Major Earthquake in Indonesia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Quake kills at least 2,900 in Indonesia
AP - 28 minutes ago
YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia - A powerful earthquake flattened homes and hotels in central Indonesia early Saturday as people slept, killing at least 2,900 and injuring thousands more in the nation's worst disaster since the 2004 tsunami.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/indonesia_earthquake

My gosh, what's going on over there? First the tsunami, then a series of minor earthquakes, then a brewing volcano, and now this!

Pearl said:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/indonesia_earthquake

My gosh, what's going on over there? First the tsunami, then a series of minor earthquakes, then a brewing volcano, and now this!
Well the oceanic lithosphere from the Australian plate is being pushed underneath Indonesia and as it reaches great depths the sediments that remain on the plate and the hydrated rocks undergo dehydration reactons that give off water which lowers the solidus temperature and allows melts to be created, these then migrate up through the mantle wedge and crust creating volcanos, buildups of stress along the subducting plate and large displacements along faults can cause earthquakes and tsunamis.

Thanks A_Wanderer..........saves me from researching this. You really do get around. :|

PS: Pat has been busy pressing weights from what I've read.......:huh:

Thanks A_Wanderer. It really makes you wonder because this morning there were two earthquakes near Fiji, which had an earthquake a few weeks ago.
You'd think the South Pacific is going to crash into the ocean

Nasty, the death toll is rising too......Indonesia always gets the bad luck....

Meanwhile, just around the corner in East Timor, gangs are roaming the streets armed with machetes Rwanda '94-style. The UN has apparently pulled out of the region or something. I don't like the look of this. At least the Aussie government has intervened quickly.

Right, East Timor = good intervention.

It gets confusing sometimes, since one style of intervention and nation building is considered positive while another is considerd imperialism and then doing nothing at all makes one responsible for the outcome.

Pearl said:
Thanks A_Wanderer. It really makes you wonder because this morning there were two earthquakes near Fiji, which had an earthquake a few weeks ago.
You'd think the South Pacific is going to crash into the ocean
Well it all is really, at the centre of these oceanic plates new crust is being created, this new crust pushes the plates out to the side and at the margins of continents the crust gets pushed underneath and into the earth, there is no oceanic plates older than the Jurassic (but we have bits that have been scraped off called ophiolites), geologically the oceanic plates are young.

Then there's the suspected human-to-human transmission of the bird flu that killed 8 family members in Indonesia last week. :(

A_Wanderer said:
Right, East Timor = good intervention.

It gets confusing sometimes, since one style of intervention and nation building is considered positive while another is considerd imperialism and then doing nothing at all makes one responsible for the outcome.

our troops are hardly on the same playing field as the US's. Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom