Librarian stands up to FBI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She explains that in June, an FBI agent stopped into one of the district's branches and requested a list of people who had borrowed a biography of Osama bin Laden.

that seems odd to me. i work for one of the largest library districts in the country, and not a single one of our branches keep any records within the branch. maybe it's different in other districts.

other than that, i'm not going to comment on this subject because i happen to have an opposite, and much more unpopular, opinion than most people.

I tend to think that terrorists don't need to check out a library biography of Osama bin Laden.

Melon

melon said:
I tend to think that terrorists don't need to check out a library biography of Osama bin Laden.

Melon

That made me laugh!

Very true though.

Exactly melon. Nor do they need their library card to get on a plane, after all they can obtain fake ID's and airline ID to do that :|

That whole library issue is so scary, after all what will come next?

Library use can be a very important elemet at certain stages, although quite moot as almost every book known to man can be found at amazon.com.

If I want to get books detailing the electrical and chemical procedures to make a bomb all I need is an internet connection. And eavesdropping those signals could be done without as much profile as following up a message in a book.

This also happened to a family member of a friend. He was a conservative Republican who voted for Bush but when he refused to turn over a list his library was shut down, his eyes were opened about the Patriot Act, and he says he will never vote Republican again. At least something good came out of it. :D

Thanks for the gufaw, Melon. :wink:

You all remember when Ashcroft tried to have the libraries destory some copies of public records and the ALA fought him and won?

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom