killer pneumonia epidemic--scary!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
This caught my attention. I almost died from pneumococcal pneumonia as a child myself.

UN Warns of Worldwide Threat from Killer Pneumonia

Updated 11:21 AM ET March 15, 2003

By Richard Waddington

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization warned on Saturday of a worldwide health threat as a mystery killer pneumonia spread from east Asia to other parts of the globe.

Releasing a rare "emergency travel advisory," the United Nations health agency said an ill passenger had been taken to an isolation unit in Frankfurt, Germany, on Saturday after being removed from a plane en route from New York to Singapore.

Some 155 other passengers who had been due to change planes or stay in Frankfurt were placed in quarantine there, while the remaining 85 passengers and 20 crew on the Singapore Airlines flight continued their journey, German officials said.

A spokesman for the Geneva-based WHO said there were reports two people had died in Canada, taking the death toll to nine worldwide since the first outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), an atypical pneumonia whose cause is not yet known, was detected in China in February.

"This syndrome, SARS, is now a worldwide health threat," WHO director-general Gro Harlem Brundtland said in a statement.

Among the dead is an American businessman taken ill in Hanoi after visiting Shanghai. He died on Thursday in Hong Kong where 47 cases have been reported.

Some 40 people were being treated in Hanoi, where one nurse died on Saturday, according to local health officials. Cases have also been reported in Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.

WHO spokesman Dick Thompson said the passenger taken from the plane in Frankfurt was a Singapore doctor who had visited New York after treating some of the first suspected SARS patients in Singapore.

"If the suspicion (of pneumonia) is confirmed, the transit passengers will have to remain under observation in quarantine for seven days in order to diagnose any possible infection and prevent the disease spreading," the Social Affairs Ministry in the state of Hesse, which includes Frankfurt, said in a statement.

HIGH ATTACK RATE

WHO issued its first global alert for 10 years earlier this week because of the speed at which the disease travels and because patients are not responding to the usual treatments for pneumonia, Thompson said.

"As reports of cases are confirmed, you will see that there is a very high attack rate. When they get sick, they get very sick," he said.

"We have been doing tests for weeks now in the world's best laboratories and we still do not know whether it is a virus or bacteria," the spokesman added.

Most of the latest cases have been among hospital workers.

The first outbreak was reported in February in China's southern Guangdong province, where 305 people were infected and five people died.

Singapore and Taiwan have issued travel warnings after some cases followed trips to Hong Kong or mainland China.

It was after a visit to Hong Kong, where anxious locals have been sweeping surgical masks off pharmacy shelves, that a Canadian woman died of severe pneumonia on March 5. Her son, who did not travel with her, also fell sick and died.

In its alert, WHO said travelers and airline crews needed to be aware of the first symptoms, which include high temperature and difficulty in breathing.

It was also likely that anybody taken ill would have been in contact with a person diagnosed with the disease or who had traveled to an area where cases had been reported, the alert said.

But WHO said it was not calling for restrictions in travel to any area. (--Additional reporting by Michael Steen in Frankfurt)

Yeah, this is really scary :|

From what I know, we are long overdue for a major pandemic like the flu in the '30s (?). If anything, I think it will be worse this time around because global travel is so much easier and faster. Very scary indeed :uhoh:

Crap... :| My Dad's jsut now getting over a very serious case of Pneumonia. I wonder if it had anything to do with this one they're talking about? My cousin's mother in law nearly died Sunday because her case of Pneumonia made her heart work over time :sad: :uhoh:

Everyone, especially those in Asia. Please eat your vitamins, sleep well, and avoid people who just arrived from Hong Kong or the other affected regions.

foray

I got a mild case of flu on my first day of camping in Malaysia, but I recovered and completed all camp activities without much trouble. However, my dad's gotten flu at the moment, and I'm rather worried. He seems to be recovering well, though, but one of his business associates has been hospitalised and we live in a so-called 'danger area', so who knows what might happen?

I'm still trying to find some confirmation on this, but there have been reports that the mysterious Pneumonia has reached Los Angeles, California. :crack: On that note, here's the latest from WHO who are saying "don't worry... too much."

Experts Urge Against Panic Over Frightening Outbreak of a Deadly Flu-Like Illness in Asia

A handful of suspected cases of a deadly flu-like illness surfaced in new spots around the globe Monday, but medical experts said there "should not be panic" because the spread is not as aggressive as most forms of influenza.

There also were no new fatalities since the nine reported over the weekend when the World Health Organization issued an unusual global alert. WHO officials said they were investigating reports that the illness had surfaced in England, France, Israel, Slovenia and Australia, which previously had no cases.

Most of the 167 cases that have appeared in the past three weeks are health workers in Hong Kong, Vietnam and the Guangdong province of China. China said it had 300 earlier cases of what appeared to be the same illness in an outbreak that began last November.

In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was skeptical that the four cases it was looking into would be verified as "severe acute respiratory syndrome," or SARS, the name given the unidentified illness. The CDC already has ruled out 10 other suspicious cases.

Disease investigators said it could take weeks to determine the cause of the mysterious outbreak.

WHO officials also said that for the first time, China was allowing teams of experts into the country to take a closer look at its own earlier outbreak, which killed five people before it was brought under control. WHO investigators should be there by week's end, the U.N. agency said.

Experts believe that the most likely explanation for the respiratory illness is an exotic virus or the most feared scenario a new form of influenza.

However, WHO's communicable diseases chief, Dr. David Heymann, said the illness doesn't seem to spread as quickly a flu.

"It isn't contagious at the level of many other infectious diseases," he said. "A normal influenza would be very contagious to people sitting in the same room."

So far, experts say there is no evidence the infection spreads by casual contact, such as sitting next to somebody in an airplane.

"There should not be panic. This is a disease which, it seems, requires very close contact with patients and it is mainly hospital workers who have been infected in the first wave of infections. Now we are seeing that some other family members have been infected," Heymann said.

CDC head Dr. Julie Gerberding said she doubts the flu virus is responsible, since Hong Kong labs, which are very good at diagnosing influenza, have not been able to identify it.

The incubation period for SARS appears to be three to seven days. It often begins with a high fever and other flu-like symptoms, such as headache and sore throat. Victims typically develop coughs, pneumonia, shortness of breath and other breathing difficulties. Death results from respiratory failure.

The Chinese said 7 percent of patients there required breathing tubes, but most eventually got better, especially if they were not also stricken with a bacterial infection. In addition, the disease seemed to weaken as it passed from person to person.

That's encouraging, WHO officials say, adding that some of the patients in the latest outbreak seem to be recovering.

China's provision of a written summary of its outbreak was an unprecedented step of cooperation by Beijing in global disease surveillance, Heymann said. It was also an important one, partly because scientists have for years been warning that a new influenza pandemic is inevitable and new types of flu often develop in that part of the world, Heymann said.

"The big concern in this area of the world is that one day another influenza virus could hop the barrier between animals and humans. In the 20th century three viruses crossed, and the last two, in the '50s and '60s, occurred in the southern China area," Heymann said.

In another unprecedented move, the WHO on Monday created a "virtual research center," which links 10 laboratories in 11 countries to search for the cause in cooperation instead of competition.

A Slovene woman suspected of suffering from the illness was listed in stable condition Monday at a hospital in the capital, Ljubljana. She had returned from a trip to Vietnam 10 days ago.

French health authorities said Monday that two people who returned from Asia were hospitalized in Paris after doctors suspected they might have the illness.

In Israel, doctors at Tel Aviv's Ichilov hospital said Monday they have quarantined a 33-year-old man who has flu symptoms and returned from Hong Kong three days ago. (Associated Press March17)

It's interesting that no one has brought up the possibility of biological terrorism.. Much like the odd virus found on the cruise ships, One can never discount the possibility of 'trial runs'.

Mr. Pink

Lemonite, I wasn't thinking about this in the context of bioterrorism. I am not sure pneumonia is written up in Senator Frist's new book on the subject of bioterrorism, which I'm going to get but haven't gotten around to getting. If you ask me it's gotten to such a dangerous level that it's what you might want to call apolotical bioterrorism, if there is indeed such a thing. This disease *almost* killed me when I was six. The reason it didn't kill me? Penicillin.

Yo verte.. Yah.. I'm learning much more than I would like to about diseases and the various antibiotics that work, and unfortunately more often than not.. don't work.

As I'm sure you can attest.. Fuck the B-Lactamases..

Hahah.. a little nerdy humor for ya...

Mr. Pink

Well... I'm not sure about that bioterrism thing, but the atmosphere here is certainly quite scary...

Every day there are new cases reported and three of them are found in a hospital which is just next to my school.

:| :huh: :|

This thing has me nervous. The worst thing about it is that you're right, Lemonite, this thing is resistant to antibiotics and thus there's not a heck of alot they can do to help the people that have caught it. Horrors. :scream: :scream:

yertle-the-turtle said:
update: my dad is recovering well and should be back to work next week. thanks for all the messages.

So glad to get the good news, yertle. I'm sure that must have been terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom