective of profit only insurance companies more?

nope i have insurance but if i didn't, it would be my responsibility to pay for stuff if it happened to me, for better or worse.

And the liklihood of you being to afford the bill after a major accident or suddenly needing long term care is almost nil, so you would just be a drain.

So you trust the collective of profit only insurance companies more?

No but they did help out my family. They def. need more oversite. Should the government take over life insurance, homeowners , and car insurance next? As I said, almost every big social program the government has created is looming on bankruptcy, what happens when health care becomes bankrupt? but hey i could be wrong.

And the liklihood of you being to afford the bill after a major accident or suddenly needing long term care is almost nil, so you would just be a drain.

A drain on whom? I would have long term disablility insurance.

No but they did help out my family. They def. need more oversite. Should the government take over life insurance, homeowners , and car insurance next? As I said, almost every big social program the government has created is looming on bankruptcy, what happens when health care becomes bankrupt? but hey i could be wrong.

I'm glad they helped your family, but you're the minority. More times than not if medicare won't touch it most insurances definately won't touch it. You don't seem to get it. You will always have some entity deciding if you get treatment or not, there is NO way around that. So now with this bill you'll have a choice between those that are there purely for profit, or a public organization... :hmm:

Please do not compare my life with a car. Bad leap in logic.

A drain on whom? I would have long term disablility insurance.

Drain on me. And no, more than likely in this scenario you wouldn't have disability insurance.

I'm glad they helped your family, but you're the minority. More times than not if medicare won't touch it most insurances definately won't touch it. You don't seem to get it. You will always have some entity deciding if you get treatment or not, there is NO way around that. So now with this bill you'll have a choice between those that are there purely for profit, or a public organization... :hmm:

Please do not compare my life with a car. Bad leap in logic.

Drain on me. And no, more than likely in this scenario you wouldn't have disability insurance.

not trying to campare your life just insurance. i just got going on different kinds of insurance...how about just life insurance then? of course i get it, I just don't trust the government to do it when big government programs seem to be headed for bankruptcy...that is a proven fact and you must concede that. You can't tell me you aren't worried that the govt handling something so large doesn't bother you in the least. businesses can't compete with the govt because if a business is run poorly, it goes out of business. (never thought i would write that word so many times) i would love for you to name a company that is almost 12 trillion in debt and continues to be in business. also, my long term disabliltiy is much cheaper than my health insurance.

not trying to campare your life just insurance. i just got going on different kinds of insurance...how about just life insurance then?
Life and car insurance are luxuries... like I said, no comparison.

of course i get it, I just don't trust the government to do it when big government programs seem to be headed for bankruptcy...that is a proven fact and you must concede that. You can't tell me you aren't worried that the govt handling something so large doesn't bother you in the least. businesses can't compete with the govt because if a business is run poorly, it goes out of business. (never thought i would write that word so many times) i would love for you to name a company that is almost 12 trillion in debt and continues to be in business.
Then why not privatize the military, NASA, or our highway construction...

also, my long term disabliltiy is much cheaper than my health insurance.

You're not following, the person in the scenario had NO insurance.

Life and car insurance are luxuries... like I said, no comparison.

Then why not privatize the military, NASA, or our highway construction...

ok see your point, well what if anything goes wrong in the private sector should the govt take over? Should the govt take over the airlines?

I think private roads are fine, most turnpikes that I pay tolls for are in much better shape that interstates. on Govt roads have you ever seen how long construction takes? :wink:

the Military is not bankrupt but the spending for it by the govt has been mostly unjustified. (I might have been in favor of afghan 10 years ago but i don't know)

as far as nasa, i know i spend much more money on medicare and SS during the course of the year. i have never heard anyone say, that NASA is killing our economy.

ok see your point, well what if anything goes wrong in the private sector should the govt take over? Should the govt take over the airlines?

You tell me, if flights ended next month where do you see our economy going?

I think private roads are fine, most turnpikes that I pay tolls for are in much better shape that interstates. on Govt roads have you ever seen how long construction takes? :wink:

Come on now, try and look at the big picture. Do you realize how many roads wouldn't exist if it were all privatived?

as far as nasa, i know i spend much more money on medicare and SS during the course of the year. i have never heard anyone say, that NASA is killing our economy.

So wait, government did something right? I thought everything they did went bancrupt or wasn't worth your money? Herein lies one of the big problems: when you weigh how much the U.S. has spent on NASA with what we've really gotten from it, and then weigh it up against the money needed to save human lives people would probably re-think things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom