Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
The Rapture Takes Manhattan
New Evangelical video game meticulously re-creates the city so you can destroy it in a battle against the forces of darkness.
By Michelle Goldberg

Millions of American Evangelicals believe that, any day now, the world will be engulfed in a series of horrific wars and natural disasters during which time a charismatic Antichrist will arise to try to establish worldwide hegemony. This will lead to the biggest war of all, to be fought in Israel, after which Jesus will return. But not to worry: Before things get really bad, “true” Christians will be gathered up to Heaven, leaving piles of clothes crumpled where they stood.

The aftermath of this mysterious and untidy abandonment of clothing is the starting point for Left Behind, the massively popular series of end-time-themed thrillers that have sold over 60 million copies. Just in time for the Christmas season, the series is now also a computer game, called Left Behind: Eternal Forces, out next month. Strangely, although very little of the action in the books takes place in New York, the game is set here, offering a lovingly detailed rendering of Manhattan as battleground in a holy war. “I’m hopeful, from a popularity point of view, it becomes as popular as Christian rock,” says Troy Lyndon, CEO and co-founder of Left Behind Games. Players of the video game control a religious militia battling U.N.-style “Global Community Peacekeepers.” To triumph in Eternal Forces, players need to make converts, so in addition to snipers, tanks, and infantrymen, the Tribulation Force includes Evangelists and worship leaders. (The Global Community, meanwhile, has “rock stars” and “cult leaders” to pull souls into darkness.)

The novels’ Antichrist is one Nicolae Carpathia, who’s the secretary-general of the United Nations when the Rapture comes (and, incidentally, is the bioengineered son of two gay men). Soon enough, he becomes Global Community Supreme Potentate, masking his diabolical intentions with promises of peace and disarmament. The heroes of the series—including a born-again rabbi—battle Carpathia’s attempts to impose an abortion-promoting one-world government. Much hinges on the conversion of the Jews, who must repent their “specific national sin” of “rejecting the messiahship of Jesus,” or spend eternity in hell.

As it happens, before they were Evangelical entrepreneurs, the people behind the game were New York Jews. Lyndon, 41, whose secular-gaming résumé includes helping design Madden Football, was born to a Jewish mother on the Upper West Side. While she raised him as a Catholic, he identifies as a Jew—albeit one who believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God (he also describes evolution as a “hoax”). Jeffrey Frichner, 48, the company’s president and co-founder, is from Rego Park and went to Hebrew school at Forest Hills Jewish Center; he found Jesus while serving in the Marines in the eighties. Senior vice-president David Klein, 49, one of the original employees at gaming powerhouse Electronic Arts, was born in Israel and raised in Canarsie. He’s now a Christian, though he says, “I haven’t converted. I’ve completed.”

There are hundreds of ordinary New Yorkers in the game, and you can click on any of them to read a short bio detailing their life and faith. In the course of play, they all have to take sides. As the game’s Website says, “their choice is to either join the AntiChrist—which is an imposturous one world government seeking peace for all of mankind, or they may join the Tribulation Force—which seeks to expose the truth and defend themselves against the forces of the AntiChrist.” Gamers can themselves join the forces of darkness. When I played the evil side while visiting Left Behind Games’ bland, office-park headquarters outside of San Diego recently, I started with two soldiers in my Satanic army, one of them a Muslim named Amir Mohammed Salem.

The game itself is set in the streets of Soho, Chinatown, and midtown. There’s a Payless, a Lucille Roberts, even a digitized version of the somewhat well-known Israeli restaurant Hoomoos Asli on Kenmare Street. The CBS building in midtown is recognizable, and in ruins.

In its investors’ press materials, Left Behind Games points to the success of Christian product like The Passion of the Christ. There is a built-in market—polls say about 40 percent of Americans believe in some form of biblical Armageddon—and a built-in distribution system. Until a few months ago, Mark Carver, the executive director of Rick Warren’s Purpose Driven Church, sat on Left Behind Games’ advisory board, and Lyndon intends to market Eternal Forces using the same megachurch-based networks that have made Warren a publishing phenomenon. His plans include sending a million demo discs to churches throughout the country.

If Eternal Forces does well, Lyndon plans to develop another game set in an end-time Israel where Jerusalem’s ancient temple is rebuilt. Currently, that plot of land is occupied by the Dome of the Rock, which is the third-holiest site in Islam, so any demolition would likely spark a big war. “Imagine how exciting it will be, in this day and age, to be able to bring to life, in 3-D, the new temple!” exclaims Lyndon. On the other hand, if it were to happen in real life, he’d be plucked out of the mayhem, leaving only a pile of clothes in front of his PC.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/22335/

Yay let's train our kids to kill based on their faith!! :happy:

God help us all. I see this as worse than the Grand Theft Auto type games because this encourages violence based on religion...far more powerful then some scenario where you go around picking up prostitutes.

I find this game hilarious, but have to say that I sincerely don't think, and there is also no evidence or something, that computer games make anyone violent or killing other people in reality.
Otherwise I would have to be afraid of myself.

This game looks pretty much of propaganda, but I wouldn't fear any Evangelicals because of that game.

:sick:

I've read about this....everything about it is just WRONG. The antichrist a son of two gay men, pro abortion, friends with muslims (or "terrorists" as they're now known) jews needing to convert...its just fucking wrong.

Could you imagine the FURORE if an islamic game came out with an islamic army invade the usa and trying to convert christians to the "way and the light" or chopping their heads off if they didn't agree.

(btw i liked GTA! :reject:)

If it's anything like the books they probably can't even get the geography of Manhattan right. Drive for four hours and you're still on the island.

A minor quibble, of course. Basically it sounds horrible. But the first sentence of that story should answer the age old question: why the weird nexus between fundies and Israel? It surely isn't because they rooly trooly want Israel to do well.

This game is considered a big joke on another site I visit, arstechnica.com.

Funny enough, the game also has spyware embedded in it:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060623-7122.html

Now, as if the game itself was not controversial enough, it has been discovered that the publishers, Left Behind Games (a publicly traded company, even) have added money-changers to their particular temple. The game comes fully loaded with what some would term built-in spyware, in the form of in-game advertising that tracks the amount of time ads are seen, how often the game is played, and the player's geographical and personal information. It then sends this data back to the advertiser's servers. From the horse's mouth:

"All Double Fusion campaigns provide detailed campaign reporting for full accountability, and, unlike other media, advertisers only pay for the time their ads are seen...unlike TV, unlike the web, and unlike print. No medium is more accountable and measurable in terms of the actual time spent with advertising."

"Double Fusion's In-Game Ad Engine is a software component that gamer developers insert in their games. The Ad Engine is the seamless interface between the game and the advertiser servers, and works as a broker between the two, calling advertising creative elements as needed, providing them to the game to be displayed as ads in the game, and tracking impressions and views and reporting back to the advertising management servers."

As I said before in the "Concerned Women for America" thread, the founder of the organization, Beverly LaHaye, is the wife of the author of the "Left Behind" series, Tim LaHaye.

"Religious nuts, political fanatics." :coocoo:

I for one think it's great, without piss poor games like this publisher might ask "why don't we try a faith based game".

Oh great. Heaven's gonna be populated by a bunch of naked fundies? Doesn't sound all that heavenly to me...are they sure they aren't in the other place? :wink:

U2democrat said:

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/22335/

Yay let's train our kids to kill based on their faith!! :happy:

God help us all. I see this as worse than the Grand Theft Auto type games because this encourages violence based on religion...far more powerful then some scenario where you go around picking up prostitutes.

I think this game is about as stupid as the source material it's based on (which fails both as theology and as art), and I think this game is yet another misguided attempt to capitalize on the $$$ from the "Christian audience." However, to say that this game is worse than one which exalts thug violence, prostitution and drug running as an end unto itself (trading on the worst possible racist and sexist stereotypes), is itself obscene. Why not tar them all with the same brush?

Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

nathan1977 said:

However, to say that this game is worse than one which exalts thug violence, prostitution and drug running as an end unto itself (trading on the worst possible racist and sexist stereotypes), is itself obscene. Why not tar them all with the same brush?

One is claiming moral superiority. :|

Re: Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
One is claiming moral superiority. :|

I believe this to be the distinction, as well. For groups like FOTF to decry violent video games--and then endorse one that is as patently offensive as this--is hypocrisy.

U2democrat said:

I see this as worse than the Grand Theft Auto type games because this encourages violence based on religion...far more powerful then some scenario where you go around picking up prostitutes.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not really interested in what the windbag fundie groups of america think about this, but why you wrote that this is more powerful than seeking prostitutes to kill them? If you remove all bias, the essence is the same on both games. It's our personal moral scale which declares one worse than the other - something I reckon is more than a little off.

Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

Angela Harlem said:

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not really interested in what the windbag fundie groups of america think about this, but why you wrote that this is more powerful than seeking prostitutes to kill them? If you remove all bias, the essence is the same on both games. It's our personal moral scale which declares one worse than the other - something I reckon is more than a little off.

Are you saying there is something wrong with picking up a prostitute?:huh:

dazzlingamy said:
:sick:

I've read about this....everything about it is just WRONG. The antichrist a son of two gay men, pro abortion, friends with muslims (or "terrorists" as they're now known) jews needing to convert...its just ****** wrong.

Could you imagine the FURORE if an islamic game came out with an islamic army invade the usa and trying to convert christians to the "way and the light" or chopping their heads off if they didn't agree.

(btw i liked GTA! :reject:)

why yes, the FUROR!!

excuse me while i find 100 or so videos of Christian fundamentalists lopping off heads of innocent people in..wait for it..REAL LIFE! :huh:

while i agree that this video game is definitely just trying to push Christianity into the mainstream, it is the wrong way to go about it for sure

but seriously, they aren't claiming moral superiority, the makers are simply embracing things that are apparently normal, as you all think (i.e. killing innocent people, or in GTA's case, prostitutes)...like they are taking what a majority of people seem to love about mainstream culture and tailor it to Christianity and what is said in Revelation (with some poetic license)

so it's only wrong if Christians do it? that is pretty much the summary of this thread...not a lot of squawking about secular Americans making games about graphic sex and violence..wonder why that is?

Re: Re: Re: Left Behind the computer game...Christians are to kill based on faith.

Dreadsox said:

Are you saying there is something wrong with picking up a prostitute?:huh:

I might be mistaken here, using the services of a prostitute, yes, I think is 'wrong', but that was not my point above.
I was under the impression that prostitutes were killed in GTA, and that people are sought for conversion in this game. In terms of a fully simulated game environment, the purpose of killing characters I find more significant. Religion is really neither here nor there. Call me a bit thick, but I dont get what the general concensus is in here; is it an opposition to the supporters of the new game being fundie windbags, while they condemn others like GTA?

Really, if we are going to be fair, are they not both as insipid as the other? Prostitution is an industry which thrives and promotes the exploitation of women. Religion shapes and attempts to control absolutely everyone. I hardly think one outstrips the other in terms of disgust generation.

Offering sexual services in exchange for money is a transaction, if thats exploitation then so is every other payed service.

Oh heaven forfend, I am obviously defending sex slavery here and the abusive conditions that florish when criminals are running the show.

Prostitution is going to happen whether you like it or not, there is universal demand for sex - given that, making it illegal only dimishes the rights of sex workers by creating a black market.

A junkie whore is a different situation than a high price call girl, I don't think that the second example is by definition exploitative.

A_Wanderer said:
Offering sexual services in exchange for money is a transaction, if thats exploitation then so is every other payed service.

If the woman, being of sound mind, offered you her body for money out of her deepest volitional will, then no it would not be exploitation; however, as it is men who own the women (who do not sell their bodies out of their deepest volitional wills) it is all about exploitation.
Of course, it's rather easy to say prostitution isn't exploitation sitting in a nice cozy home.
Seriously, don't ever offer such ignorant dribble. It's vile.

There are few things worse than slavery, do not make the mistake of confusing the support for the first instance with that of the second. Waging a moral crusade against prostituion in the same way that it is waged against drugs with tax money is wrong.

Ensuring that exhanges are voluntary is the critical point; in the absence of that it is criminal and abhorent but if it is then then I fail to see anything wrong with it. If prostitution is illegal then there is absolutely no recourse to stop abuse, view it as a situation of harm minimisation.

Last edited:
The best way to deal with prostitution is to create and develop an environment in which people are sexually healthy...the religious nuts and their philosophies create an atmosphere for prostitution to flourish. If we weren't so fuckin' repressed....we could all fuck better:wink:

Moral crusaders certainly vote on the issues like sex, drugs and violent video games.

We should be able to distinguish between survival sex and legal prostitution.

Last edited:
nightninja56 said:

why yes, the FUROR!!

excuse me while i find 100 or so videos of Christian fundamentalists lopping off heads of innocent people in..wait for it..REAL LIFE! :huh:

while i agree that this video game is definitely just trying to push Christianity into the mainstream, it is the wrong way to go about it for sure

but seriously, they aren't claiming moral superiority, the makers are simply embracing things that are apparently normal, as you all think (i.e. killing innocent people, or in GTA's case, prostitutes)...like they are taking what a majority of people seem to love about mainstream culture and tailor it to Christianity and what is said in Revelation (with some poetic license)

so it's only wrong if Christians do it? that is pretty much the summary of this thread...not a lot of squawking about secular Americans making games about graphic sex and violence..wonder why that is?

thanks for censoring my words, its very cute of you :cute:

Why I DONT LIKE about this, is that GTA is a fictional GAME, its like a MOVIE, people don't play it and then go out and kill prostitutes. It may not be the nicest game, but we all know its a game and its based on FICTIONAL stereotypes in society.

This game is based on REAL christian teachings. But my main point is that it is filled with hatred, arrogance and violance, three things i thought a religion is AGAINST. This video game is yes a fictional world, but plays with REAL people (muslims etc) and continues the hartred against types (gay, muslim, jews etc) that is not a FICTIONAL story, but REAL TEACHINGS.

I just think its a pretty fucked up premise for a religion to accept something like this...tolerance and love for thy brother certainly means nothing to fundies!

Back
Top Bottom