Judge No Longer Believes In Punishment, Sentences Rapist To 60 Days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people here don't like to hear his name, but O'Reilly has been all over this since the day it happened. He's pushing hard to get Jessica's Law passed in Vermont, and other states. He will be addressing it on his show again tonight.

What I find interesting is that Judge Cashman originally sentenced Hulett to only 60 days because they would not offer him treatment in prison, only upon his release, and it was the quickest way to get him treated. However, the Agency of Human Services responded that if Cashman reconsidered his original judgment and sentence Hulett to a more appropriate sentence, they would make sure Hulett got treated while in prison.

Now, if Cashman were to change the sentence, Hulett must consent. Under an agreement between him and Cashman made in August, Hulett may withdraw his guilty plea and proceed to trial if he would be held in prison longer than 90 days.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140308/1009&theme=

A_Wanderer said:
What form of castration?

I was referring to chemical castration.

In the reading I've done it does reduce recidivism in specific cases. Offenders that are driven purely for sexual gratification. It can effectively lower their sex drive.

For a large number of sex offenders though reducing sex drive isn't really the issue.

Those who are chemically castrated are still functional they just have lower testosterone levels.

They said last night that there will be a protest Saturday.

I think, also, that it is a good call by O'Reilly in that it should not be a left/right thing.

Haven't read through all of this thread yet - what do you all think about the judges brother in law being a very influential man in vermont?

(I'll get some articles and such when I can, I' mbusy at themoment)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/26/judge.molester.ap/index.html

BURLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- A judge who was widely vilified for giving a child molester a 60-day jail term imposed a new sentence Thursday, increasing the man's prison time to three to 10 years.

Governor not satisfied

Hulett and his lawyer accepted the longer sentence. Under the original agreement, Hulett could have opted for a trial if a jail term of more than 90 days was imposed.

Douglas said he considered the new sentence to still be too lenient considering the crime.

"It's 18 times 60 days, so it's certainly an improvement," the governor said. "Personally, I think it's inadequate for a crime of that magnitude, but it is certainly better than the first decision."

Attorney General William Sorrell had also hoped for longer than three years, but he praised the judge for making the change. "I would have rather seen it be a longer sentence as a message to other would-be offenders, but I think Judge Cashman is big enough to change course," he said.

The victim's family left the courtroom without comment.

Hulett's lawyer, Mark Kaplan, said he thought the sentence was fair, adding, "I think it makes sense under the circumstances."

Back
Top Bottom