Jury duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
I got summond today for jury duty. I am not really doing anything. Have a job but its not a carrer. I am not goiing back to school till January.

I would particapate in a jury if they offerd. I think it would be a unique experience and a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

Has anyone ever had to be in a jury? If so did you enjoy the experience?

I know that i'm not on a jury but it got me thinking.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Really if it was a weed case then i would vote to what the law tells me too.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by U2Bama:
What if it's a marijuana case?

Hahahhaa!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Funny stuff...

Well, I was chosen to be in a jury once. County court. They ask you all a bunch of questions.... and I guess I must have said something they didnt like because they immediatly excused me.
biggrin.gif

Or you could play dumb if its some high tech federal case. I was in the jury of some fraud case and I swear, I am not stupid, but nothing these guys were talking about were making any sense to me whatsoever. I didnt even understand what the case was about so I stood up and just told them I had no clue what they were talking about! They happily excused me.

Jury duty sucks... bottom line. And the pay is shit.

rolleyes.gif

------------------
Sicilian Women Are More Dangerous Than Shotguns

My Website

I've been on a jury once, and it was fairly recently, actually. It was a civil court case, where a guy was accusing his former company of wrongful termination. I have to say, I wasn't too thrilled about it when I got the summons, but I actually really enjoyed the process and it was a good learning experience and eye opener into the world of the justice system.

One thing I learned, though, is that you could think the case is crystal clear, open and shut, out of the deliberation room in 15 minutes, but the person next to you might have the exact opposite opinion. My jury deliberated for a little over 4 hours, and it was a little grueling but it was a very cool opportunity and you really felt a sense of duty and purpose. Ultimately we compromised and sided with the plaintiff but didn't give him anywhere near as much money as he was hoping for. Another thing with jury duty, you can't just rely on common sense - if it wasn't in the jury and it wasn't stated, you can't use it. You can't base a decision on something that wasn't stated in the case, so it makes using deduction and common sense a lot trickier.

Anyway, I might be making it sound pretty scary now, but if you do get in on a jury, I'm sure you'll find it interesting and rewarding (just hope the seats are comfy
wink.gif
).

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:

I stood up and just told them I had no clue what they were talking about! They happily excused me.

That also works in some churches, you know....

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

Ya i'm the kind of person that would really enjoy that kind of thing. I dont care either way but as i said i'd take the position.

Did they pay you?

------------------

Yup, I'm going in the morning. I was picked for the Jury the last two times of being summoned, so lets see if I can make it three for three!
It really is interesting and I don't mind it, I just worry about my day job... wondering if the fill in person is doing it right or just leaving a complete disaster for me to clean up!
Just remember to take reading material for the very long gaps of doing nothing but waiting for them to tell you where to go etc...
smile.gif

Blah! I was picked, a murder trial that will last a week or more!

I should have booked a flight for Slane 2!

I FECKIN HATED IT!!!! I GOT SUMMONED FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SHIT MESELF, I FECKIN DIDNT WANT TO DO IT, FECKIN SIT THERE FOR FECKIN HOURS ON END LISTENIN TO ENDLESS PLEADIN, FOR FECK SAKE, I TRIED TO GET OUT OF IT, BLOODY CALLED UP EVERYTIME BUT LUCKILY UNTIL FINAL AND ON FIFTH WEEK GOT PICKED, EVERY OTHER A STANDBY, I FECKIN HATED THE SHITE SOUP AND SANDWICHES YA GET, AND THEN NEXT DAY EVEN SHITTIER, U CANNIE GO ANYWHERE AND ITS BLOODY AWFUL, I FECKIN HATED IT WITH ALL MY FECKIN GUTS, BIGGER THAN A FECKIN TANK DID I HATE IT..........AND THE FECKIN OLD PUNCHIN SHITE OF A JUDGE WAS A MEAN OLD FART WHO DIDNT EVEN LET ANYONE CHEW GUM, I FECKIN HATED THAT OLD GIT!!!!!!
I EVEN FECKIN HATED THE VOTEY THINGY, EVERYONE FECKIN RUSHED AND I FELT PRESSURED TO VOTE GUILTY FOR FECK SAKE......FECKIN IDIOTS!!!!!

so there ya go, thats my view.......
biggrin.gif

Well i see you had a great experience mad1!!!
You know what is really wierd? A guy at work go summond for the SAME day...0o0o0o0o

*bonoman*

------------------

bonoman

Back
Top Bottom