John Lennon: 26 years ago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
It's hard to believe it's been 26 years ago since John Lennon was shot dead. Do you remember where you were when you heard about it??? Many of you are probably too young but I'm sure some of you remember. A sad night indeed.

Since you are asking: Where have you been?

I'm too young.
Would've been interesting how he would've developed.

Harry Vest said:
It's hard to believe it's been 26 years ago since John Lennon was shot dead. Do you remember where you were when you heard about it??? Many of you are probably too young but I'm sure some of you remember. A sad night indeed.

I was at the bus stopin the morning. I was in middle school at the time. I remember coming home after school finding my mother in the middle of the living room in tears.

I don't remember hearing about it right at the time (I was 9) but I do remember seeing the cover story about it in Time shortly afterwards, recognizing him as one of the Beatles and asking my father why anyone would want to kill a rock star, which made no sense to me. I guess I was too young for it to be a "time stood still" moment though; maybe if I'd had siblings old enough or parents young enough to be Beatles fans it would've made more of an impression.

I was old enough to remember. I think I was home and heard it on the news :scratch:

R.I.P. :sad:
John-Lennon-Legend-01.jpg

I was still six years away from being born, but somehow I still feel a terrible sadness when I realize that he isn't here.

Despite not having grown up with the music of the Beatles and his solo material (I heard it when I was young, I mean I wasn't around when it was released), it has affected my life. Lennon was truly a transcendent mind, and although I never knew what the world was like with him in it, it seems to me it would somehow be much better if he were around.

John, you're missed.

I'll never forget seeing the headline in the paper the day after the killing. It was one of the most traumatic events of my life. :sad: :sad:

I remember seeing the news on the TV, and being totally shocked. :(

I remember very vividly Just like Starting Over being Number 1 for yonks to be replaced by Bryan Ferry with Jealous Guy very soon after and it being Number 1 here for months.....

I was 14 and remember everything. I was in my room listening to the radio (KMET in LA) and the DJ (Jack Snyder I think) said something about John Lennon being shot. He was crying and hard to understand but I got "murdered in NYC" and "deranged fan." I started to cry too and ran to the kitchen to tell my mom. She said something like "oh shut the fuck up!" but when she turned on the TV, a special report was on and it was confirmed. Her face went pale and she looked absolutely stunned. It was someone from her generation, someone she admired and grew up listening too.

I spent the rest of that night listening to people call in to KMET, some sobbing, some angry. In between calls, they played John Lennon and Beatles songs...mom and I spent the next 3 or 4 days watching news reports and memorials.

Even years later, I still get choked up hearing Imagine. Once in the grocery store, I almost had to leave it hit me so hard :(

Bono's American Wife said:

Even years later, I still get choked up hearing Imagine. Once in the grocery store, I almost had to leave it hit me so hard :(

It's one of my all time fave songs, and I too get choked up every time I hear it. It's even hard to sing along to. :hug:

I was only 6 years old at the time but I remember every detail from when I heard it on the radio the next morning on my way to 1st grade to watching it on the news later that night at the dinner table with my family. His music was a huge part of my childhood before and after his death.

I still want to cry everytime I realize that he's not here anymore and think about what we all lost that night. :sad:

I was 17 and on a road trip on the East coast visiting colleges with my Dad. We had stopped in Doylestown, PA and had spent the night at my uncle's house.

My younger cousin, Mary Pat, came into my room the next morning, sat on my bed and told me what had happened. I spent the rest of the trip glued to the car radio listening to tributes and Lennon interviews. Double Fantasy had recently been released and they must have played Watching the Wheels, Woman, Starting Over, and Beautiful Boy a hundred thousand times. And each time it broke your heart.

I still miss the voice of John Lennon.

R.I.P.

I was 13 when it happened. I remember wondering why anyone would want to kill someone who made such wonderful music. I went to he roller rink with my best friend either the very next day or sometime during that week, and I remember everyone skating around the rink to Starting Over, which immediately shot to No. 1 on the charts and was played everywhere. The beginning of that song still sends chills down my spine.

It was on my 7th birthday (It was already Dec 9th here in australia). I remember that all of a sudden nobody really cared that it was my birthday, but i wasn't quite sure why. Of course as I got a little older I realised what an historic day it was and why a 7 year olds' birthday was not really that important!
I agree its hard to believe it was 26 years ago - its a reminder that i'm getting older too!!
RIP John :heart:

I saw the Happy Xmas/war is over vid last night, it's much harder to stomach than just listening on the radio - all those photos of John and Sean :sad: :sad:

It's worse with Beautiful Boy, all those things he planned to do and he never got to do them:( :(
May God Rest his gifted soul

I was 13 at the time. I was getting ready for school and listening to the radio. The DJ kept playing Beatles and John Lennon songs. It was then announced that Mr. Lennon had been shot and killed by a "deranged fan."

I was shocked and saddened. I was much too young to remember the Beatles hey day, but I knew something greatly tragic and senseless occurred.

And I think "Beautiful Boy" and "Woman" are two of the most beautifully-crafted songs ever.

I was 16. Was watching the Monday Night Football game (dolphins and patriots?), when Howard Cosell came on and announced John had been shot and killed.

Utterly devastating. I had had all JL's albums...some on 8-track!...and was a White Album freak that year. Didn't go to school the rest of the week.

[This is bad, but i still have more dreams about JL than i do about my passed-away dad.]

What happened here,
As the New York sunset disappeared?
I found an empty garden among the flagstones there.
Who lived here?
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot,
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop.
And now it all looks strange.
It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain.
And what's it for,
This little empty garden by the brownstone door?
And in the cracks along the sidewalk nothing grows no more.
Who lived here?
And we are so amazed
We're crippled and we're dazed....
A gardener like that one, no one can replace.

And I've been knocking, but no one answers.
And I've been knocking, most all the day.
Oh and I've been calling ,oh hey, hey, Johnny!
Can't you come out to play?

And through their tears,
Some say he farmed his best in younger years.
But he'd have said that roots grow stronger, if only he could hear.
Who lived there?
Now we pray for rain, and with every drop that falls.....
We hear, we hear your name.....

And I've been
knocking, but no one answers.
And I've been knocking, most all the day.
Oh and I've been calling ,oh hey, hey, Johnny!
Can't you come out to play,In your empty garden?Johnny?
Can't you come out to play, in your empty garden?

Of all the tributes that came out, Elton John's is still my fave and the only one that chokes me up to this day. He is Sean Lennon's godfather.

^ I've never heard that before. Very beautiful.

I was only 1 when it happened but I grew up listening to The Beatles because my Mom is a big fan.

My husband and I got the chance to see the new Cirque show "Love" in Las Vegas last month and I found it very moving. Listening to some of those songs and wondering what John and George would have thought about it all just brought tears to my eyes. If any of you get a chance to see it make sure you do.

I was only 10 when he died, but I remember it as a sad day. I didn't become a big Beatle fan until I was a teenager, but the Beatles and Lennon's music helped shape who I am.

john-lennon-peace.jpg

I was driving home at the time that I heard the news on the radio. I still live in that same area of the city, and there isn't a single time that I drive down that particular spot of road that I don't think of that moment.

Back
Top Bottom