Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

Sigh...

Irrespective of reality (Stern ran for political office once as a Libertarian, probably as a joke), Stern is perceived by the public and his detractors as "liberal." But he's a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news. I would argue that, at the other end of the political spectrum, Coulter is the same--a fanatic, whose rants are more "entertainment" than news, although I think she certainly takes herself more seriously than Stern does.

Melon

Yea Stern is an entertainer his political views shouldn't be taken seriously.

nbcrusader said:
The illustration was done to distinguish "wackos" like Ann Coulter from "intelligent" liberal ranters like Michael Moore.

If you're implying that I think Moore is an "intelligent liberal ranter," you're mistaken.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
The illustration was done to distinguish "wackos" like Ann Coulter from "intelligent" liberal ranters like Michael Moore.

Exactly, lol.

I was quoting her conservative buddies, like George Will and others that think she's loco.

Nbc, I have many conservative friends and don't base much of anything on people's political view.

Bunbury said:

Yea Stern is an entertainer his political views shouldn't be taken seriously.

martin_sheen.jpg
penn-sean.jpg
lennon.jpg

schwarzenegger.jpg
reagan.jpg
bono.jpg

tell it to them... you can't make a blanket statement such as that. while i too agree that stern isn't exactly the first person i'd look to when it comes to politics, his being an entertainer has nothing to do with the validity of his political views.

Last edited:
I wanted Amazon's Super-Saver Shipping deal when I ordered the U2 2004 calendar, so after about an hour of surfing that site I decided to order the Al Franken book.

Actually, I should have ordered Molly Ivins' new book instead. I looked at it a bit at the library and it looked well worth reading.

although i think al franken is a boob, no one looked like more of a boob than rupert murdoch for suing over the use of the phrase "fair and balanced." they're both boobs... i can't take people like franken and moore who want to be taken serious when they're right, but hide behind "oh well i'm just a comedian/entertainer" when proven wrong/inaccurate or whatever. can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

ThatGuy said:

I'd like to see that, too. Maybe Bill can use some of that gritty, working-class gumption he got from growing up poor in Leavittown. :wink:

that would be levittown, the first "true" suburb... and working-class blue color is one thing... poor is another. levittown certainly is a working-class community, but i wouldn't exactly call it poor. and that's pretty much what bill always says... that he came from a working class family, which is probably true. he also went to chaminade high school, a private all boys school in mineola, long island. not the kind of place you find too many "poor" people, unless they're amazing athletes on scholarship... so working class? yeah... poor? not likely.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

martin_sheen.jpg
penn-sean.jpg
lennon.jpg

schwarzenegger.jpg
reagan.jpg
bono.jpg

tell it to them... you can't make a blanket statement such as that. while i too agree that stern isn't exactly the first person i'd look to when it comes to politics, his being an entertainer has nothing to do with the validity of his political views.

Sean Penn is a great actor but I could care about his political views :lol:

i can't take people like franken and moore who want to be taken serious when they're right, but hide behind "oh well i'm just a comedian/entertainer" when proven wrong/inaccurate or whatever. can't have it both ways.

Well, then you'd better throw in people like Rush Limbaugh and much of conservative talk radio (and their televised outgrowth with FOX News), because that's the excuse they use--"entertainment."

Melon

yes that was the point... what you do for a living has nothing to do with your political ideas taken seriously or not... it's what you know. plenty of actors, athletes, musicians, etc. know quite a bit about politics (and some think they do just because they play the president on tv).

and i most certainly would include rush limbaugh in that category... he does use the same excuse of "entertainment." so does imus... "mr. imus uses characters," as pig vommit from Private Parts would say... (funny... i don't find stern funny at all, but i found his movie to be hilarious :shrug: go figure). and on a side note for rush... who's bright idea was it to let him be a football analyst for ESPN?

Yeah no doubt and they had some stupid thing where he was alowed to interupted if he hit some button. It had to be the dumbest segment. The man knows nothing about football and he just argues with everyone about nothing!

Re: Re: Re: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

that would be levittown, the first "true" suburb... and working-class blue color is one thing... poor is another. levittown certainly is a working-class community, but i wouldn't exactly call it poor. and that's pretty much what bill always says... that he came from a working class family, which is probably true. he also went to chaminade high school, a private all boys school in mineola, long island. not the kind of place you find too many "poor" people, unless they're amazing athletes on scholarship... so working class? yeah... poor? not likely.

But he didn't actually grow up in Levittown. According to his mom, the O'Reilly family lived in Westbury, a few miles from Levittown. Certainly not as working class as Levittown. When pressed, Bill claimed that he was from "the Westbury section of Levittown." It's even in his bio at foxnews.com. Wouldn't that be like saying you're from the Bronx, the Manhattan section of the Bronx?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them

ThatGuy said:

But he didn't actually grow up in Levittown. According to his mom, the O'Reilly family lived in Westbury, a few miles from Levittown. Certainly not as working class as Levittown. When pressed, Bill claimed that he was from "the Westbury section of Levittown." It's even in his bio at foxnews.com. Wouldn't that be like saying you're from the Bronx, the Manhattan section of the Bronx?

why does this even matter?

but to answer...

i have a friend who lives in westbury. i have a friend who lives in levittown. the person who lives in levittown has the bigger house. who friggin cares? long island as a whole is a middle class, working class area, spotted with upper-middle class and rich neighborhoods, especially towards the north shore.

i don't know what street o'reilly actually grew up on. i don't really care either. westbury borders levittown, hicksville, carle place, hempstead, east meadow, blah blah blah. all of those towns are pretty much the same demographicly. if you drive down hempstead turnpike or rt. 106, you couldn't tell when one town ended and the next began. the old westbury part of westbury is decidedly more upper class. but again... why does this matter? maybe he was in the levittown school district, so he considers himself from levittown (even though he went to private school for high school). if this is an issue for you, you deffinetly need other issues.

Well I'm not losing sleep over it, or anything. I just think it's odd that he lied about it.

it's not quite a lie, not quite the truth. town borders on long island are so blurred that it doesn't really matter. people with addresses in one town consider themselves parts of another town because of where the school district lines fall, etc. etc. etc. craig biggio of the houston astros says he's from smithtown, ny, even though he was born and raised in kings park, ny, a bordering town, but also part of the township of smithtown. it's a confusing place to be sometimes

I suppose. But is there a "Westbury section of Levittown?" That part didn't make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom