Living Life on a Task Reward System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
I had this really great article come across my desk today about people who live there life on a task reward system . That is having a feeling of entitlement . Like for example by working hard I will get a promotion, or by being nice to this person I will get ahead .. it kind of reminded of that discussion about if doing the right thing will get you to heaven . I think if we operate on a feeling of entitlement we are doing things for the wrong reasons, similar is my belief if a christian doing good deed just to get to heaven they are doing it for the wrong reason.. heaven is not an entitlementThe basic point to if I remember correctly is that if we do right things for the wrong reasons it will eventually catch up with us. I guess I think too there is nothing wrong with wanting to get ahead if our moral compass is pointed in the right direction. I've seen to many people trade in that compass and I wonder if it's worth it all at the end of the day when you look in the mirror.But anyways my question do you think the majority of us function on a task reward system or do you think most of us do things because it is simple the right thing to do

I suppose you can apply it to that.. but you can apply it to anything really..the motives of men?s hearts (1 Corinthians 4:5)

I think the best test of that is if you are doing things for the wrong reasons and times get tough you are more apt to qive up to stop .. but if you are doing things for the right reasons.. then no matter how tough it get or what people say about you .. you are more likely to continue.. I'll use our friend Bono here for all he does he takes the critics word on the chin and keeps going on.. I never doubted he does what he does for the right reasons that is he does it for others not himself.. He is not a humanitarian for what it will get him but rather for what it will get others.

Ayn Rand says we're all greedy bastards (not in those words), and, frankly, I tend to agree. BTW, it isn't just people who are guilty of "entitlement"; corporations are the epitome of entitlement. Just look at the entire Bush Administration? He coddles rich American multinational corporations, while looking smugly at the unemployed.

Melon

melon said:
Ayn Rand says we're all greedy bastards (not in those words), and, frankly, I tend to agree. BTW, it isn't just people who are guilty of "entitlement"; corporations are the epitome of entitlement. Just look at the entire Bush Administration? He coddles rich American multinational corporations, while looking smugly at the unemployed.

Melon

Ayn Rand is an amazing author, Fountainhead is one of my favorite books by far, but I've read a lot of her personal philosophies I think they are a little too egocentric. I agree that generally speaking most of humanity is too self centered. The difference between her and I is that she doesn't see it as a bad thing.

Ayn Rand is a great author, but ITA that her theories are a little out there. I have often found her writings to be paranoid in nature.

Back
Top Bottom