June 19th, 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Thanks to Shadow Viper who allowed me share this with all of you

June 19, 2005

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
-Cherokee

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Prayer:

O Great Spirit of our Ancestors... To your messengers the four winds,
and to Mother Earth who provides for your children. Give us the
wisdom to teach our children to love, to respect, and to be kind to each other so that they may grow with peace in mind. Let us learn to share all the good things that you provide for us on this Earth.

THINK ON THESE THINGS
by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

A tiny yellow flower was lost in the grass until an orange and yellow butterfly found it. They stirred up interest in it until it had to be investigated. Amazingly, there were flowers everywhere in the grasses.

Little things are often dwarfed even more until something equally small leads us to them. We've been told not to sweat the little things and yet, it is the small things we accidentally see that are our greatest finds.

The plan for our lives might not always include an orange and yellow butterfly. Maybe it is the small words, the little caring things that pushes us to develop an ability we didn't know we had. We can learn the value of hidden talent and wait for it to lead us.

June 19 - Cherokee Feast of Days
by Joyce Sequichie Hifler

Some of us have kindred souls that understand what we feel, what we think, and what we need. These special people seldom bother with a lot of talk - but their quiet companionship is balm to the spirit and enough without words. Wherever we are on the pathway - the Cherokee calls it "ga lo hi s di" - one of these special persons has known loneliness, felt the solitary hours, heard the empty echoes, and is there to mark the way for us. We are assured of company, told that we will make it - that we are almost there now. Suddenly there is a corner to turn, a light to shine, hope and hand to support us. Then in quiet communications, we reach back and take someone else's hand.

~ They were kind to me, those old men, when I was working hard to learn from them these sacred songs. ~

PLAYFUL CALF

Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 19

"Respect should be given those indigenous nations who still carry on their ceremonies; still following the ancient laws of nature with songs and ceremonies."
--Oren R. Lyons, Spokesman, Traditional Circle of Elders

Many of our Tribes still have the ceremonies, songs and traditions. Today, the ceremonies and songs are coming back even stronger. The Elders have a lot of this knowledge. The young people need to learn these songs and traditions from the Elders. This is the strength of the people. The ancient Wisdom and Knowledge of ancient Laws are hidden in the ceremonies and songs. We should seek out these songs and ceremonies.

Great Spirit,
teach me the
songs and
ceremonies.
Make my eyes
open to see.

Native Wisdom:

Love is something you and I must have. We must have it because our spirit feeds upon it. We must have it because without it we become weak and faint. Without love our self-esteem weakens. Without it our courage fails. Without love we can no longer look out confidently at the world. We turn inward and begin to feed upon our own personalities, and little by little we destroy ourselves.

With it we are creative. With it we march tirelessly. With it, and with it alone, we are able to sacrifice for others.

Chief Dan George

Thanks for this hon! :hug:

You know, my English dept. chair had a book of Native American prayers and thoughts on her desk (I shared her classroom as I didn't have one of my own).
I would read through it when I had a minute many afternoons. Really profound, healing stuff. I love the emphasis on a cooperation rather than competition (though that has its place as well).

Peace :)

I agree - it is one of the best threads in FYM for a long time because it simply speaks to the Heart and not to the head.

I have a great respect for Native Americans and their customs - I actually lived in a traditional Native way for several months when I was younger. It changed my life for the better. :wink:

"Tell General Howard I know his heart. What he told me before I have in my heart. I am tired of fighting. Our chiefs are killed. Looking Glass is dead. It is the young men who say yes or no. He who led the young men is dead. It is cold and we have no blankets. The little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them have run away to the hills and hove no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are -- perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children and see how many I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I shall fight no more forever." ~Chief Joseph

Back
Top Bottom