Malibu wildfire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2861U2 said:
Global warming caused arsonists to set these fires? :eyebrow:

No, there will always be irresponsible individuals who start fires, however perhaps you need to ask yourself why these particular fires spread so fast and why these kinds of incidents seem to be happening more frequently.

I'd say it runs more along the following lines:-

'"There is growing scientific concurrence that climate change will increase areas burned, which will result in increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouses gases from wildfires," Ann Bartuska, a fire ecology researcher for the USDA Forest Service, testified before Congress last month.'

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews/hc-wildfire1024.artoct24,0,7455294.story

redkat said:

I didn't know there was one. No one I've talked to that has been evacuated knows if their houses are gone or not.

You might be able to find people on this list. https://disastersafe.redcross.org/

people can register so you know they are safe.

The fires were caused by all sorts of different things. Arson, construction, embers from other fires.

Here is a list of specific areas that are evacuated. Not including Camp Pendleton marine base which was just announced. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5719546

Thanks, redkat. I did find again the list I mentioned. It's certainly not comprehensive but it's something:
http://www.cbs8.com/misc/fires_oct_07/homes_destroyed.html

corianderstem said:
I thought arson was suspected in only one of the fires.

you are correct

Officials: Arson Behind Santiago Fire

Oct. 24, 2007(CBS/AP) CBS News has learned a task force of agencies, including the FBI, ATF, the Orange County Fire Authority and the California Department of Forestry will announce shortly that the massive Santiago Canyon Fire - which has caused an estimated $10 million in damage - is being officially declared an arson, and a $50,000 reward is being offered to find the arsonist.

Investigators have identified two separate "points of origin" where they believe the fire was set, CBS News has learned. FBI agents secured the scene to "maintain its integrity."

The Santiago Fire has burned about 19,200 acres east of Irvine, officials said, and it is around 30 percent contained. Six homes and eight outbuildings have been destroyed, with another eight homes and 12 outbuildings damaged. Four firefighters have been injured fighting the blaze and about 3,000 people evacuated.

It is the fire that is about 10 miles from my property and about 2 miles from the woman's home I am currently dating .

There might be something on CNN. I know they are using google maps to pin point fires.
They do have a list somewhere but I couldn't find it. My computer froze. I can only imagin the millions of people trying to find out something.
But I thought they had a scrolling video of the affected areas somewhere on CNN.

Reading the scroll bar on CNN it says there is a list of celebrities who have been evacuated at: cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/10/23/fire.entertainment/index.html
I was trying to find out if Edges canyon was on fire (no pun intended) but my computer wasn't able to load the site. no surprise there. However, I don't know the name of the canyon he lives in. A number of programs filming in Santa Clarita, including the show '24', have had to shut down shooting.

Anyway. surely they have something for the adverage citizen to locate a road or area that has been blocked off because of the fire.
If not they should. There are more important things than Hollywood, IMO :wink:
Praying for everyone and for rain.:heart:

financeguy said:
But I know that Democrats apologising for telling the truth is de rigeur nowadays.

Sad but true :sigh:. Something weird's going on somewhere, because we're having our natural disasters as always, but they're getting to be some of the worst ones people have experienced. I wouldn't automatically dismiss someone who claims it's related to things like global warming.

As for that arsonist...:down: :rant:. Idiot. I hope they find them and punish them properly.

Angela

This is interesting:

FBI: al-Qaeda detainee spoke of fire plot

PHOENIX (AP) — The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.
Rose Davis, a spokeswoman for the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, told The Associated Press that officials there took note of the warning but didn't see a need to act further on it.

The contents of the June 25 memo from the FBI's Denver office were reported Friday by The Arizona Republic. Davis declined to share a copy of the memo and an FBI spokeswoman in Denver didn't immediately return a telephone call.

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.

The memo noted that investigators couldn't determine whether the detainee was telling the truth.

The newspaper said many forest law enforcement officers it contacted had no idea the warning had been issued.

coemgen said:
This is interesting:

PHOENIX (AP) — The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.

I have two completely different thoughts on this

1. The Reichstag fire

could be very useful

2. all the money in the world spent on homeland security
all the people put on no fly list
all the eaves dropping on phone calls is pointless

against one person driving cross country with a case of cigarettes

all one would have to do
is toss out lit cigs every 20 miles or so
and this whole country would go up in smoke - there is such a limited number of responders, especially with the National Guard over seas

they say the Roman Empire burned
it could happen again so easily
and the panic would be more than that from the Anthrax attacks

deep said:

I have two completely different thoughts on this

1. The Reichstag fire

could be very useful

2. all the money in the world spent on homeland security
all the people put on no fly list
all the eaves dropping on phone calls is pointless

against one person driving cross country with a case of cigarettes

all one would have to do
is toss out lit cigs every 20 miles or so
and this whole country would go up in smoke - there is such a limited number of responders, especially with the National Guard over seas

they say the Roman Empire burned
it could happen again so easily
and the panic would be more than that from the Anthrax attacks

It makes sense, doesn't it? There's going to be a lot of fire spotters if this is true . . .

BonosLil'Pal94 said:
I took some pictures through my window :(

firesky1.jpg

firesky2.jpg

this one just looks like it's windy, but you can see that the neighbor's fence has been knocked down :(
windyskyrightsize.jpg

:hug: Be safe! and take care :(

coemgen said:
This is interesting:

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.

Well, the West burns nearly every summer from lightning and downed power lines, so these guys would have competition. And investigators would find such devices, wouldn't they.

No, sadly, not everything bad that happens is a result of a boogeyman.

martha said:

It wouldn't make sense at all. Why do it? Especially when it's already done on a yearly basis anyway?

As for it being able to be done, I'm not so sure. The logistics would be difficult.

It could be targeted. It may be done by natural causes, but don't you think this one's different?

Terrible what's happening out there! I couldn't imagine losing my home and all my belongings! My God! :sad: I hope many were able to rescue precious items from their homes before the fire hit. :pray:

coemgen said:

but don't you think this one's different?

No. We get wildfires caused by humans here quite a lot. They don't need time-delay devices; they need access to a freeway and brush.

This arson fire is like the one in Banning last year (I think it was last year). The US has its share of sick fucks that set fires. They're not working for any boogeyman organization; they're just fucked up.

coemgen said:
We're not saying that's it, it just would make sense. It could be done.

Well I think the boogeyman, usually likes to do things he can take credit for, it's part of his MO. Why use something that happens all the time, no one gets scared of you that way...

But you said it make sense, to me it would make little sense at all...

I just think it's the 'everytime theres a fire or mishap we jump on the terrorist scenario' environment that so many people live in today.

Real Fake News: FEMA Asks, FEMA Answers
Al Kamen reports that FEMA is learning lessons from the Daily Show: Staging a mock press conference, and airing it as though it were real.

“Are you happy with FEMA’s response so far?” a reporter asked. Another asked about “lessons learned from Katrina.”"I’m very happy with FEMA’s response so far,” Johnson said, hailing “a very smoothly, very efficiently performing team.”

…Very smooth, very professional. But something didn’t seem right. The reporters were lobbing too many softballs. No one asked about trailers with formaldehyde for those made homeless by the fires. And the media seemed to be giving Johnson all day to wax on and on about FEMA’s greatness.

Of course, that could be because the questions were asked by FEMA staffers playing reporters. We’re told the questions were asked by Cindy Taylor, FEMA’s deputy director of external affairs, and by “Mike” Widomski, the deputy director of public affairs. Director of External Affairs John “Pat” Philbin asked a question, and another came, we understand, from someone who sounds like press aide Ali Kirin.

Somebody needs to be fired for this.

Shades of Jeff Gannon.

ab9ce61a46d05f62074b.jpeg

corianderstem said:
I thought arson was suspected in only one of the fires.

You are correct:

Here's the link with vid clips:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/24/national/main3401265.shtml

Officials: Arson Behind Santiago Fire
Meanwhile Winds Slow, Giving Firefighters A Fighting Chance
Comments 372 | Page 1 of 2
SAN DIEGO, Oct. 25, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Least One Fire Was Arson
Officials have confirmed that the Santiago fire in Orange, Calif., was the work of an arsonist. Meanwhile, firefighters regroup and evacuees wonder about their homes. Katie Couric reports. | Share

At Least One Fire Was Arson (2:34)
Fires' Smoke Sickens Many (1:47)
Have Humans Made Fires Worse? (2:20)» More Videos

Ferocious SoCal Fires

Blazes bedevil firefighters, force thousands to flee and leave rubble and ash in their wake.
More Coverage:
Stories:
Arson Investigation Continues
Bodies Found After Fires

Multimedia:
Photos Of The Fires

CBS News In California:
KCBS-TV (LA) | KFMB-TV (San Diego)
KNX Radio (LA) | KFWB-AM Radio (LA)

(CBS/AP) CBS News has learned a task force of agencies, including the FBI, ATF, the Orange County Fire Authority and the California Department of Forestry will announce shortly that the massive Santiago Canyon Fire -- which has caused an estimated $10 million in damage -- is being officially declared an arson, and a $70,000 reward is being offered to find the arsonist.

Investigators have identified two separate "points of origin" where they believe the fire was set, CBS News has learned. FBI agents secured the scene to "maintain its integrity."

--------------------------

I think arson is one of the most cowardly of crimes. Cowards to it anonymously for either sadistic attention and/or to destroy property.

People and fire fighters have died because of these fires that have been started by arsonists, and there have been scores of injuries, from smoke inhalation to asthmatic reactions-cowardly arsonists disgust me.

What rankles me even more is I happen to know of a person who in the past was convicted of arson and that person happens to post in these forums quite frequently; I will leave that poster's idenity anonymous.

dbs

Last edited:
diamond said:

What rankles me even more is I happen to know of a person who in the past was convicted of arson and that person happens to post in these forums quite frequently; I will leave that poster's idenity anonymous.

Well they've obviously served their time, so let's forgive and move on.

Back
Top Bottom