Kids On Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
You know what I think is worse than kids buying drugs on the street?
Parents putting their kids on drugs.
When I was a child, hyper kids were given different ways to channel their energy, and parents spent time with them. Now days, it's way too easy to just give them a pill. That doesn't require effort, time or commitment. What are we doing to our kids? AAAAAAGH! Damn Ritilin. Damn it to hell!

I have to disagree with you on this. My boyfriend's son is very hyperactive and easily distracted. He take a form of ritalin that lasts 12 hours out of the day and without it he is very disruptive in school (to the point where he has to be removed from the class) and can't concentrate for more than 10 minutes without getting very frustrated among other things. We already usually spend at least 2 hours a day on home work with him and he's only going into THIRD grade this year!! I can agree with you that it's been used as a remedy far too often but in our case it's very necessary.

------------------
"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"I was in charge of this band for two days. Two days was all I lasted." -- Larry

"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

When you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit, you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it --- Summer Rain

clarityat3am@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by clarityat3am (edited 08-14-2001).]

i think the two have to come hand in hand. Drugs are very powerful and especially when you are a young child. If you are not explaining things to your child telling him about the pills then you cant teach him to act a normal life.

ps. when i seen the title i thought we were in for another great drug debate!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Wow, that's sad, Like 02.
frown.gif

Drugs are everywhere these days and you don't have to go on the streets. A lot of kids (never me and I don't personally know anyone) can get high off household items (huffing them). Sick stuff. Eep.

As for Ritalin, there are cases for it and against it. I do think parents need to be more involved in their childrens' lives and not to just jump at the drug answer. But if it helps and is moderated, then fine.

tania

------------------
All I Want Is You (2)

No one should ever condem drug-addicts, some of the most interesting people I know are on something or another at some point throughout the day. As for kids, well... I must confess, I was addicted to Calpol in my youth. No doubt my outlook is quite disagreeable for a Conservative, but I don't mind; I have my prozac to fall back on in case I get an anxiety attack.

Ant.

Would we condemn parents for medicating their diabetic children? How about the kids with heart problems who need medication?
I've seen students who are far behind their classmates academically because they had so much trouble paying attention in class.
Don't dismiss all parents who put their kids on Ritalin and other drugs just because a few have overdone it. This is a popular thing to do nowadays, but no one seems to be able to give solid evidence that it's as widespread as they'd like to believe it is.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Back
Top Bottom