Major power outage hits New York, other large cities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A major power outage simultaneously struck dozens of cities in the United States and Canada late Thursday afternoon.

Cities affected include New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto, Ontario; and Ottawa, Ontario. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m.

State officials said the Niagara-Mohawk power grid was overloaded. The grid provides power for New York and stretches into Canada. The officials said the outage is a natural occurrence and not related to terrorism.

Much of Midtown Manhattan and Wall Street were shut down. All area airports and the Long Island Railroad were also affected. The airports were operating on back-up power and operations were reported to be normal, officials said.

The New York City Police Department said they were trying to determine what happened.

Thousands of people could be seen leaving buildings and walking into the streets. New York subways were reported stopped and people were trapped in the cars.

:down:

hopefully they fix this soon, i can't imagine being stuck in the subway for too long.

this is seriously one of the most crazy things i've ever seen on the news. there are people everywhere. say a prayer there aren't any riots or anything. :crack:

i had no idea our power system was all linked like that. good lord.

:crazy:

begin media circus

to be honest BVS, when they interrupted my regularly scheduled program and said "power out in NYC/northeast" i woke up from a nap - scared. you never know if maybe terrorists took out the power so they could attack.

it's not paranoia really, it's fear that's based off of past happenings.

it's important for them to tell the rest of the power-filled country that it's not terror-related, to ease fears and curb the chance of panics around the country.

seeing all those people in the streets reminds me very much of 9/11.

my thoughts are with the people on the subway - no power, hot, overcrowded, and really no way to know what caused the power outage.

hopefully they fix this before nightfall. but they already have the national guard coming in to stave off possible riots or theft.

Last edited:
Re: begin media circus

Lilly said:
hopefully they fix this before nightfall. but they already have the national guard coming in to stave off possible riots or theft.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, some will take advantage of the situation.

turn the power back on NOW!

people can't live in the heat without electricity.

we are people
we are AMERICANS

we are not Iraqis:no:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What kind of paranoia state do we live in when everytime something happens, they have to report that it's not terrorists?

If that's true, it's not only people in the US who are paranoid because quite honestly the first thing that occured to me when I heard the news was that it could be terrorist related. Seriously - at least four major cities lose power simultaneously, it's not *that* paranoid to be nervous and concerned.

lol, was this post uncharacteristic of me or what? :wink:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Awww, thanks Dread. :) That's an...um...interesting signature ya got there. :p

Thanks....:lol:

On a serious note.....COuld they be telling us it is not terrorism when it really is to keep people calm?

Maybe the Worm Virus?

I thought about that briefly too, but can you imagine the public response if this really was an act of terrorism and yet numerous public officials had gone on tv and radio and stated that it wasn't? I think it would do so much harm to public trust that they wouldn't like to risk it unless there was absolutely no alternative.

Someone on tv just mentioned something about that computer virus now - they said they doubted power outages were caused by human error because there are so many checks in their system that it would have to be like four people making the same error to create a problem this big.

It is obvious we need TOTAL INFORMATION AWARENESS now.

I want the government in EVERYBODYS COMPUTER checking everything. Monitoring EVERYTHING! Bring back Poindexter!

Our freedom and privacy is not important.

Last edited:
Pre-911 this didn't happen. Power would go out, planes would crash, accidents happened and we didn't have terrorist as the first thought in our mind. In the US we've had one major terrorist attack in how many years?

I just wonder if this would still occur post 9/11 if it hadn't been for the Homeland Security's terroist alerts and Bush's "war on terrorism", and all this other stuff we're bombarded with on an almost daily occurence.

I mean we had a firework stand that caught fire near Dallas here, and they had to comeout and state it wasn't a terrorist attack.

Let's lower the paranoia level. Post-9/11, people are going to be scared of terrorism no matter what. I sincerely doubt that EVERYONE would say that it was not related to terrorism if it was. Almost no one posting in this thread lives near NYC; I am 2 hours away and I can state definitively that it has been stinking hot around here for 2 weeks straight. I would bet anything that this comes down to millions of people running air conditioners 24/7 for two consecutive weeks. If everyone stays calm about this, it will be resolved quickly and peacefully.

deep said:

nbcrusader said:

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, some will take advantage of the situation.

are we talking about the Bush administration and 9-11?

hey deep,

let's give it a rest for a bit, ok? no one was saying anything about bush, the power outage has nothing to do with him, more to do with hot temperatures and ACs on 24/7 for 2 weeks.

keep replies related to the topic please :)

thanks,
lilly

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Pre-911 this didn't happen. Power would go out, planes would crash, accidents happened and we didn't have terrorist as the first thought in our mind. In the US we've had one major terrorist attack in how many years?

I just wonder if this would still occur post 9/11 if it hadn't been for the Homeland Security's terroist alerts and Bush's "war on terrorism", and all this other stuff we're bombarded with on an almost daily occurence.

I mean we had a firework stand that caught fire near Dallas here, and they had to comeout and state it wasn't a terrorist attack.

1. last time there was a power outage like this was 30+ years ago, this type of poweroutage is rare. we actually had 3 major terror attacks in the last 10 years. (wtc in 1993, oklahoma city bombing in 1997 {i think}, and 9/11)

2. yes. living in a post 9/11 era makes people more fearful naturally of things out of the ordinary. even if we didn't have a terror level rating, or were told every day that al-quaeda is regrouping, i think it's pretty natural to think terrorism when a major blackout downs cities like NYC, detroit, cinncinatti, toronto, ottawa etc.

3. and while that seems absurd to anounce it's not a terrorist attack, i think it's more to put people at ease. yes, it seems silly and overcompensatory, but the average american isn't always up on what's going on outside of their town/county. but i do agree it's absurd.

In 24-48 hours there will be a generally accepted explanation of why this happened. Perhaps they will get to the bottom of it.

In California we had rolling power outages awhile back. Everyone believed it was due to higher usage. It turned out it was mostly due to supply manipulation. Suppliers paid fines and refunds for fraud. I have no idea what happened in NY.

Usually in situations like this I sit back and wait for clarification instead of jumping on the speculation bandwagon.

This is bizarre. Thank goodness my sisters in NYC don't ride subways to and from work. I hope my cosmetologist sister didn't have to close her shop early.

Back
Top Bottom