Life MEANS Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
Home Secretary David Blunkett has announced plans to introduce tougher sentences for murder. It will mean that in more cases, a life sentence will mean that the killer really does spend the rest of his or her life behind bars.

But the proposal is causing controversy in legal circles, with many judges said to be unhappy about what they see as political interference in the sentencing process.

BBC News Online correspondent Peter Gould considers how the new system of minimum sentences will operate

Finally, someone who is, I believe, confronting the issues head on.
I have never believed the point of having the sentence of life if it doesn't mean life, at all - notwithstanding eligibility for parole.
I hope the do-gooders of the Judiciary and the Legislature don't miss this opportunity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3007799.stm

Ant.

Last edited:
For the most part I agree with these proposals. I do have some concerns that it's a politically motivated decision (even though I'm a member of the Labour party, lol) and some doubts about whether the government are the best people to make decisons about justice, but overall I think the proposals are welcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom