Lord help me. Must all college professors be flaming liberals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well then why not, as others have suggested, just drop the class and take it some other time from someone else?

Oh, I know why--because then you couldn't come here and bitch about how hard it is to be discriminated against as a straight, probably white boy. :hmm:

Look, the more educated you are, the more you're going to tend liberal. It's just the way it's always been.

What's more, how many conservatives ever go into teaching? Think about it. Two students graduate college. One liberal, one conservative. Which one do you suppose is going to enter business? Which one academia? Is it really that surprising that college professors tend to be more liberal? Conservatives always think there's some grand conspiracy. Either do something about or get over it.

U2democrat said:
I butt heads with my Republican teachers all the time, but i don't get pissed about it. I enjoy the differing opinions, it keeps me and my teachers on our toes. Sometimes they open up my mind to new ideas, and vice versa. Last year my econ teacher was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as me, but we had a great time arguing and learning from each other. Take advantage of your disagreements, learn from others and teach them in return.

I went to a VERY CONSERVATIVE College, where I was the Liberal.

I remember when I worked on the Gary Hart campaign I had to constantly replace my bumper sticker. Different issue.

I very often found myself arguing passionately with the professors in class.

In my senior year, one of my friends and one of my professors were subjected to racism up to and including threats in the mail and a bullet through my professors car window.

We were forbidden to discuss it in the LIVING ISSUES class required for graduation and the college paper was sensored by the college. It was a topic not suitable for public discussion.

Dreadsox and friends started our own newspaper and put it out while everyone was at Chapel.

u2Democrat....You are a wise student, someone whom I wish I had the pleasure of having in class.

What school do you go to? I find this interesting because I never remember having teachers like this, not even my African-American prof teaching protest lit with books like "The Jungle" and "Hiroshima" and "Native Son". But I went to school in Missouri.

In fact, one of my best lecture classes was taught by a guy who lost a Senate primary two years earlier to Ashcroft I believe. Republican guy but one of the best poli sci teachers ever. And the only reason I knew he was a Republican was because my teaching assistant told us.

I'm not going to a university yet, just a community college in Yakima, Washington.

And I don't really wanna drop out now because it's too late to get into another class now and I want 15 credits this year.

Yeah, guess nobody warns you of that in high school huh?

I just wonder if those teachers, would "tweak" your grades, because of an opposing viewpoint. I've read of this happening, so I don't know.

I thought you're supposed to get a grade because you worked for it, you learned the material, you showed a certain level of understanding in it, and your grade reflects on that, not your idealogical and political opinions.

Maybe this hasn't happened to anyone you know, or doesn't make headlines, but would you want your future ruined, via poor grades, because the instructor just didn't like your political opinions. They are people, just because they have degrees, doesn't mean they won't behave in certain ways, especially if someone doesn't agree with them, on both sides.

Guess I'm really jaded about this so called, "higher education." If it's simply to learn new things, why can't I learn some of this, in my own spare time.

Doctors, sure, they should get formal training from experts in those fields, engineers, contractors, safety inspectors. I just wonder, is it really worth it.

I'll bet I know more about Ireland than your professor Shart. :)

Bah, I'm going to be a painter or something, that's what I really want to do, something in the arts, more creativity, less rigidity in content, and the eccentricity of some art professors, can be very amusing.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

I went to a VERY CONSERVATIVE College, where I was the Liberal.

I remember when I worked on the Gary Hart campaign I had to constantly replace my bumper sticker. Different issue.

I very often found myself arguing passionately with the professors in class.

In my senior year, one of my friends and one of my professors were subjected to racism up to and including threats in the mail and a bullet through my professors car window.

We were forbidden to discuss it in the LIVING ISSUES class required for graduation and the college paper was sensored by the college. It was a topic not suitable for public discussion.

Dreadsox and friends started our own newspaper and put it out while everyone was at Chapel.

u2Democrat....You are a wise student, someone whom I wish I had the pleasure of having in class.

Thanks Dread that was an awesome compliment. You sound exciting too Dread. I wish my peers were as convicted in their opinions so the discussion would be more than just me and the teacher. Hopefully I will meet people who make more contributions in college.

I truly feel if I can engage my students, and at the end of the day they cannot tell me what side of an issue I am on, then I have done my job.

Unfortunately, this skill can sometimes carry over into my real life outside of school and cause confusion.:huh:

Dreadsox said:
I truly feel if I can engage my students, and at the end of the day they cannot tell me what side of an issue I am on, then I have done my job.

Unfortunately, this skill can sometimes carry over into my real life outside of school and cause confusion.:huh:

My history teacher last year was the same way, it was very difficult to figure out which side she was on. Now that I don't have her I know that she's a Democrat so that makes me happy. :wink:

U2democrat said:

My history teacher last year was the same way, it was very difficult to figure out which side she was on. Now that I don't have her I know that she's a Democrat so that makes me happy. :wink:

my dad taught US history to high school students for nearly 30 years. he never mastered the art of containing his bias. i recall him yelling various derogatory comments about clinton out his second floor window in demonstration of the first amendment.

you should hear the slack i get for my che guevarra poster. "lord, where did i go wrong?" :wink:

Se7en said:

you should hear the slack i get for my che guevarra poster. "lord, where did i go wrong?" :wink:

ha ha! He should meet my Republican mom, who is constantly telling me I need to move out of Brooklyn to see what real people thing i.e. move home to the suburbs to hang out with the rest of us Republicans.

I was taught by both liberals and conservatives. I had one prof in particular who was a pretty outspoken conservative. He was an African-American who'd had a bunch of disputes with his colleagues on a Department of African Studies. He was against it. I didn't always agree with him, but he was a damn good teacher. And yes, in some of my other classes I think I scored mainly by being politically correct or whatever, because hell, I'm a liberal. It wasn't my fault, though, it was the professor's.

Back
Top Bottom