Keith Olbermann's Special Comment 5-23-08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not all that vital really. . .I just personally respect it when people are independent-minded enough to "challenge their own." You certainly don't have to if you don't want to.

And if I'm really honest, I suppose I was perhaps hypothesizing about the nature of conservative and liberal thinking--that conservatives are perhaps more likely to stick to the "party line." But of course that may be unfair and inaccurate--if anything Olberman himself has proved that the left is equally adept at shallow bloviating! :)
Bloviating is one thing, groupthinking is another thing altogether, for which right and left are equally prone to if there is agreement within their group. Beware of consensus, nothing picks out bad ideas or drives new ones than criticism.

Responses to posts always say more about other people, more and more I am coming around to the belief that it is better to be consistently pugilistic than weak or self-pitying in conversation and debate. Stocking up on more information and formulating new arguments should help to that end.

I want to tow the party line for bitter, sarcastic and unprincipled bastards.

Doing sports broadcasting. He hasn't been at MSNBC all that long.

Had he done any news broadcasting before? Or was it straight from ESPN to MSNBC?

he left espn in '97 i do believe, in order to become a "serious broadcaster" with MSNBC. that failed... miserably. so he returned to sports with Fox, later switching back to NBC and eventually back to MSNBC. somewhere in that time, yankee second baseman chuck knoblauch over threw first base and nailed olbermann's mom in the face with a ball. hilarity ensued.

the tag team of keith and dan patrick, with some help from craig kilbourn, MADE espn's sportscenter what it is today. they were awesome together, and it was a sad sad day when the duo broke up.

i actually considered going into broadcasting out of high school largely because of dan patrick and keith olbermann (the prospect of spending the first 10+ years of my career jumping around from city to city in shit job after shit job just to get my foot in the door made me rethink that).

now i don't care for olbermann. he's turned into just another ideological blow-hard... the bizzaro bill o'reilly, if you will.

Last edited:
^^ and your point is what Deep?

Yes, they know he is a target. Discussing the issue in an interview directly in response to a question is much different than blatantly posting his picture on a newspaper like that with the headline WHITE FRIGHT and rifle scope on his chest in the middle of KKK country.

^^ and your point is what Deep?

Yes, they know he is a target. Discussing the issue in an interview directly in response to a question is much different

I thought the answer was very poor
a better answer would have been

"America is a great country
with wonderful people,
we have received so much support and encouragement, it is wonderful.
But, yes every candidate is at risk.
We choose to trust the American people."

What she said was much worse than what Hillary said.

And that is my point.

This thread is not about that magazine.

What she said was much worse than what Hillary said.

But was it, really? Aren't all black men statistically at higher risk of gun violence than white men? Wasn't Michele Obama just being honest?

That said, I still think it's quite a leap to assume that Hillary was implying that Obama was at risk of being assassinated. And she can hardly be blamed for that magazine cover, which I agree, was in very poor taste.

The off-topic tangent of the last two pages kind of reminds me of this thread Dread posted a couple years back. (See, even then people were grumbling about the good old days pre-2004... :wink: )

I'm trying to think of what I can say concerning the two departed posters previously alluded to without being inappropriate...from private interactions with them at the time, I agree with Dread that yes, the tenor of FYM was their main motive for leaving. Neither of them ever explicitly cited 'racist/homophobic/misogynistic' labelling to me as a reason why they felt fed up, though, and I got the impression their gripes were much broader-based than that...more a combination of A) wearying of the frequent snideness and condescending tone of certain (liberal) regulars, and B) basically what BonosSaint just mentioned--an increasing collective slide towards lazy dogmatism, responding to attempts to problematize the expected (liberal) talking points on an issue by implicitly or openly attributing dishonorable intentions to the person doing the problematizing. One characteristically focused more on A), the other characteristically more on B), but basically that seemed to be it. I don't think they were entirely blameless themselves of contributing to the FYM 'climate' they complained about, but then that's true of all of us to varying degrees. I would love to be able to say I saw some effective way to address those problems and did it but I can't-- B) is really a function of how hard people are willing to try and how much benefit of the doubt they're prepared to extend one another, and as for A), that has been addressed with said individuals multiple times, they know who they are, but for better and for worse there's a difference between that and actual ban-worthy behavior. If you look at the thread I linked to above, an assertion was made that the forum membership used to collectively self-police that sort of thing more and that that was another casualty of increasing polarization post-2004.

It is true that when you're talking about a social and political discussion forum, the smaller the share of the total group comprised by some particular ideological subset, the more it becomes a problem for the overall caliber of debate if no one in that subset is strongly and consistently motivated to debate constructively and at length. On the other hand, if you're not in the minority, lucky you, because there's almost always at least someone around to do the heavy lifting. I would also point out that the more effort you're putting into it, the more it stings when you get facile putdowns in response.

Have I told you how much I appreciate your moderation of this forum.

The link to my old thread made me laugh. There was a point where Melon was banned from the forum. At the time I was probably behaving like the right wing nut job I tried to be when coming into the forum. Irvine had not been a member of the forum yet, so I took up the Gay rights cause while Melon was gone because I wanted to maintain some balance in the forum.

Ha Ha!

It was fun.

Anyways, no harm or foul sean.....I just got my bristles up.

But was it, really? Aren't all black men statistically at higher risk of gun violence than white men? Wasn't Michele Obama just being honest?

Odds are very slim of Obama being shot at the gas station
getting mobbed for autographs, yes.

regardless, to say it is just an honest answer misses the point

whatever anyone was all upset about with Hillary,
that she potentially eluded that Obama may be at risk of being assassinated, subconsciously or subliminally, in an obscure interview with some unknown newspaper

is much less reckless
than Michelle on 60 minutes saying.. "Oh yeah, anytime, anywhere Obama is available for target practice, just have at it."

Just saw it on youtube...a little over the top but everything he said was true. Hillary has been absolutely despicable this campaign. No question about it.

I just want to take a moment to point out that many of the "left-leaning" folks here in FYM have managed to make a nuanced and thoughtful criticism of "one of our own." What I'd like to see is a similar kind of thoughtful criticism by our conservative friends here on the forum of THEIR own.

I think a lot of liberals in this forum still have a lot of work to do. I have yet to see BonoVox, Irvine, or Jeannieco (among others) say anything negative about Barack Obama. Not one criticism. Not one substantive disagreement they have with him.

^^I don't like Obama's stance on nuclear power. I have a huge issue with the toxic waste aside from that I honestly find it as an answer to many prayers I have found a candidate with so much I relate to. I hope you find the same in whomever you vote for.

If I missed it I apologize, but please tell us what you don't like about McCain...

Fundamentally I agree with Sen. Obama on the big issues especially his stance on the war. I connected right away and applauded him for that because I was out there much like he was speaking up and taking big time HEAT from my Republican friends and family for saying it was a mistake long before the first bomb was dropped. I was labeled as unpatriotic for sticking up for the Dixie Chicks when it was an unpopular thing to do when I was living in the middle of the deep south. I was at a BBQ one time down in Jacksonville Florida and was asked my opinion about the war before we invaded and I was the only person there who opposed it. I said it was a mistake for various reasons such as the aftermath of tribal kaos, but mostly because one of my brothers through his line of work , knows a former weapons inspector who said the Bush Admin was totally fabricating this whole WMD story. Everybody scoffed at me. With that said my point is, he inspires me. Ya, there I said it. HE INSPIRES ME. I don't think I need to apologize for that.
What a sad state of affairs when a person is made to feel bad about that.

I think a lot of liberals in this forum still have a lot of work to do. I have yet to see BonoVox, Irvine, or Jeannieco (among others) say anything negative about Barack Obama. Not one criticism. Not one substantive disagreement they have with him.

but i have said many positive things about McCain.

can you say the same about Obama? or Hillary?

here's a criticism of Obama: i wish he had voted against that silly, pandering Farm Bill (and, to his credit, McCain voted against it).

If I missed it I apologize, but please tell us what you don't like about McCain....

I don't like that he voted against the tax cuts early on. I know he did so because he also wanted a decrease in spending, and I understand that, but it certainly makes him look bad in the eyes of conservatives.

I don't like that he's bought into the whole global warming premise.

McCain-Feingold, which seems to be coming back to bite him in the rear.

McCain-Kennedy, and not being tough enough on illegal aliens.

I disagree with him on torture.

The candidate I agreed the most with was probably Giuliani, who I initially supported. Though I do agree with most in this forum, in that McCain was the most electable, if not only electable of the GOP bunch this year.

I don't like that he voted against the tax cuts early on. I know he did so because he also wanted a decrease in spending, and I understand that, but it certainly makes him look bad in the eyes of conservatives.

I don't like that he's bought into the whole global warming premise.

McCain-Feingold, which seems to be coming back to bite him in the rear.

McCain-Kennedy, and not being tough enough on illegal aliens.

I disagree with him on torture.

The candidate I agreed the most with was probably Giuliani, who I initially supported. Though I do agree with most in this forum, in that McCain was the most electable, if not only electable of the GOP bunch this year.

Interesting. Thank you.

Negative doesn't = criticism. Something you haven't figured out.

My criticism has been the same for all canidates, it just turns out my views are more in line with Obama.

I don't think it says all that much when people criticize the candidate they support. I don't think it really shows a certain objectivity. Holding all candidates to the same standard shows at least objectivity and consistency. It says, "I may agree with 100% with Obama and not criticize him but I won't hold him to a different standard than others" That's fair, right?

For example, the Obamians who cite the "rules" over and over again as to why Florida and Michigan should not count and turn around and bemoan the same "rules" that allow superdelegates to vote any which way they please.

It's just an inconsistency. Some might say hypocritical.

Seriously? "Nuance" is Irvine's middle name!

And irony is deeps weapon of choice, it still doesn't prevent him being mischaracterised.

Why can't everybody just be jaded and spiteful, it makes it so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom