Lawyers Defending "Evil" People...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
[Source]

French Lawyer Says He Will Defend Saddam

PARIS - A French lawyer, known for defending terrorists and a Nazi leader, said Saturday he will defend Saddam Hussein.

Jacques Verges told France-Inter radio he had received a letter from Saddam's family requesting him to defend the former Iraqi leader in court. U.S. officials have said they will bring Saddam to trial for alleged crimes against Iraqi people. But the location of any trial and its format and date have not yet been decided.

The letter from Saddam's family read: "In my capacity as nephew of President Saddam Hussein, I commission you officially by this letter to assure the defense of my uncle," Verges said. He did not name the person who sent the letter.

Saddam is being held by U.S. forces at an undisclosed location.

Verges has defended Venezuelan terrorist Carlos the Jackal, whose real name is Ilich Ramirez. He gained international notoriety during the Cold War for staging a string of deadly bombings, assassinations and hostage seizures.

The French lawyer also defended, Klaus Barbie, a Nazi Gestapo chief in France in World War II, who was convicted of crimes against humanity in Lyon, France.

I believe that this place has discussed this issue before, but I don't believe I've ever asked this question; however, it seems that there is general agreement that "evil" people, like Slobodan Milosevic, Osama bin Laden, and Saddam Hussein, amongst others, deserve to be "brought to justice," and, generally, we agree for that to mean to be brought to trial.

Of course, unless you wish to conduct a Stalinist puppet trial, which we also look down upon, a "trial," by nature, requires adequate representation and the *possibility* that the defendant may not be found guilty. So, thus, why do people get mad when high profile lawyers, like the above, take on the world's most reprehensible people? After all, at least you can say that he will put up a good fight, and, thus, when a guilty verdict does come in, it will not be due to a puppet trial. Plus, at least in the U.S., having inadequate representation will often get a trial thrown out!

Thus, it is my view that, while it may seem incomprehensible to want to defend "evil" individuals, like Saddam, it is absolutely imperative for justice to be served. After all, the evidence is what should determine their fates, and, after all, the evidence is overwhelming...correct?

Melon

I have a cousin who, after all those years of law school and working as a paralegal to pay off her student loan, gave up her first lawyer job as a public defender because she felt guilty trying to get people off who she knew were guilty. So I guess she had a problem with defending 'evil' people. Not as evil as those guys, but wife beaters, child abusers, drunk drivers who hit somebody, drug dealers who shot somebody, stuff like that.

I have a bigger problem with every day criminal defense attorneys who treat the justice system as a game: create lies and spin tales until you fool the jury.

A lawyer for Saddam will ensure due process. No one should have a problem with that (until, however, the lawyer suggests a Twinkie defense....).

Yes they do but she's a sweet girl and her conscience wouldn't let her. She said she knew guys who laughed and bragged about how many guilty guys they had put back on the street :tsk: They felt really cool but she didn't like feeling that way. She couldn't sleep at night or live with herself knowing they were free to do it again and hurt someone else.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Yes they do but she's a sweet girl and her conscience wouldn't let her. She said she knew guys who laughed and bragged about how many guilty guys they had put back on the street :tsk: They felt really cool but she didn't like feeling that way. She couldn't sleep at night or live with herself knowing they were free to do it again and hurt someone else.

Can't say I blame her. I've always wondered how hard it would be for somebody to defend someone who's committed a heinous crime. As pointed out, this is why I'm not a lawyer.

I do agree, though, that everybody who goes to trial deserves somebody there to defend them. But I definitely am willing to believe it'd be hard to do so with some of them.

Angela

The defense of criminals in a public trial is an essential part of a democratic system.

Unfortunatly, the pressures of the job probably drive out many people of good conscience. That is not to say that any publid defender has no conscience, but rather that they become jaded to crime and are more focused on winning the case than finding truth.

It would be a bit strange if the US, what with all they've said about democracy and freedom being the greatest thing EVER tp happen to humankind, denied a human being (evil as he may be) a fundamentally democratic right to a fair trial.

Having said that, yes, I can fully understand why a lawyer wouldn't want to defend someone they knew was guilty. Saddam's just lucky someone has offered to defend him ... whatever their intentions may be.

No one should depend on victors justice,....and it would be very intresting what Saddam has to say when he will talk about his friends

So,Jacques Verges. Go for it,....

When the defendant is someone like Hussein, its unlikely he will ever see freedom again. It is unimaginable to defend the guy, but I wonder how much of it is ever really attempting to prove innocence (from the point of view of the defence). Most high profile trials lack an impartial jury because guilt is beyond doubt. It seems to be all about plea bargaining.

martha said:
Somebody's got to defend him.

yes, it's true... someone has to. and there must be a trial. even if the evidence is"overwhelming" there has to be a fair way to do it. a trial of "peers" in saddam's case may just hate him enough to blow right past all the evidence anyway... but i don't know. it might just be my whole thing with the justice system. there has to be justice in a 'fair' way

Well I think some will just use this as another means of French bashing.

On another note I think the best way to bring Saddam to true justice would be to put him on Judge Judy.

tv-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom