Libya agrees to end WMD weapons programs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
In another huge win for the Bush administration, Libya has agreed to open its doors to international weapons inspectors in an effort to end its weapons programs and re-establish diplomatic ties with the rest of the world.

A question-Would this have happened if Dean were in office?

An answer-Hell no!

it's amazing that whenever the bush administration does something questionable it is immediately posted and gets many responses, no matter how silly or insignificant it is (turkeygate anybody?), yet a truly great achievement like this, which will only help make the world a safer place, goes largely ignored.

Last edited:
Some interesting opinions from an article in theGuardian about the claim that this is brought to you by the Bush administration.

The former defence minister, Peter Kilfoyle, told the BBC: "We were told we had to go to war because of WMD [weapons of mass destruction] and there were none.

"It seems a very odd situation that one country with WMD can be negotiated with but with another country which doesn't appear to have them it was necessary to go to war. It just doesn't ring true to me."

...But Joseph Cirincione, the director of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace's nonproliferation project, said: "The president is trying hard to portray this as a victory for his strategy. But when you look at this, it's almost the opposite of the Bush doctrine."

In any case, it was Gadaffi himself who initiated the talks with Blair over nine months ago.

nbcrusader said:
Take a look at the political compass for some perspective....
I am in the centre of the centre
and I agree with the TeethDoctor that I don't really see how this is a victory for Bush

DrTeeth,

"In any case, it was Gadaffi himself who initiated the talks with Blair over nine months ago."

hmmm....... and look what was happening 9 months ago!

Salome,

"I am in the centre of the centre
and I agree with the TeethDoctor that I don't really see how this is a victory for Bush"

Have you ever seen anything as a Bush Victory?

I supported the war on Iraq
I posted back then that I was very disappointed in the way Europe handled that one
and I supported Bush in his decision to go ahead anyway

I don't think that Bush has really done all that much to help the US economy, because - like I posted - I don't think politics have the kind of influence over the economy they like to think they have
come to think of it, the best thing politicians can do to help the economy IMO is to make ensure stability in the society
and I don't really think he managed to do that

so maybe I did think he's had a few victories
and maybe I think that some of the stuff he has been given credit for on this forum is nonsense

but anyways
even if I was an angry Bush hater
that still doesn't mean that me not seeing this as a victory for him in some way does make it a victory for Bush

so I just wasted a whole lot of time on something that doesn't help the discussion in this thread one bit
damn

Chizip said:
it's amazing that whenever the bush administration does something questionable it is immediately posted and gets many responses, no matter how silly or insignificant it is (turkeygate anybody?), yet a truly great achievement like this, which will only help make the world a safer place, goes largely ignored.

You're right, but it goes both ways in here. You post a thread like turkeygate and it turns into a ten plus page thread, people ragging on him and people jumping to his defense. But then a thread gets posted on how Bush isn't granting fair compensation for former POWs and no one even posts, or you post something about his environmental travesties and no one even posts.

We're all guilty of ignoring the threads that don't go along with our leanings.

The reason I ignored this thread was not the subject matter, but the arrogance in which it was posted. Dean or any other canidate has nothing to do with this thread and for some reason it's brought in to point out that "my party's better than yours". It just gets old.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Dean or any other canidate has nothing to do with this thread and for some reason it's brought in to point out that "my party's better than yours". It just gets old.

:up:

I don't see this as a "Bush victory" If anything, it should be looked at as a victory for the entire planet, because there will be one less country with WMD's in its possession.

Bono's American Wife said:

I don't see this as a "Bush victory" If anything, it should be looked at as a victory for the entire planet, because there will be one less country with WMD's in its possession.

I agree. This is good for the U.S, good for Libya, good for everyone. Libya said it did this because they are trying to improve economic conditions for their citizens, certainly a wise decision on the part of their leadership. So, I think the biggest victory is for the Libyan people, and I'm really pleased for them.

Last edited:
Hm.........a Bush victory would be something that helped specifically at the polling booth. This certainly does not hurt him, but I feel like I, a liberal, am benefitting from this as well. I don't have to deal with the issue of a strike on Libya. No stress, no worries, just relief for myself, my country, and the people of Libya as well. If you would like to think of this as a victory for Bush, so be it. I don't care. I'm just happy for the Libyan and the American people. This is good for us all.

verte76 said:
Hm.........a Bush victory would be something that helped specifically at the polling booth. This certainly does not hurt him, but I feel like I, a liberal, am benefitting from this as well. I don't have to deal with the issue of a strike on Libya. No stress, no worries, just relief for myself, my country, and the people of Libya as well. If you would like to think of this as a victory for Bush, so be it. I don't care. I'm just happy for the Libyan and the American people. This is good for us all.

Well said.

I was never really in favor of invading Iraq at that time I thought we should have waited longer. Also I always thought invasion was inevitable regardless of who was President.
I think the Lybian surrender (in a way Lybia just gave up defying the world community) was a combination of things Khadafi has become less radical throughout the years and actually wants to help, also realized that the U.S. would lift the embargo against them. Also the invasion of Iraq scared the crap out of Lybia maybe believing they were next on the list.
So bottom line play ball and we won't bug you, instead we will help you.

verte76 said:

I have been silent over this for a while....

Having been following the theories surrounding the invasion of Iraq....one of the KEY NEOCON principles was that we needed to show the Middle Eastern dictators that the US meant business over WMD.

Now, we now Saddam probably did not have existing weapons, however, the United Nations sent a very important message to other nations in the region. Something would be done over the WMD.

Now without getting into the debate over if Mr. Bush should get the credit or not, which I think is irrelevant we are too close to the historical event to do so at this time let the historians sort it out, the fact is, IRAN and LYBIA are both making moves towards the UN over this issue it is good for the world. The COALITION did its job.

Thank goodness there were nations that worked together to make this happen. The domino effect is working.....and like it or not, the Bush administration started the domino moving, but it took the world to help.

That said...there are other parts the Neocons have not been correct about...this though, has so far, been nice.....

Last edited:
"WASHINGTON (AP) -- ...the U.S. government confirmed the interception of an illegal shipment of thousands of parts of uranium-enrichment equipment bound for Libya.

The seizure in early October sealed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's decision to dismantle his nuclear weapons program, a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity."

This is proof that Bush's plan in the middle east is working. Would Gadhafi have agreed to dismantle his nuke plans if Bush didn't just overthrow Saddam? No way! He did for one reason and one reason only, he didn't want to end up in a spider hole like his pal in Iraq. He knew the US had the goods on him and would take action, MILITARY ACTION.

This is the kind of leadership we need now. This is the kind of leadership the world needs now. I'm sorry, but you can't make nice with these Arab dictators. You don't negoitate, you call them out and force them to come clean and Bush does just that. Now Lybia and Iraq will be less of the threat to the whole world.

Good job President Bush.

Haha!!! I found this in a little blurb in my paper as well this morning....Why isn't this making national headlines?

[Q]Libyan nuclear cargo was loaded in Dubai

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BERLIN - Uranium enrichment components found on a German ship headed for Libya but seized in a US-led operation had been loaded in Dubai for an Asian company, Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung daily reported Friday.
Seizure of the cargo sparked speculation that it sealed Tripoli's surprise decision last month to publicly renounce weapons of mass destruction. US officials, while confirming a freighter was diverted after intelligence reports that it was shipping centrifuge parts, have so far refused to specify the equipment's country of origin or the Gulf port where it was loaded.

However, the Sueddeutsche daily identified the port as Dubai and also said British businessmen were involved. It did not name its sources. The unidentified Asian company declared a false cargo, it added.

Neither the crew nor the shippers - the Germany-based firm, BBC Chartering and Logistic GmbH - knew that the real cargo was components for a centrifuge capable of enriching uranium.

They have been cooperating well with authorities, the paper added, quoting German government sources.

The seizure was made in October, US authorities announced Wednesday, after the ship was diverted to an Italian port for searching. US State Department spokesman Adam Ereli did not want to comment on whether it had been the key impetus in convincing Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi to give up weapons of mass destruction.

He noted that it occurred months after Kadhafi initiated secret talks with the United States and Britain on giving up such arms. But he also pointed out that, after the seizure, Libya agreed to let US and British experts inspect its weapons facilities.

[/Q]

http://www.bday.co.za/bday/content/direct/1,3523,1514500-6078-0,00.html

Back
Top Bottom