MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #41
The Fly
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 38
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Damn, above poster beat me to it

Enjoy!
__________________

Togna_Bologna is offline  
Old 09-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ― When Daly City resident Rosalinda Miran-Ramirez woke up one morning in April to find her left breast bleeding from the nipple, she panicked. The shirt she had been sleeping in was saturated with blood. So her husband took her to the emergency room at Seton Medical Center.

"In my mind I know something serious is going on," said Miran-Ramirez. "I need to see a doctor."

Doctors found a tumor and initially told her she had breast cancer. A biopsy later proved that assumption false; the tumor was benign.

But Miran-Ramirez said the real shock came when her insurance company, Blue Shield of California HMO, which had initially approved the claim for the emergency room visit, reversed course and sent her a new bill three months later requiring her to pay the total charges for that visit: $2,791.00.

Why? Documents from Blue Shield indicate the company had reviewed the case and determined Miran-Ramirez "reasonably should have known that an emergency did not exist."
Listen gals, if you wake up and your nipples are bleeding, don't get so bloody hysterical, it's no biggie.

(The insurer relented once the shaming by the media began - typical)
__________________

anitram is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,892
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
rights and equality thing
I believe these were the code words where Irvine was reading the racism between the lines. The examples you mentioned. . .young college grad etc wouldn't be demanding "rights and equality."

The people who are doing that are . . . not white. . .

But I generally avoid using the "opposition to health care reform/Obama is racism "argument, not because I don't think it's true, but because I don't think it is ALWAYS true and even when it might be true it's impossible to prove. So I just leave that argument off the table.

I think Obama does the same thing actually. Recall his response to Letterman's question on this issue.

You can disagree with his policies all you want, but you gotta admit the guy's a class act.
maycocksean is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,892
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Here's where I'm at these days on the health care debate:

I really think we need far more radical change than anything that is going to come out of Washington is going to provide.

The health insurance industry cannot be profitable and do what we want it to do. "Regular" health care needs to be decoupled from insurance altogether and that will never happen in this country.

What we will get is some watered-down, version of something that will mostly just cost us all a lot more.

I don't think that this means we should do nothing. The current situation is untenable. I'm just being in honest in saying I'm doubtful as to how effective any reform we get is going to be.
maycocksean is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #45
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
But I generally avoid using the "opposition to health care reform/Obama is racism "argument, not because I don't think it's true, but because I don't think it is ALWAYS true and even when it might be true it's impossible to prove.
The way I see it, racism in this country only still exists in a broad standpoint because everyone is making everything a racial issue. Especially things that have nothing to do with race in the first place. And other things really don't matter. I don't care that Obamas the first black president. Does that make me a racist? No, I just don't care about the color of one's skin.
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Here's where I'm at these days on the health care debate:

I really think we need far more radical change than anything that is going to come out of Washington is going to provide.

The health insurance industry cannot be profitable and do what we want it to do. "Regular" health care needs to be decoupled from insurance altogether and that will never happen in this country.

What we will get is some watered-down, version of something that will mostly just cost us all a lot more.

I don't think that this means we should do nothing. The current situation is untenable. I'm just being in honest in saying I'm doubtful as to how effective any reform we get is going to be.
Sean I agree 100%. I don't want any compromise or gradual change, I simply do not see the point. IMO the current system is unjust and downright stupid. However I don't have high hopes that I will see anything close to what I want any time soon...
Liesje is offline  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I believe these were the code words where Irvine was reading the racism between the lines.

come on, Sean. we've learned that racism only exists when people say to us, "yes, i am a racist." otherwise, we're being even worse than racists, which is suspecting that race might play a part in something even when people are telling us that, no, it isn't a part of something. and because they're calling Obama a nazi/socialist/peacenik/elitist/affirmative action baby/too cerebral/thug and every other name under the sun, just remember, that if they tell us that, why, no, i'm not at all taking his race into account, then, by all means, they're not! it's not like this country has a long, sordid past where african-americans were scapegoated for just about everything, nor have we ever constructed racialized "others" upon which class-based fears have been projected.

and, as ever, this murder was an isolated incident, and is not at all tied in to the Beck-inspired hysteria that's been sweeping through some parts of the GOP base ...

Quote:
AP source: Census worker hanged with 'fed' on body
By DEVLIN BARRETT and JEFFREY McMURRAY (AP) – 3 days ago
WASHINGTON — A U.S. Census worker found hanged from a tree near a Kentucky cemetery had the word "fed" scrawled on his chest, a law enforcement official said Wednesday, and the FBI is investigating whether he was a victim of anti-government sentiment.

The law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the case and requested anonymity, did not say what type of instrument was used to write the word on the chest of Bill Sparkman, a 51-year-old part-time Census field worker and teacher. He was found Sept. 12 in a remote patch of the Daniel Boone National Forest in rural southeast Kentucky.

The Census has suspended door-to-door interviews in rural Clay County, where the body was found, pending the outcome of the investigation. An autopsy report is pending.

Investigators have said little about the case. FBI spokesman David Beyer said the bureau is assisting state police and declined to confirm or discuss any details about the crime scene. "Our job is to determine if there was foul play involved — and that's part of the investigation — and if there was foul play involved, whether that is related to his employment as a Census worker," said Beyer.

Sparkman's mother, Henrie Sparkman of Inverness, Fla., told The Associated Press her son was an Eagle scout who moved to the area to be a local director for the Boy Scouts of America. She said he later became a substitute teacher in Laurel County and supplemented that income as a Census worker.
She said investigators have given her few details about her son's death — they told her the body was decomposed — and haven't yet released his body for burial. "I was told it would be better for him to be cremated," she said.

Henrie Sparkman said her son's death is a mystery to her. "I have my own ideas, but I can't say them out loud. Not at this point," she said. "Right now, what I'm doing, I'm just waiting on the FBI to come to some conclusion."

Lucindia Scurry-Johnson, assistant director of the Census Bureau's southern office in Charlotte, N.C., said law enforcement officers have told the agency the matter is "an apparent homicide" but nothing else.

Census employees were told Sparkman's truck was found nearby, and a computer he was using for work was found inside it, she said. He worked part-time for the Census, usually conducting interviews once or twice a month.

Sparkman has worked for the Census since 2003, spanning five counties in the surrounding area. Much of his recent work had been in Clay County, officials said.

Door-to-door operations have been suspended in Clay County pending a resolution of the investigation, Scurry-Johnson said.

The Census Bureau has yet to begin door-to-door canvassing for the 2010 head count, but it has thousands of field workers doing smaller surveys on various demographic topics on behalf of federal agencies. Next year, the Census Bureau will dispatch up to 1.2 million temporary employees to locate hard-to-find residents.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our co-worker," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with William Sparkman's son, other family and friends."
Locke called him "a shining example of the hardworking men and women employed by the Census Bureau."

Appalachia scholar Roy Silver, a New York City native now living in Harlan County, Ky., said he doesn't sense an outpouring of anti-government sentiment in the region as has been exhibited in town hall meetings in other parts of the country.

"I don't think distrust of government is any more or less here than anywhere else in the country," said Silver, a sociology professor at Southeast Community College.

The most deadly attack on federal workers came in 1995 when the federal building in Oklahoma City was devastated by a truck bomb, killing 168 and injuring more than 680. Timothy McVeigh, who was executed for the bombing, carried literature by modern, ultra-right-wing anti-government authors.
A private group called PEER, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, tracks violence against employees who enforce environmental regulations, but the group's executive director, Jeff Ruch, said it's hard to know about all of the cases because some agencies don't share data on instances of violence against employees.

From 1996 to 2006, according to the group's most recent data, violent incidents against federal Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service workers soared from 55 to 290.

Ruch said that after the 1995 bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City, "we kept getting reports from employees that attacks and intimidation against federal employees had not diminished, and that's why we've been tracking them."

"Even as illustrated in town hall meetings today, there is a distinct hostility in a large segment of the population toward people who work for their government," Ruch said.

McMurray reported from Lexington, Ky. Associated Press writers Roger Alford in Frankfort, Ky., and Hope Yen in Washington contributed to this report.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:34 PM

...
Quote:
Monday, September 28, 2009 Email to a Friend ShareThis
Advertisement

Just 41% of voters nationwide now favor the health care reform proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats. That’s down two points from a week ago and the lowest level of support yet measured.
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 56% are opposed to the plan.
diamond is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #49
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
come on, Sean. we've learned that racism only exists when people say to us, "yes, i am a racist." otherwise, we're being even worse than racists, which is suspecting that race might play a part in something even when people are telling us that, no, it isn't a part of something. and because they're calling Obama a nazi/socialist/peacenik/elitist/affirmative action baby/too cerebral/thug and every other name under the sun, just remember, that if they tell us that, why, no, i'm not at all taking his race into account, then, by all means, they're not! it's not like this country has a long, sordid past where african-americans were scapegoated for just about everything, nor have we ever constructed racialized "others" upon which class-based fears have been projected.
What if say Michael Steele was president? Then what?
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
What if say Michael Steele was president? Then what?
What do you think? Who would all those racist at the tea parties vote for if it was Steele vs Obama? Probably stay home, don't you think?

Would we see all the racist "joke" emails if it was Steele?

"painting the white house"
"planting watermelon"
"Obama's face will be currency, food stamps"(that one actually made it to interference)
Etc, etc, etc...

What do you honestly think?
BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #51
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
What do you think? Who would all those racist at the tea parties vote for if it was Steele vs Obama? Probably stay home, don't you think?

Would we see all the racist "joke" emails if it was Steele?

"painting the white house"
"planting watermelon"
"Obama's face will be currency, food stamps"(that one actually made it to interference)
Etc, etc, etc...

What do you honestly think?
Why not, if its about race and not policies?
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Why not, if its about race and not policies?


"Why not" to what? I asked you several different questions.

I think you missed my point. Steele more than likely would not have the votes and the tea parties wouldn't exist.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #53
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
"Why not" to what? I asked you several different questions.

I think you missed my point. Steele more than likely would not have the votes and the tea parties wouldn't exist.
I said "why not," in terms of would there be less racist "joke" emails. To your other question, the truly racist voters obviously wouldn't have voted, or would have gone 3rd party. But I think its ridiculous to say all the tea parties are a bunch of racists. While I I think displaying a picture of him with a hitler moustache or making him look like stalin, or what have you is really pretty much stupid, I still fail to see how that makes you a RACIST...
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I said "why not," in terms of would there be less racist "joke" emails. To your other question, the truly racist voters obviously wouldn't have voted, or would have gone 3rd party.
To which I'm saying if it was Nov 08 Republicans would have lost again, but by a larger margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
But I think its ridiculous to say all the tea parties are a bunch of racists.
Once again, drop the all or nothing mentality. No one is saying ALL. But you have to ask yourself, why haven't you, 2861, Rush, Hannity, Beck truly stepped up called these people out, in fact why haven't you called Rush or Beck out on their racism? Why? Because you know you wouldn't have the numbers, and you're desperate. And also you still don't quite see it, which isn't blatant racism, but it's still racism. Why do you allow Rush to commision 'The Magic Negro' song and laugh while he plays it? Why did NO ONE on his side call him out on that shit? I thought you were all "christians"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
While I I think displaying a picture of him with a hitler moustache or making him look like stalin, or what have you is really pretty much stupid, I still fail to see how that makes you a RACIST...
Here's a little historical context:

BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #55
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
so that automatically makes these people racist? But anyways, yeah, I don't like Rush a whole lot, even if I agree with him SOMETIMES, I like Glen Beck when he isn't being a total ass about Obama.

Quote:
To which I'm saying if it was Nov 08 Republicans would have lost again, but by a larger margin.
Racists who voted for Mccain don't have to be a conservative republican..but anyways yeah I'll go ahead and say there a bunch of backwood racist conservatives and other right wing nuts, just like there are left wing nuts.

Quote:
Once again, drop the all or nothing mentality. No one is saying ALL. But you have to ask yourself, why haven't you, 2861, Rush, Hannity, Beck truly stepped up called these people out, in fact why haven't you called Rush or Beck out on their racism? Why? Because you know you wouldn't have the numbers, and you're desperate. And also you still don't quite see it, which isn't blatant racism, but it's still racism. Why do you allow Rush to commision 'The Magic Negro' song and laugh while he plays it? Why did NO ONE on his side call him out on that shit? I thought you were all "christians"?
I actually did not know Rush played that song, for I don't listen to him much. And I do think it's terrible that he does that. As a matter of fact I don't listen to many conservative pundits, they kind of annoy me.
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
so that automatically makes these people racist?
See, I'm not sure what you are talking about since there is no paticular part of my post quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
As a matter of fact I don't listen to many conservative pundits, they kind of annoy me.
Good for you.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #57
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,346
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
See, I'm not sure what you are talking about since there is no paticular part of my post quoted.
I was directing that towards the picture, which in retrospect I guess you can quote haha
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 02:34 PM
So you don't think those people in the photo are racists? Are you serious?

THIS is part of the problem.

Is there any hope for conservatives?
BVS is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
so that automatically makes these people racist?
Yes.
anitram is offline  
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
What if say Michael Steele was president? Then what?


but he's not.

i think that if Obama were white that many of the teabaggers would disagree with him, it's just that race makes it easier to hate him.

then again, these people were/are irrational about the Clintons.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Dog Lovers.... Part 3 U2Fanatic4ever Lemonade Stand 1019 05-19-2012 03:35 AM
Hell-th Insurance WARNING: LONG POST! BluRmGrl Zoo Confessionals 7 10-26-2006 09:04 PM
On (not) having health insurance wolfeden Zoo Confessionals 14 03-24-2004 11:15 AM
White House seeks control on health, safety Scarletwine Free Your Mind Archive 1 01-13-2004 04:54 PM
Bono today at the conference in Africa U2Kitten Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 9 01-15-2002 09:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×