John Kerry Officially Loses the Nomination by Dropping the F-Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jenny-
The guys a snob.
After meeting you I could see you as a Gephardt, Dean or Liberman fan before this fellow.

Db9

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Right. Honesty in the form of a four letter word has no place in Rolling Stone.

It's just a word. Four letters arranged in a certain fashion, a word meant to express anger in this case. You defended Bush when he made up words, when he botched words, and when he used the word 'crusade'. Well now it's time to attack the other side over a word.

Thank you.

anitram and Sicy's posts made excellent points, too.

I fail to see what disrespect was shown here. All Kerry said, in his own words, was that he felt the actions taken by the administration were incredibly screwed up. And he was saying it in a magazine interview. It's not like he walked right into the Oval Office and said it directly to Bush and the rest of the administration's faces. It's not like he even directed it toward any Bush supporters.

You want to talk about disrespect-I personally found it pretty disrespectful of Bush to sit there and say, not long after 9/11, when we were heading into Afghanistan, that if we didn't support America in this that meant that we were automatically siding with the terrorists. At least Kerry didn't stereotype Bush supporters, didn't say that they were all stupid or whatever to continue to support Bush after the failure of Iraq. But I guess it was okay for Bush to say that, since he didn't use any swear words while saying it.

And the timing...what's wrong with the timing? It's getting close to election time again, you know the mudslinging's gonna start, you know this kind of thing will go on...so what's the problem there?

Also, thank you, verte...once again, diamond, I would like to stress this: Just because I have no problem with someone uttering a swear word, that does NOT mean that my morality is "slipping". My morals are still very intact. And in regards to not listening to parents...my parents actually also don't see the big deal about this. They've never understood why people get in such an uproar over these kinds of things. So...what's your view on that?

Not to mention, there's people who swear constantly and have much better morals (i.e., Bono, for example) than those who probably haven't swore nearly as often (i.e., some of the supposedly "holier-than-thou" religious people).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Thank you.

You want to talk about disrespect-I personally found it pretty disrespectful of Bush to sit there and say, not long after 9/11, when we were heading into Afghanistan, that if we didn't support America in this that meant that we were automatically siding with the terrorists. At least Kerry didn't stereotype Bush supporters, didn't say that they were all stupid or whatever to continue to support Bush after the failure of Iraq. But I guess it was okay for Bush to say that, since he didn't use any swear words while saying it.

<snip>

Not to mention, there's people who swear constantly and have much better morals (i.e., Bono, for example) than those who probably haven't swore nearly as often (i.e., some of the supposedly "holier-than-thou" religious people).

Angela

I didn't think Bush should have said that about people who disagreed with his Administration. Personally I supported the strike in Afghanistan because of 9/11 and the Taliban, but my own sister disagreed with me. Fine. The fact is, intolerance is intolerance and that's what we're against, because terrorism is based on intolerance and democracy is based on tolerance.
And I agree about Bono, morality and holier-than-thous. I'm related to holier-than-thous who are as racist as the Ku Klux Klan. These people are about as moral or spiritual as basketballs. Bono may use the f-word but I wouldn't know about the AIDS crisis or the water crisis in Africa if it weren't for him.

Last edited:
diamond said:

yes yes Verte and for nearly 6 millenia we jack ass kids have refused to listen and honor our parents..and ironically history has repeated itself:huh: :hmm:.
Think about that for a moment.:)
Maybe its about high time we connect the dots and change for better and live our lives according to
the precepts principles and
The
Gospel
according
to
Diamond:wink:?:dance:

DB9

People have generally honored their parents for 6,000 years, or however long human beings have been around. But things change. Technology changes, life changes..........OK, let's ban the printing press, the rise of the middle class, the cities, the universities, the use of vernacular languages, religious revolutions, and contentedly work as serfs on the lord's manor.
Yeah, right..................I may go to play like a medieval character on the weekends, but do I really want to go back and live the life of one? Not on your life. If I did pneumococcal pneumonia would have killed me at the age of six. Penicillin saved my life. No, I don't think I want to change that.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I didn't think Bush should have said that about people who disagreed with his Administration. Personally I supported the strike in Afghanistan because of 9/11 and the Taliban, but my own sister disagreed with me. Fine. The fact is, intolerance is intolerance and that's what we're against, because terrorism is based on intolerance and democracy is based on tolerance.

Mmhm.

I personally disagreed with the Afghanistan thing, mainly because I just didn't like the idea of causing more chaos in a country that already had serious problems, and to me it seemed like we were blaming the whole country for the mistakes of a few-I saw it as us stooping to the level of those who hurt us. I wanted the terrorists punished, but not through attacking the country. But that's just me. At the same time, I do understand that people were still reeling from the attacks and it's only natural that they would support us going into Afghanistan the way we did. So while I didn't agree, I do see why some supported it.

Originally posted by verte76
And I agree about Bono, morality and holier-than-thous. I'm related to holier-than-thous who are as racist as the Ku Klux Klan. These people are about as moral or spiritual as basketballs. Bono may use the f-word but I wouldn't know about the AIDS crisis or the water crisis in Africa if it weren't for him.

Exactly.

And well said with your other post, too. :up:.

Angela

Last edited:
I supported the strike in Afghanistan mainly because the liberal Moslems wanted the Taliban out of power. They caused an unbelievable amount of suffering. True, Afghanistan is a mess mainly because of two decades of civil war. It's always been sort of a "no-man's land", and the whole country didn't deserve a bunch of attacks. I remember reading a horrific report from the World Health Organization about the health situation in that country. I personally felt like they were much better off without the Taliban, and so did Sultana, the feminist main character in Jean Sasson's "Princess Trilogy" from Saudi Arabia. She regularly called the U.S. for war news. She personally knew a woman who'd escaped Afghanistan and went to Saudi Arabia to work, which she wasn't allowed to do in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Yikes! I didn't mean to rip off the thread! Any more comments on John Kerry's use of the f-word? I think nbcrusader was correct in saying that it was a violation of the generally accepted decorum for presidential political debate. But this is not really a big deal, I'm not exactly shocked at a candidate doing an interview in Rolling Stone--that's been going on for a long time--and I'm not exactly shocked that the "f-word" was used in that publication. Presidential politics changes along with everything else.
Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Back
Top Bottom