Katrina could have a silver lining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
First Lady Tackles Poverty, Race Issues
Sep 20 8:14 PM US/Eastern

By JENNIFER LOVEN
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Laura Bush, former inner-city teacher, says Hurricane Katrina could have a silver lining if it forces the nation to respond "in a different way" to difficult poverty and racial problems.

"A large percentage of our population probably doesn't realize what inner cities are really like and has looked away from that," Bush told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

"Because of the devastation on the coast, there will be a neighborhood and a housing discussion that'll be possible that really was not possible before," she said. "And then the employment piece of it is also very, very important. ... If a large number of people can come out with skills that they didn't have before, that will be one silver lining."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/20/D8COAC1O0.html

katrinabody.jpg

I guess the impact of that picture after that article has left me rather speechless. There's not a thing I can add that hasn't already been said by that photo.

"And then the employment piece of it is also very, very important. ... If a large number of people can come out with skills that they didn't have before, that will be one silver lining."
Yes, it is very fortunate that the thousands of people who lost their jobs, homes, and even family members in the hurricane will have the opportunity to learn new skills such as cleaning up massive amounts of garbage, tearing down water-damaged houses, and decontaminating their drinking water. Yes, definitely a bright silver lining.

"A large percentage of our population probably doesn't realize what inner cities are really like and has looked away from that," Bush told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

Self-reflection is important during times of crisis.:wink:

And we failed that test ~ but who cares if they are Blacks, Arabs or Orientals; never again....... in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom