Justice for Jessica........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vincent Vega said:

He has probably set you on ignore again. You are certainly too challenging.

He says he has, but he still reads my posts and picks and chooses which ones to reply to.

If Couey were for some reason let out of jail, and Mr. Lunsford killed him...what should his punishment be?

As a father I'm quite certain if a man did this to my child I might want him dead. I might even take care of it myself...but there's a difference between a distraught father seeking revenge and a government that sanctions revenge-killings (because isn't that what the DP is?). How much difference is there between the state executioner and a lynch mob?

I disagree with the DP on moral grounds and also because I don't think it's a deterrent. If it's not a practical deterrent, then as CTU2fan put it, the DP is no more than state-sponsored revenge, right?

This man from Florida instead of getting the death penalty was sentenced to a certain number of years in jail, would no sooner get out of jail and repeat the crime over and over until he got caught again. Giving him the humane treatment of the death penalty is saying he is not able to live in society without projecting harm onto anyone but especially children.

I don't know how many of you have children that are posting, but one day when you do you might find that your opinion on the matter would change.

We're not saying that instead of the death penalty, "a certain number of years" would replace it. Life without parole.

JCOSTER said:
This man from Florida instead of getting the death penalty was sentenced to a certain number of years in jail, would no sooner get out of jail and repeat the crime over and over until he got caught again. Giving him the humane treatment of the death penalty is saying he is not able to live in society without projecting harm onto anyone but especially children.

I don't know how many of you have children that are posting, but one day when you do you might find that your opinion on the matter would change.

Where did you get "a certain number of years"?:huh:

Irvine511 said:

and if the Bible had anything to do with the appropriateness of punishments in what is supposed to be a secular legal system, then this will matter.

no Bible quotes, please. i'm so sick of it being used as some sort of trump card, or even this feigning that it's remotely relevant to what we're talking about.

i don't give a shit what Jesus would or would have wanted. Jesus isn't sentencing people to various punishments based on their crimes. Jesus has nothing to do with this one way or another.

let's talk about the Constitution or something that, you know, has something to do with the situation at hand.

amen.

JCOSTER said:

Unfortunately, not many child molesters/killers get life without parole.

Since when? First of all molesters has nothing to do with it, we're talking about murder. And unless they were found to be clinically insane then yes most child murderers do get life, I'm not sure where you are getting your information from...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Since when? First of all molesters has nothing to do with it, we're talking about murder. And unless they were found to be clinically insane then yes most child murderers do get life, I'm not sure where you are getting your information from...

How often do you hear of or read of a child molester/murderer getting life in prison? There isn't enough of room in the jail system to hold them all.:|

Yeah I must say I don't often hear of a molester getting life...but wasn't this Couy guy a repeat offender? I would think that would warrent life in prison in addition to the brutal murder.

JCOSTER said:

How often do you hear of or read of a child molester/murderer getting life in prison? There isn't enough of room in the jail system to hold them all.:|

Please show me some evidence?

You think they leave those that murder children out of jails because they are overcrowded with drug dealers? What are you talking about? Come on, that sentence doesn't even make sense.

You make it sound as if murderers of children are treated differently than any other murderer.

JCOSTER said:
^ then how come the 39 sex offenders living in my area are not in jail?

They served time but, it wasn't life.

Um, murder and sex offenders are two entirely different crimes.

This whole discussion has been based on DP and murder. You can't just start lumping sex offenders in with it...

Our point is not those cases though. It's that in cases where today you would use the death penalty, instead use life without parole. This is an entirely different discussion.

JCOSTER said:
The person we were discussing and the situation was about a sex offender/murderer.

Yes, and the operative word is murderer. The 39 sex offenders in your area are sex offenders, not murderers.

You know we can go on and on about this forever, and everyone is going to have their own opinions which is fine.

But, when someone like Jessicas killer or even Megans killer who Megans Law was named after moves into your neigbhorhood maybe people would feel differently.

The molesters in the above cases were guilty molesters first...then they turned into killers.

The debate here wasn't about the jail time for sex offenders. That is an issue, of course, but it doesn't pertain to the death penalty discussion we had. We can discuss it separately, but you were referring to posts about a different topic.

diamond said:

Vengence is up to God.

And where he is going to land thru out eternity will be up to God and what God's vengence is, God has all knowledge of our entire lives, our circumstance and situations. What degree of Hell this person suffers in, only God knows.

Our duty as a society is respect the rule of law, not be gleeful about an execution and send him to his Maker and let God decide what he is going to do with him.

dbs

that doesn't make any sense at all.

vengence can and is exacted on humans by humans.

we're dealing with secular laws in a secular justice system. let's keep it secular, please.

it's amazing that justifications for the death penalty are held on religious grounds -- what if the executed is an atheist? you're so cavalier about sending him to "god" for quicker judgement, it's kind of sick, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom