Judge No Longer Believes In Punishment, Sentences Rapist To 60 Days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:

Could you explain further?

Sure, I was responding to BluRmGrl and UberBeaver. I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.

DrTeeth said:

Sure, I was responding to BluRmGrl and UberBeaver. I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.

:up: Got it.

DrTeeth said:
I have nothing but contempt for the act of rape and this includes rape in prisons, or rape used to teach people (judges) a lesson, no matter what the victim has done.

Let me preface by saying that I am in NO WAY trying to antagonize, provoke, or otherwise prod you into an argument - as a matter of fact, I completely understand and respect your view on any kind of retalitory violence. My comments were really just a gut-reaction response... But it does lead me to question: what IS an ethical, balanced punishment for the offender? And what about the judge?

Like I said, I'm not trying to provoke -- I'm just really curious about what other people think should be done with the accused.

What is the legal precedent in VT for rape?

Have we watched a judge simply take matters into his own hands (i.e., rewrite law from the bench)?

That is disgusting. I don't believe that people like that can be rehabilitated. They should lock him up and throw away the key. A short sentence would be bad enough for her parents to have to deal with, but no punishment at all? Shocking.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343289&nav=4QcS

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- "District Court Judge Edward Cashman is standing by the 60-day minimum sentence he imposed on a man convicted of having repeated sexual contact with a young girl.

The goal in handing down the sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston is the long-term protection of the public from a man Cashman considers to be a greater threat to re-offend if he does not receive immediate sex-offender treatment, the judge wrote.

Cashman said in court documents filed Tuesday that he would have required more jail time for Hulett if he could have received sex offender treatment in jail.

"Sentencing is not the end of a problem," he wrote. "It should be the start of a solution."

Hulett received a combined sentence of a 10-year minimum to a maximum of life in prison for his conviction on two charges of aggravated sexual assault and a lesser offense, with all but 60 days suspended.

"The court maximized the long-term public safety protection at the cost of what now appears as being 'soft' on child molesters," Cashman wrote. "At sentencing, the court viewed the defendant as a dangerous man, likely to engage in future crime unless he has proper and timely treatment."

The maximum sentence of life in prison "sought to ensure public safety should Mr. Hulett fail in or refuse treatment during the first 10-year term," Cashman wrote.

Cashman's decision has been condemned by Gov. James Douglas, who said he was appalled by it. Republican and Democratic lawmakers are calling for legislation with mandatory minimum sentences for sex crimes.

One state senator is urging his impeachment. "This guy has got to go," said state Sen. Wendy Wilton, R-Rutland. "People believe he has flipped his lid."

House Republicans on Tuesday introduced a resolution calling on Cashman to resign."

MrsSpringsteen said:

Cashman's decision has been condemned by Gov. James Douglas, who said he was appalled by it. Republican and Democratic lawmakers are calling for legislation with mandatory minimum sentences for sex crimes.

One state senator is urging his impeachment. "This guy has got to go," said state Sen. Wendy Wilton, R-Rutland. "People believe he has flipped his lid."

House Republicans on Tuesday introduced a resolution calling on Cashman to resign."

:up:

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343289&nav=4QcS

The goal in handing down the sentence on Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston is the long-term protection of the public from a man Cashman considers to be a greater threat to re-offend if he does not receive immediate sex-offender treatment, the judge wrote.

Does he not read? Does he not know that there is no such thing as treatment for sex offenders. What a joke this guy is. He can't possibly be this clueless.

I'm not sure Headache really wanted the judge to feel the physical pain, but get acquainted with the concept of justice denied for a wrong-doer.

I agree with castration as punishment for rape...you misuse it, ya lose it! And that only because rape is as much psychological as it is physical...a victim's body heals much faster than the mind. If I remember my biology correctly, you remove that particluar part, and the hormone responsible for sexual urges is gone. Of course, on the other hand, I suppose that someone could be "so far gone" as to not need urging from a sexual impulse to desire to perpetrate the crime....but that's a whole 'nother story. As much as I buck against the idea of my tax dollars paying the check for the welfare of this cretin for the rest of his days, I do hear that prison is hell on earth for child molesters.....they are at the bottom of every pecking order. If he must be allowed to live, he should get a minimum 5 years for each time he violated that girl. But that's just me. :)

I think that there is a lot of support for Sharia type law if we began using emotional responses in place of common law.

Heres one for you, what do people think about rape as a mechanism for gene transmission? Studies from war zones have shown that pregnacy resulting from rape is comparatively high, coupled with the many instances of forced copulation within the animal kingdom all the way up to primates is there room to consider it as a form of sexual behaviour - however morally abhorent.

A lot of explanations pushed about seem to put the whole thing down on Freudian repressed urges or exclusively power in place of any natural cause. If it is really non-sexual then why do male perpetrators get errections to do it?

This in no way excuses these acts which are a gross violation of rights, it is a pause for thought at the behavioural causes of it, ultimate responsibility rests upon the indiviudal and they should be punished according to deed and circumstance. The logic of letting someone off because it was behavioural would extend to every single possible action. That does not sit and we can have a system where rights are protected by people upholding individual responsibilities.

Castration from all I've read doesn't stop a child molester. They may no longer be able to abuse in the same way but they will continue to victimize.

redkat said:
Castration from all I've read doesn't stop a child molester. They may no longer be able to abuse in the same way but they will continue to victimize.

I agree with that

Rape is violence and hatred, I don't and can't think of it as anything but that

And this judge is a disgrace

You know i am sick of reading about these monsters in the news. Thats all i seem to have read about lately, first a 6yr old, a 3 yr old and now a 12 week old baby! It sickens me, i wish i could do something!!

A_Wanderer said:
If it is really non-sexual then why do male perpetrators get errections to do it?

Because they get aroused by perpetrating a violent act. Just replace violence for what arouses a normal man.

Rape is violence and hatred carried out by a sex act, it is still non-sexual. Most men aren't turned on and aroused at the thought of having sex with someone against their will.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113...nSXKLFH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

"Cashman, 62, is a big, burly, balding and bearded figure, and a strait-laced ex-military man. Soon after he was appointed to the Vermont District Court bench in 1982 by a Republican governor, Cashman and his wife dropped out of their square dancing group because he feared it was unjudgelike.

"I can't do the same things everyone else does," he said in an interview several years ago, describing the life of a judge as monk-like.

State Sen. Richard Sears, a Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, wondered if such distancing led to the sentencing decision. "Have we isolated our judiciary so much that they can't see what public reaction (would be) to a sentence like that?" he asked.

Cashman's early years as a judge were marked by complaints that he was insensitive to the concerns of female victims of abuse and that he unfairly favored fathers in custody cases. But those concerns seemed to have vanished by 2001 when Cashman won a new six-year term by a legislative vote of 137-15.

Sen. Vincent Illuzzi, a Republican who is also a prosecutor, said the criticism that Cashman is a lenient judge and should be thrown out of office is "contrary to his judicial philosophy and career."

"Over the years, if there's been criticism of Judge Cashman, it has been he has been overly harsh on offenders when it comes to sentences and conditions of probation," Illuzzi said.

In Cashman's most-publicized case before this one, he threw Arthur and Geneva Yandow in jail after they refused to help prosecutors make a case against their son, a suspect in a rape. The parents said it would violate their Roman Catholic beliefs; Cashman, himself a Catholic, argued otherwise. "

i saw this on the news the other day

so......rehabilitation for this reapist instead of jail time

so what about the little girl......is vermont goin to be using some of its tax dollars and resources to rehabilitate her?

what was said? i read most of this thread but im just wondering who will rehabilitate her?

what happened to her will rear its ugly head over and over and over again in her life.
it will manifest in every realm of her being for as long as she lives

the judge is a tool

2d man accused of assaulting girl

By Associated Press | January 16, 2006

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- The girl who was the victim in a child sex abuse case in which the perpetrator got a minimum sentence of 60 days also was abused by a second man, authorities have alleged.

That revelation is the latest twist in a controversy surrounding Judge Edward Cashman's sentencing of Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston, who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the girl from the age of 6 to when she was 10.

Derek Kimball, 33, of Hinesburg, whom authorities describe as a friend of Hulett's, was arrested in October and is charged with sexual assault on a victim less than 10 years of age, and lewd and lascivious conduct with a child. He was later released on $25,000 bond and a series of conditions, including that he not contact the victim or any girls under the age of 16. He could face up to life in prison if convicted. Kimball's case is being handled by Judge Michael Kupersmith.

Cashman sentenced Hulett on Jan. 4 to 60 days to 10 years, along with two other suspended sentences. At the sentencing hearing, the judge said state Corrections Department officials had told him that Hulett would not receive sex-offender treatment while in prison because he was deemed a low risk to re-offend.

The judge said he worried that without treatment, Hulett would emerge from prison more likely to commit new crimes. He imposed a long list of stringent conditions on when and how Hulett could be released, including that he get sex-offender treatment, setting the stage potentially for a life sentence.

Conservative talk-radio and cable television personalities around the country have seized on the 60-day minimum sentence in recent days. Some Vermont newspapers have called in editorials for Cashman to step down or to be removed from the bench.

The media coverage has been criticized by some who have studied the case. Republican Representative Michael Kainen, a lawyer and the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee in the Vermont House, said Friday, ''If it were accurately reported, I think there would have been a little less furor."

That comment came two days after Human Services Secretary Michael Smith said the Corrections Department would shift gears and offer Hulett sex offender treatment while in prison. That prompted prosecutors on Friday to file court papers asking Cashman to reconsider the sentence.

Court papers in Kimball's case say the girl told investigators that both Kimball and Hulett had sexually assaulted her in a number of separate incidents.

Detectives met with Kimball at his job at the Chittenden Solid Waste District in South Burlington on Oct. 7, according to court papers. During the interview, Kimball acknowledged the abuse and was arrested, according to the detectives' accounts in the court affidavit

A_Wanderer said:
Heres one for you, what do people think about rape as a mechanism for gene transmission? Studies from war zones have shown that pregnacy resulting from rape is comparatively high, coupled with the many instances of forced copulation within the animal kingdom all the way up to primates is there room to consider it as a form of sexual behaviour - however morally abhorent.

Rapists don't deserve to have progeny. The last thing this world needs is a new generation who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to rape and abuse women and children.

Convicted rapists should be castrated. It may not stop the urge, but it'll definitely prevent pregnancy and passing those genes onto the next generation. It'll also serve as a major stigma and a warning to anyone else stupid enough to try it.

Back OT, this judge should be removed from office, and his salary should pay for counseling for that poor little girl. He may as well have slapped her in the face with that pathetic sentence he gave her attacker. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom