Literary/Reality Musings....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'd never thought that an Orwellian future of Big Brother and a Huxleyian future of complanecy could co-exist. But it seems like it does.

I don't know that I agree that the American people are complacent. There's some real fire and intensity in people these days about their feelings about what they want from our leaders. People have different ideas but it's tough for me to believe that they don't care.

People should remember the goal is soul...not money. I see almost everyone searching for fame, money, and image. Sadly, there's very little substance in anyone's life. :(

Complacancy? Like you said, many people are engaged in zealous issues. But once again they're misdirecting their energy and it's just causes weak-minded people to become less and less involved for fear of standing out against the "norm" (Religious Right, FCC, autocratic leaderships, corporation, media owners, etc)

You've got a point. In many cases it is indeed prestige, money, power, there's unbelievable crassness. I also think there is a "protest" starting against this, however. Some people are looking for meaning, but not attracting attention the way some people are looking for the Almighty Buck and trying to tell us that they are important for the wrong reasons.

Ok, complacency might be an inappropriate word.

I was thinking about how in the Brave New World, everybody doesn't question how the world runs and takes their soma... or something rather....

It's more an issue of desensitization through frustration. I think some are struggling with the fact that they have no control over the direction of their future, due to the menial effect that a personal revolution can have on electoral college (or any large scale public infrastructure). How do you influence mandate change (or social change in any capacity) when the system is set up to provide you with a predetermined binary choice? Neither true or false, just luke warm... temperate enough not to agitate, and quantified to a degree that results are vindicated through vague circumstance.

Why do the preceeding comments all have a political connotation? It seems that there is a parallel between the relative inactivity of society, and the attitude towards leadership... is it simply a government imposed self-inadequacy that creates an unconscious mass doubt? A doubt large in its presence requiring the security and validation of democratic process? In the end we're all chasing the tail of legitimacy, only to realize we're too tired to engage the rotary-action fabrication. No, it's much easier to let the machine run on automatic, and toil within the meaning of our own doubt and incompetency. Material just makes those things go away for awhile; an appeasing quality no matter how ephemeral the fix.

Last edited:
"No taxation without representation."

I wonder if we could reclaim that motto.

:|

Back
Top Bottom