Live 8 officially announced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Bob Geldof is at it again. Trying to save the world through rock n roll.

"At a news conference, Geldof stated that the goal this time around will be to raise awareness of poverty in Third World countries, particularly in African nations, ahead of the annual G8 meeting in Britain attended by the leaders of the world's most powerful industrial nations, among them President George W. Bush.

"We don't want people's money. We want them," the Irish popster told a news conference Tuesday, adding that the July 6-8 G8 summit offered a "unique opportunity for Britain to do something unparalleled in the world...to tilt the world a little bit on its axis in favor of the poor." "

On July 2, 2005

* LONDON: Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Paul McCartney, Muse, Razorlight, REM, Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting , Joss Stone, Robbie Williams, U2, Velvet Revolver, Bob Geldof, the Killers, Madonna, The Cure
* BERLIN: A-ha, Bap, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Die Toten Hosen, Peter Maffay, Brian Wilson
* PHILADELPHIA: Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, Dave Mattews Band, Sarah McLachlan, Rob Thomas, Keith Urban, Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder, 50 Cent, Kaiser Chiefs, P. Diddy
* PARIS: Andrea Bocelli, Craig David, Calo Gero, Jamiroqaui, Kyo, Yannick Noah, Youssou N'Dour, Placebo, Axelle Red, Johnny Halliday, Manu Chao, Renaud
* ROME: Irene Grandi, Faith Hill, Jovanotti, Tim McGraw, Nek, Laura Pausini, Duran Duran, Vasco Rossi, Zucchero,

The organizers hope to have concerts in Canada, Russia and Japan, 3 G8 countries. I'm sure Canada will defiinitely have a show. We have many many musicians who are actively involved in relief efforts and awareness. Raine Maida, Chantal Kreviazuk, Matt Good, David Usher, just to name a few, would definitely donate their time to increase awareness and put public pressure on the government to do more.

There are SO many new bands missing - why not include them???
For example:
Interpol
The White Stripes
Arcade Fire
Porcupine Tree
Green Day ( I could care less but the kids love 'em so why not??)
The Tragically Hip
There are SO many others as well - I just don't get it - other than U2 and R.E.M. (and maybe Coldplay) the lineup just ain't that great. O.K. so there's the Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol and The Cure...but where's Neil Young??? Or Bob Dylan for that matter???

Last edited:
I'm sure there'll be more acts added, especially to Philly. What matters most to me though is being a part of this--this is a huge deal! I'd still go if they only had Raffi and Henry Rollins playing.

I have no chance of going to any show but I think the best seat in the house will be in your house or on the web as they throw the broadcast from venue to venue.

They will probably have 8 different concerts in all 8 G8 countries when all is said and done. You are right stars, this is a huge deal. This is what people of this generation will be talking about just like my generation remembers Live Aid.

i can't go simply for the reason that the london show happens the day i leave to go volunteer in Ghana
i suppose if you're gonna have a reason to miss Live 8, thats a good one!

hmm is there any other reason it is called live '8' other than its resemblance to live 'aid'? am i missing something here?:huh:

Yes....the emphasis here is that it isn't merely a "Live Aid 2" but instead a collective shout towards the G8 summit meeting that is going to be held on the 6th of July and can ultimatley half the world's extreme poverty. There is Live 8 and on top of that many people are going to flock to Edinburgh, where the G8 meetings will be held, to demonstrate that this is something we can and must do.

This event should be a good test for the internet's capabilities to handle extreme amounts of traffic as AOL is broadcasting the concert. There were reports that downloading of the Star Wars: ROTS were degrading the internet because of heavy traffic so I wonder what the effects of this concert will be.

It is remarkable how the concerts are free, no one is asking for donations or any money. This is so about raising awareness and a call to action to show the world's leaders that people want less talk and more action by our governments to help people living in extreme poverty.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
This event should be a good test for the internet's capabilities to handle extreme amounts of traffic as AOL is broadcasting the concert. There were reports that downloading of the Star Wars: ROTS were degrading the internet because of heavy traffic so I wonder what the effects of this concert will be.

It is remarkable how the concerts are free, no one is asking for donations or any money. This is so about raising awareness and a call to action to show the world's leaders that people want less talk and more action by our governments to help people living in extreme poverty.

not quite free (although close)
to get tickets Live8 will be issuing a multiple choice question, you then text/sms your answer in and the correct answers will be entered in a lottery draw from which ticket winners will be selected.
you can enter as many times as you like but each text/sms will cost you £1.50 (about £3)

with millions of people entering multiple times, the phone service alone will make a LOT of money.
with the grounds and artists performing for free, and i believe the grounds staff too, it would be nice to know what aspects of the concert they are going to use it for, i would presume construction etc but i dont really know

digsy said:

not quite free (although close)
to get tickets Live8 will be issuing a multiple choice question, you then text/sms your answer in and the correct answers will be entered in a lottery draw from which ticket winners will be selected.
you can enter as many times as you like but each text/sms will cost you £1.50 (about £3)

with millions of people entering multiple times, the phone service alone will make a LOT of money.
with the grounds and artists performing for free, and i believe the grounds staff too, it would be nice to know what aspects of the concert they are going to use it for, i would presume construction etc but i dont really know

I think this is quite clever! I'm assuming that money is for charity. Live Aid made about 100,000,000.

Back
Top Bottom