Love the Film, Hate the Sin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Jerry Falwell, who has publicly preached against homosexuals—are encouraging their congregations to see the movie.

the message of the story is that you should reach out in love to people you disagree with.

Religion: Love the Film, Hate the Sin? Christians Debate.

Newsweek

Feb. 6, 2006 issue - Chad Allen: former drug-using teen heartthrob, lapsed Roman Catholic, gay activist and ... Christian missionary. The choice of the openly gay Allen as the lead actor in "End of the Spear," a new Christian-made movie about the real-life story of a son who makes peace with an Amazon tribe that killed his missionary father, has created a dilemma for moviegoers who want to support the movie's message, but not its messenger. "This story is perhaps one of the most precious, well-known mission stories of the last century," says Jason Janz, an assistant pastor in Colorado who brought attention to the issue on his fundamentalist blog, SharperIron.org. "I believe it was bad judgment to cast one of Hollywood's foremost gay activists in the leading role." But, at the same time, other religious leaders—including Jerry Falwell, who has publicly preached against homosexuals—are encouraging their congregations to see the movie.

The schizophrenic response from the Christian community is a blow to the movie's producers, who were hoping for a unified "Passion of the Christ"-type turnout. "It's disappointing," says Jim Hanon, the film's director and co-writer. "Especially because the message of the story is that you should reach out in love to people you disagree with."

When the movie's producers offered the part to Allen, who currently attends a Christian congregation, they didn't know he was gay. (The producers aren't exactly the target audience for The Advocate, which put Allen on the cover when he came out in 2001.) Ultimately, the decision to leave Allen in the role was left up to the man the movie is based on, Steve Saint, since Allen was set to play Steve—and his slain father—in the film. "My dad was my hero, and the thought of someone playing him that advocates that lifestyle made me very uncomfortable," says Saint. "But I realized it wasn't for me to condone or to condemn what Chad does or doesn't do. That is God's prerogative. And I feel that God had his hand in setting up this complex scenario for Chad to play this part."

Not everyone agrees that Allen is God-sent. Janz recently got more than 100 pastors to join him in signing a letter to the movie's producers saying that they couldn't in good conscience support the film. There is, however, one upside to having Allen in the movie. "I'm absolutely sure we're having people check it out that never would have gone to a 'Christian' movie," says Allen. "I went with 30 of my close friends, and we walked away having these amazing spiritual conversations together." Which is exactly what both Saints were trying to do in that Amazon jungle.

[q]"I believe it was bad judgment to cast one of Hollywood's foremost gay activists in the leading role." [/q]

there is so much that is fucked up about this statement that i don't even know where to begin.

oh, and randomly, i thought Chad Allen was hot in that weird pre-pubescent way when he played Nicole's boyfriend Zack on the gay-sounding show, "My Two Dads."

2dads4.jpg

schizophrenic response from the Christian community

except Jerry Fallwell gets it?

what an actor does in his personal life is not relavent

Jerry likes the film
and he recommends it.

I was not going to see this film.

But, I think I will

it could do me some good.

The fact that he is gay is completely irrelevant

There are so many important things these people should be concerned with, yet they waste time on this. Not to mention the contradiction with the message of the movie, which has already been pointed out

:banghead:

Kenneth Branagh
made a 4 hour production of Hamlet

C. Heston played
the player King

it was the last role
I remember him in

If some people refused to see the film because of his NRA association

It would be their loss.

deep said:

except Jerry Fallwell gets it?

what an actor does in his personal life is not relavent

Jerry likes the film
and he recommends it.

I was not going to see this film.

But, I think I will

it could do me some good.

If big names like Fallwell back the movie (and it is quite a moving story), I wonder how hard one has to dig to find idiots like Jason Janz?

We see only a couple movies a year - this will be one of them.

nbcrusader said:

If big names like Fallwell back the movie (and it is quite a moving story), I wonder how hard one has to dig to find idiots like Jason Janz?

We see only a couple movies a year - this will be one of them.

i see a couple of movies a month.

i had heard about this, but had no particular interest.

now, it's on my list.

Back
Top Bottom