LDS-Mormon President, Gordon B Hinckley passes away..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
CNN) -- Mormon leader Gordon B. Hinckley died Sunday night at age 97, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announced.

Gordon B. Hinckley, 97, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died Sunday.

Hinckley served as president of the Salt Lake City-based church since 1995 and has been a member of its top leadership since the 1960s. He died about 7 p.m. Sunday (9 p.m. ET) with his family by his side, church officials announced.

The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, which becomes the nearly 13 million-member church's governing body upon the death of the president, will choose a successor after Hinckley's funeral.

No arrangements had been announced.
President%20Gordon%20B.%20Hinckley.jpg

dbs

MrsSpringsteen said:
I know I shouldn't laugh at that but I am

That's okay

laughing is good for your soul

not so for evil tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine. :no:

anyways, with every dark cloud there is a silver lining

yes, we loss our beloved Gordon

but, now there is a fall back for Mitt to have his Presidency.

We shall just have to see where the Lord believes he can be a better servant.

Last edited:
Speculation is that Thomas S Monson will be called as the next President.

Historically the senior most Apostle, which Thomas Monson is- is usually called to the Church Presidency.

thomas_s_monson_MD.jpg

Mitt will just be a member in good standing.

dbs

diamond said:
Speculation is that Thomas S Monson will be called as the next President.

Historically the senior most Apostle, which Thomas Monson is- is usually called to the Church Presidency.

thomas_s_monson_MD.jpg

Mitt will just be a member in good standing.

dbs

will this be the one that God makes the revelation to that gays are okay?

:crosses fingers:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A group of gay Mormons is seeking an unprecedented meeting with the new church president and his counselors, hoping to begin a conversation and find ways to address the concerns of its members.

Affirmation, with more than 2,000 gay, lesbian and transgender members, is not recognized by the church, which at one time labeled homosexuality as a problem that required help.

"Although there are many areas of hurt and disagreement that have separated us, there are many more areas on which we can find agreement, and in doing so, become a blessing in the lives of many of the Saints, both straight and gay," the group wrote in its invitation to Thomas S. Monson last week.

Monson assumed leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints last Sunday following the death of its previous president, Gordon B. Hinckley.

Such a meeting with Monson and his counselors — a triumvirate known as the First Presidency — would be unprecedented, said David W. Melson, the group's assistant executive director.

"This was something we've talked about for a while," Melson said. "With the death of President Hinckley and the installation of new church leadership, it seemed like the appropriate time."

Church teachings consider homosexuality a sin and hold up traditional marriage as an institution ordained by God.

In the 1990s, the church was active politically in fighting same-sex marriage legislation nationwide. A church official signed a 2006 letter from religious groups asking Congress for a marriage amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Some gays were rejected by their families and excommunicated by the church. Some were counseled that marriage or intensive therapy programs would "cure" their homosexuality.

More recently, church leaders have softened their position, drawing a distinction between the feelings or inclinations of same-gender attraction, as they call it, and actions.

Hinckley, who died Jan. 27 at age 97, had called on the church to reach out to gay members with compassion and love.

Melson said a new approach could prevent Mormon parents from kicking their gay children out of their homes and reduce the number of suicides among young gay men.

"I would like for us never again to have gay individuals, particularly our young people, being told that they are not welcome in the church they grew up in," he said, whose group was founded in 1977 by closeted gay students at the church-owned Brigham Young University.

Church spokeswoman Kim Farah could not confirm receipt of the group's letter on Friday.

"Any correspondence with the First Presidency is private," she said.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Hinckley, who died Jan. 27 at age 97, had called on the church to reach out to gay members with compassion and love.

There are many Gay people in my church who enjoy full membership and all it's blessings.

dba

Yes, you can have full fellowship of the Church, or be dis fellowshipped.

You don't need to be married to have full fellowship in the LDS Church.

dbs

diamond said:
Yes, you can have full fellowship of the Church, or be dis fellowshipped.

You don't need to be married to have full fellowship in the LDS Church.

dbs

Not what I asked. You mentioned full membership, does that mean there is such thing as partial membership?

And then you also mentioned "and all of it's bessings", but I'm assuming that doesn't mean marriage?

So they are still second rate members.

I was using membership and fellowship interchangeably.

No, there is not a partail membership, you either or a member or not, and there are Gay members who enjoy full fellowship.

And no you don't need to be married to have membership in the LDS Church.

dbs

it's true.

i saw a really, really interesting program on Mormans last night on PBS, and the fully accept that people are gay.

you just can't do anything about it. you have to be celibate.

i have no use for the mormon religion, nor will i pretend to know a lot about it.

but for fuck sakes, why do some of you look for fights in every fucking thread?

that's what IIIIIII do, and i look ridiculous.

it's like some of you are so hell-bent in your own philosophies, you feel the need to post it in every thread possible - regardless of the issue in hand!

a man dies, and instantly the usual suspects come riding on their high horse looking to see if they sharpen their knives.

i'm a liberal myself, but i'm embarrassed by it sometimes. i mean... i practically agree with everything some of you say, but you come across in such a distasteful manner it makes me sick to my stomach.

politics is no different than cheerleading, apparently.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
it's true.

i saw a really, really interesting program on Mormans last night on PBS, and the fully accept that people are gay.

Me too!

You watched the PBS special.
:)

dbs

diamond said:

And no you don't need to be married to have membership in the LDS Church.

dbs

Way to avoid the question for the second time. I never asked if you have to be married to have membership.

Look at you original post. You said:
who enjoy full membership and all it's blessings.

"And all of it's blessings" this part is false, for they cannot enjoy all of it's blessings.

Zoomerang96 said:
i have no use for the mormon religion, nor will i pretend to know a lot about it.

but for fuck sakes, why do some of you look for fights in every fucking thread?

that's what IIIIIII do, and i look ridiculous.

it's like some of you are so hell-bent in your own philosophies, you feel the need to post it in every thread possible - regardless of the issue in hand!

a man dies, and according to the quote attributed to him by diamond (and assuming that it's indeed true), and instantly this turns into a typical liberal v conservative grudge match.

i'm a liberal myself, but i'm embarassed by it. i mean... i practically agree with everything some of you say, but you come across in such a distasteful manner it makes me sick to my stomach.

politics is no different than cheerleading, apparently.

Some of us are just trying to get answers. If someone states their religion is all inclusive and everyone is treated equally, I want to know if they are full of shit or not.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Some of us are just trying to get answers. If someone states their religion is all inclusive and everyone is treated equally, I want to know if they are full of shit or not.

Is a thread about the recent passing of a Mormon leader the appropriate place to do it?

Back
Top Bottom