Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Doesn't revenge just perpetuate a cycle? What about being the better person and walking away? Or is this not manly enough in today's society?

Yeah, I have issues with that in regards to society.
I think too much emphasis is put on revenge, and glorfiying violence, but I don't need to preach about that.

But I am one of those people who thinks that if you can turn around and walk in the other direction instead of fighting someone- I think that's a decent thing. It's great if you can actually calm someone down and start talking about things, and resolve it diplomaticly.

Sometimes, though, I understand that you don't have a choice sometimes- sometimes it's pure self defense. I'm glad I've been throuhg and still am in martial arts- since I started school aat age 5, so this will be 12 years. I'm also glad that I've never been in a true fight, I've never had to use it completlely.

Hmm.... but I wonder if it is a flase comfort knowing that I can handle myself?
I wonder if it's (theoretically) like the idea that you would be safe since you own a gun, and so does everyone else-

MAd- mutually assured destruction

...hmmm....

I am not talking about going around to pick fights or to plot petty revenge just saying that when somebody hurts you dont turn around and start blaming yourself, take the initiative and get over it or do something.

A_Wanderer said:
I am not talking about going around to pick fights or to plot petty revenge just saying that when somebody hurts you dont turn around and start blaming yourself, take the initiative and get over it or do something.
I agree with the don't blame yourself and taking intiative to get over it, but hurting them back doesn't solve anything.

(I swear, something is wrong. I've written about 3 replies to this thread, but non of them have shown up.... my cpu keeps messing up everytime I try to post something ......)

Yeah, abuse is hard to get over.
So is learning to live normally after you've been deprived of some things for a long time.

(it sucks because I had a great and magnifiecnt post (or two) thatI 've written, and I can't think of anything right now.... :eyebrow: :wink: which is probably better for y'all, heh.)

But life is definiteley something Iii'm intersted in, so I'll write more later, I promise

:eeklaugh: ;) :blahblah:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
We are born and we'll die. The only two absolutes in this world. Everything in between is up to us. Who believes this and who doesn't, and why?

That is what I believe and my philosophy, which I wish everyone could follow, is to understand that you do have pleasures and you have pains, and you must do whatever you can in your life to immerse yourself in pleasure and avoid the agony of pain.

If you don't do this life can become unhappy and really seem pointless.

Life isn't pointless. Indeed it is ultimately futile, and if ever you are having difficulties in pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain, than you are best advised to seek help from friends, family and as a last resort, counsellors.

The meaning of life is to live.

i was mugged recently in London on a friday night walking back home in a rather questionable area of London. 3 kids on mountain bikes surrounded me. I should have fought back but the more you challenge these people, the greater the risk that they will pull out a knife or something.

they took my phone and 15 quid, with my switch card. Immediatley i ran to a phone box and called the police. they didn't get my savings, thank god.

On top of that I live at home with my mum and brother, who has a mental illness meaning he is incapable to work. He was recently suspended from his job because he accidentally took home some money when at work.( He works in a supermarket ).

It gets frustrating at times, he doesn't want to listen to suggestions to make his life easier. the thing with this type of illness is that he has to take medication for the rest of his life but he is unable to function in the real world properly, because if he doesn't take his medication, he will relapse, as what happened recently.

I feel for him , I really do, why should he go through this ? he has never harmed anyone in his life and he deserve a normal life. Hes not stupid, he went to university but he can't cope with day to day living.

So yeah Life can be a bitch at times.

Better to be living your life than lying in a morgue with multiple stab wounds, thats actually a pretty good motto :wink:.

originally posted by intedomine
That is what I believe and my philosophy, which I wish everyone could follow, is to understand that you do have pleasures and you have pains, and you must do whatever you can in your life to immerse yourself in pleasure and avoid the agony of pain.

If you don't do this life can become unhappy and really seem pointless.

Life isn't pointless. Indeed it is ultimately futile, and if ever you are having difficulties in pursuing pleasure and avoiding pain, than you are best advised to seek help from friends, family and as a last resort, counsellors.

The meaning of life is to live.

The belief that pain should be avoided is not realistic. Life is full of pain, despair, disappointments and all other pitfalls. You can't avoid them, and to try to live a life of joy and pleasure and so on, I think, is like living in a fantasy world.
And yes, life can be pointless. To think otherwise is also wishful thinking. You might as well get used to it, because that's the way it goes.

Last edited:
I find I am the truest when I don't care.

I care too much about everything, and that is my vice.

Sometimes, though, when you don't care, and you just do what you want to do, that's the best way.

You have to be aware of things, which I unfortunately will say I am, but there is a great deal to learn from

not caring.

Just like now, you can completely not care about anything I've written in this post. Your call

Pearl said:

The belief that pain should be avoided is not realistic. Life is full of pain, despair, disappointments and all other pitfalls. You can't avoid them, and to try to live a life of joy and pleasure and so on, I think, is like living in a fantasy world.
And yes, life can be pointless. To think otherwise is also wishful thinking. You might as well get used to it, because that's the way it goes.

Indeed, everyone experiences pain and it is impossible to avoid some kinds of pain, yet sometimes physical and mental pain can be avoided. They are positions you don't want to be in, and it becomes a meaning of one's life to get away from it, even if it is impossible.

The fantasy world without pain does not exist for anyone, but you can take action to lessen the pain you can experience, and that gives one's life purpose and meaning (albiet sometimes minor).

The ultimate goal is to feel really good and to not feel really bad, as a result we gain happiness.

Life is all about ings. Shitting, screwing, partying, drinking, loving, crying, sleeping, eating, working, driving, dying, etc. Just find an ing you like and do it a lot, live will be more bearable.;)

trevster2k said:
Life is all about ings. Shitting, screwing, partying, drinking, loving, crying, sleeping, eating, working, driving, dying, etc. Just find an ing you like and do it a lot, live will be more bearable.;)

What a great philosophy! :)

trevster2k said:

Fighting, lying, cheating, stealing, hurting, abusing, oppressing, killing.....doing what you like a lot will make life more bearable?:eyebrow:

Sometimes the most important thing is finding out who you are. I think I'm almost there, but I can't put anything into action- I am forced to be a man of words and not of action.

So it's dreadful.

But you've got to know things about yourself, know your strengths and your weaknesses, and build from there.

Like in the DVD U2 go home, in the unforgetable fire documentary- a producer or somebody says how U2 builds from strength and their limitations, and their honesty let's them be who they really are as musicians.

So be honest, and learn who you are.

NotAnEasyThing said:

Fighting, lying, cheating, stealing, hurting, abusing, oppressing, killing.....doing what you like a lot will make life more bearable?:eyebrow:

You're not trying to emulate George Bush now are you? :)

The ing philosophy was tongue in cheek and of course did not include the bad ings. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom