Kerry guaranteed to win!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder how many of us are descended from royalty? I'm just a schmuck of mainly Scotch-Irish descent, but there could be a blue blood in there somewhere.

Oh, Verte...

I am 18 generations removed from Norwegian Royalty! :up:

all of you should :bow: to me!

or so my dad believes we are royalty

Last edited:
I'm surprised that researchers would come out with such claims when most ancestry for even the Presidents start to have dead ends once one gets back 5 or 6 generations. For example, all of Ronald Reagan's ancestors on his father's side came from southern Ireland where record keeping with relevent genealogical information was not common until after 1800. Reagan's ancestry on his father's side can only be searched back to that point. Whether he is related to royalty further back through his father is simply unknown.

It is there for impossible for one to declare that one actually has more royal blood than another. Certainly some have made some lucky finds that are interesting, but it does not prove that one has more royal blood than another.

Sting, there are ways you can trace your ancestry back for a long time. I have a record of an ancestor who was born in Scotland in the late 17th century, around 1680. Subsequent births took place in both Scotland and Ireland, and my folks came to this country, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina, in the late eighteenth century. It's a ton of research and work, but it's doable.

My dad has done lots of research on our family, even on my mom's side. My relative was the first to be beheaded by the guillotine (however you spell that) in France because he was a protestant. I tease my Catholic friends about that.

Well I have one half bog Irish going back to 1860 when one Daniel :censored: was deported to Australia for firearms offenses and stealing pigs. And then another side of the family goes back to wealthy Scots.

verte76 said:
Sting, there are ways you can trace your ancestry back for a long time. I have a record of an ancestor who was born in Scotland in the late 17th century, around 1680. Subsequent births took place in both Scotland and Ireland, and my folks came to this country, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina, in the late eighteenth century. It's a ton of research and work, but it's doable.

There certainly are ways and I have searched "parts" of my ancestry back prior to 1500. But looking at any ancestor chart, even for the presidents, and you will discover dead ends in many area's around the 5th and 6th generation going back. Going 5 generations back(parent, grandparent, G Grandparent, GG Grandparent GGG Grandparent), every person has 32 Great, Great, Great, Grandparents. Some may have them complete, but most Presidents who have had their ancestry's researched by thousands of people will still not know all 32 of their Great, Great, Great, Grandparents. No doubt, several of those lines that are known will be traced hundreds of years back, but the further you go back after that, the more deadends will appear.

The fact is, the further in time you go back, the smaller the number of records there are that one can find their ancestors on.

Irish Catholics usually are not able to trace their roots in Ireland any farther back than 1800, which is the case with Reagan's father.

There a several things which make Genealogy in Ireland difficult. Census's and many other Genealogically important records were burned during the Irish Civil War in Dublin. The earliest surviving Census in Ireland is the 1901 Census. Civil registration of births, deaths and marriages did not begin until 1864. Prior to that, Church Records are very important. But Catholic record keeping did not begin in Ireland until the early 1800s, and some places not until the late 1800s. Protestant record keeping in Ireland started in the early 1700s, but many of those records were brought to Dublin prior to the Civil War to keep them in a central location and were burned in the fire.

Griffiths Land Valuation of Ireland from 1848-1864 is often used as a census substitute as it list the head of every household in Ireland during that time. The interesting thing is that if one can find their ancestor on this land valuation, they can go to the exact place where the house or dwelling place is or once stood during that time, for their ancestor. Most census's will only list a street or town where their person resided, but this land valuation allows one to find the exact piece of land that the ancestor lived on, regardless of what is there now.

Irish genealogy is exciting and there are many things that one can find, its just that research prior to 1800 for most will not be possible because there are simply no records available prior to that time in most area's of Ireland.

Oh, Sting, you are so right about the difficulty of Irish ancestor tracing. The Carmichaels, my paternal grandmother's family, have kept their records since coming to South Carolina from County Antrim in 1774. They did a whole slew of cousin marriage and stuff. We have records of a birth on my mother's side of the family in Antrim in 1709. This guy, David MacCurdy, is said to have lived to be 124 years old, dying in Georgia in 1833. But we've run into a whole slew of dead ends trying to find information in Ireland. I also have German ancestry. Forget about finding birthplaces on the Continent, particularly if you don't read German.

I am English and English. And I think I have some English in there somewhere

:laugh:

It's boring genealogy-wise coming from England cos most people are just English. We have no massive history of immigration/emigration in the past....apart from invasions that happened like in medieval times (eg normans) or roman / viking times.... unlike exciting countries genealogy wise eg US/Australia

My surname is Bampton. From that I can deduce that my family comes from the town of Bampton in either Cumbria or Devon. It's that exciting

:| :| :|

edit to say - sorry - this is completely off topic lol

Last edited:
If your from England and live in England, Genealogy can still be exciting because you learn about your family and their lives. Also, Bampton is but one name out of hundreds and thousands that are in your ancestry. One may not be able to find all these names, but the fun is in the hunt, because there are all kinds of things you can discover that you did not know before hand. In addition, someone living in England could potentially find they are related to people in the United States, Australia or Canada. I'm not talking about in the general sense either.

I'm 100% Dutch as far back as the 1600s. I believe my ancestors were peasants living on the castle grounds, probably slaving away for everyone else's royal ancestors.

Not to be completely picky bammo2, but surely you must be aware that it really doesn't mean anything to be 'English'. By Jove, don't you realise how many times this insignificant little island has been invaded?! :ohmy:

If it wasn't the Germans it was the French, if it wasn't the French it was the Vikings! From Saxons to Normans, and from Ivan the Terrible to modern-day Australian back-packers. We're a bloody mess.

Ant.

P.S - the only real royalty in my blood, apparently, comes from Cuahtemoc, an Aztec emperor. Apparently I'm related to him, though fat lot of use thats ever done me.

My last name means Traveling King in German but I have no idea if I actually had a traveling king in my past.

My name is German for "maker of earthenware", or "potter". Have I found my German ancestor's birthplace? No, and I probably never will. For awhile I had a false lead to Westphalia, but that was a great big mistake someone made up by concocting a story about alleged blue bloods in our ancestry. One really funny thing about having a Czech history site with genealogy links is that sometimes I get e-mails from people who think I'm a "real" Czech, as opposed to someone who pretends like they are one on the weekends. Just the other day some Czech-American guy e-mailed me asking for ancestor-tracing tips and I just flat out told him I was clueless in the matter as my heritage is actually mostly Irish. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom