John Kerry said what? My mind is officially made up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Please, please tell me John Kerry did not say that Moqtada al-Sadr was a "LEGITIMATE" voice in Iraq.................

Anyone listen to NPR? Did he really say it? Am I going insane, but did the Democratic Candidate for President just say that a man who has been charged by the recognized Iraqi court system as a MURDERER of another muslim cleric was "LEGITIMATE"? Did he just say that the man who has called upon Iraqi's to kill Americans say that this 30-year old who claims that 9/11 was a "Gift from GOD" is "Legitimate"?

I give up! I sincerely give up. Who the :censored: is advising him? Does huis campaign read the :censored:ing news? It is not that hard to keep up with it....go to GOOGLE NEWS. Does he have a freaking policy advisor or someone on the campaign that follows this stuff?

I am sorry....there is not a chance in the world that I can vote for this man. NO WAY.

Well, I just heard it from the horses mouth. He did say it....then thought better of it and said let me take back the word legitimate. I can just picture the aid sitting next to him FREAKING out saying NO NO NO....

I am scratching my head. Does he have a clue about Sadr and the newspaper that was shut down?

:mad:

The article in that blog fails to mention that he attempted to "take back the word legitimate".

People aside...you can start a thread to discuss their points or their humor.

This is bothersome. I listened to it on the radio....I heard the clip. Characterizing SADR as legitimate is so wrong.

Dreadsox said:
People aside...you can start a thread to discuss their points or their humor.

This is bothersome. I listened to it on the radio....I heard the clip. Characterizing SADR as legitimate is so wrong.

Ok yes his wording I won't agree with but do you honestly, as they put it, think Kerry is defending this man's behaviour?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ok yes his wording I won't agree with but do you honestly, as they put it, think Kerry is defending this man's behaviour?

This man has been in the press for a month. He has called for the killing of Americans. He has killed one of the heads of his religion, and reportedly attempted to kill the one leader who has called on the Shiaa's to remain peaceful. He started his own government during the fall of Saddam.

If you want to be President, fine, but in my mind it is 100% clear that he is NOT up to date. This is a foolish choice of words. Absolutely it is clear in my mind, that he is not surrounding himself with people who are up to date on world events. If I, can go to websites like the CFR site and educate myself on the topics surrounding Iraq, you would think that he would have a policy advisor preparing him for the "tough "questions.

Sadr is responsible for dead Americans and supposedly (NOTE I AM NOT CERTAIN OF THE VALIDITY OF THIS) they are now holding Americans as POWs under his instructions.

Dread.

I went to the NPR site and listened to the interview.

The extended interview has the quote you mention.

it can be found here.

in the same breath, he says he is NOT legitimate.

W mis-speaks almost everytime he opens his mouth.

I would encouage everyone to listen to the interview.

Can you imagine W giving an eighteen minute interview, taking tough questions. Now that would be really good listening.

I will go listen when I am more awake...but I NEVER heard him say he is not legitimate.

I did say he wanted to take it back. I can picture his advisor waving franticly NO NO NO as it was a phone interview if I am not mistaken.

deep said:
Can you imagine W giving an eighteen minute interview, taking tough questions. Now that would be really good listening.

As long as Dick Cheney is by his side and he doesn't have to say anything publically, he's a happy camper.

Melon

martha said:
I haven't seen anything of this in my newspaper.

Me either--and my local newspaper is definitely conservative, they endorsed Bush in 2000 and will do it again. It's not the "liberal media" around here.

nbcrusader said:
Newspapers publish only a fraction of what is out there.

The LA Times is very selective in how it presents the news.

So is my paper. They do *not* like Kerry. But it's also very sensationalist. The headlines were about the mosque getting hit in Iraq, complete with a gory picture of killings. Two natives of Alabama were killed in Iraq yesterday. One of them was from my mother's home town, Opelika, the town right next to Auburn. I'm starting to hear complaints like "I'm afraid to pick up the paper now".

I have not heard the quote, nor will I go looking for it, but I have to ask, would it be absurd for a 'foreigner' to characterize people like Pat Robertson, Al Sharpton, or Lewis Farrakhan as "legitimate" voices of America?

I only ask because I find the word legitimate very ambiguous.

The most basic definition is "authentic" which you can pretty much chyaracterize any human being as.

I weigh what Kerry is saying versus what Bush is doing. The only thing I see Bush doing is tripping over his own feet in Iraq. I won't even mention the words domestic issues here.

For me there is no choice.

ouizy said:

I weigh what Kerry is saying versus what Bush is doing. The only thing I see Bush doing is tripping over his own feet in Iraq. I won't even mention the words domestic issues here.

For me there is no choice.

:up:

We would not be better off ignoring Sadr, but if you would like me to get radical we would be better off changing our assassination laws.

If the US's goals in Iraq were really to rid the country of Saddam Hussein and his close loyal followers, we could have done that with tactical, surgical strikes that bombed these men from above.

We would not need to risk the lives of thousands of Americans in a guerilla war that is now taking place on the ground by disparate groups, of which we are not even sure if they are friends or foes.

This 'after-war' war was not planned for and now we are stuck knee deep in shit.

There are two ways out of this:

One, we pack up and leave, thus leaving the country a wasteland that we created, or two we stay the course (which will take much longer than Bush will be in office) and we risk thousands of lives, and millions in resources in a country where we are not wanted by its citizens, its rivals, or its neighbors.

A lose-lose situation, and one that was created by our government.

LOL.

I meant that sarcastically.

I think Sadr is, in fact, a voice we should be listening to. We should not be ignoring people like him. Iraqi people are listening to him, and for that reason so should we--so we know what people are thinking and hearing, so we can hopefully defuse dangerous situations before it is too late.

I think that is probably what John Kerry meant.

And, ouiz, you're right about this being a no-win situation. I hate to make comparisons to Vietnam, because no doubt our troops have done a lot of good, too. And I have humanitarian leanings, and I love to hear that schools have been reopened and hospitals repaired and the like. But I wonder if we aren't squandering all the progress if we made, if these few small steps forward actually turn out to be some huge steps back. It's becoming painfully obvious that the architects of this war really thought there would be no Iraqi insurgency, that they would just roll over and die at the sight of the first plane or tank, that the Shia and the Sunni and the Kurds would all of a sudden start playing nice. I'm not seeing how there were plans made for an afterwar, which is especially shameful, since I know lots of people thought this was a very real possibility.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
I did say he wanted to take it back. I can picture his advisor waving franticly NO NO NO as it was a phone interview if I am not mistaken.

Dread, just listen to it on the link deep provided. You've got a quote out of context. It was nothing like you are picturing.

paxetaurora said:

I think Sadr is, in fact, a voice we should be listening to. We should not be ignoring people like him. Iraqi people are listening to him, and for that reason so should we--so we know what people are thinking and hearing, so we can hopefully defuse dangerous situations before it is too late.

I think that is probably what John Kerry meant.

Absolutely. This is exactly how I took the quote and I think the right are going overboard with this quote.

paxetaurora said:

A voice we should be listening to, or a person whose influence we should understand.

If he is spewing out anti-American, anti-semetic rhetoric, I'm not sure how much "listening" we should do.

nbcrusader said:

A voice we should be listening to, or a person whose influence we should understand.

If he is spewing out anti-American, anti-semetic rhetoric, I'm not sure how much "listening" we should do.

I "listen" to Bush's rhetoric it doesn't mean I believe or follow it. I listen to understand.

nbcrusader said:
If you are putting GWB on al-Sadr's level, then there is no point to "listening" to either of them....

Oh now you're stretching...

No I was just defining the word listen. I believe one can listen without prescribing to their logic or beliefs.

joyfulgirl said:

Dread, just listen to it on the link deep provided. You've got a quote out of context. It was nothing like you are picturing.

I listened to the link. If you listen further he basically says this man should not be arrested.

The fact that the words left his mouth, and that he corrected himself. I said that in my post.

He is not a voice, nor a legitimate one, that ANYONE who represents me should be listening too.

I first posted about al-Sadr last year. The administration waited TOO long to deal with him.

Whoever Kerry has surrounded himself with should be fired.

Back
Top Bottom