Joel Osteen's Wife Asked to Leave Airplane Flight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I won't post my personal comments upfront on this story. I just wanted to pass it on for your amusement. :wink:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051221/ap_on_re_us/pastor_s_wife_disturbance

By PAM EASTON, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 1 minute ago

HOUSTON - The wife of the pastor of the nation's largest church was asked to leave a plane after she failed to comply with a flight attendant's instructions, the FBI said Tuesday.

Houston Lakewood Church pastor Joel Osteen, his wife, Victoria, and their two children boarded a Continental Airlines flight from Houston to Vail, Colo., Monday. The plane's door had been closed when Victoria Osteen and a flight attendant had a disagreement.

"She failed to comply with the flight attendant's instructions, and they were asked to leave the flight," FBI spokeswoman Luz Garcia said without elaborating on the disagreement.

The FBI reviewed a report from Continental after the incident, Garcia said. No charges will be filed, she said.

The flight was delayed more than an hour while the Osteens' luggage was retrieved, Garcia said. The family took another flight to Colorado, where church spokesman Don Iloff said they were skiing Tuesday.

Iloff called the disagreement with the flight attendant "minor" but would not say what happened.

"In semantics, they might have been asked to be removed," he said. "Really, it was more of a mutual thing."

Continental spokeswoman Julie King would not discuss the disagreement but said in a statement that the situation was resolved.

Osteen's sermons are broadcast across the country and his book "Your Best Life Now" has become a best seller. His church has more than 30,000 worshippers weekly and meets in a renovated arena where the Houston Rockets once played.

----------------------------------------------------------
:lmao:

Doesn't really seem like news. Without the content of the argument, it's just the fact that she's this preacher's wife that it even made print.

A similar thing happened with Robert Schuller from the Crystal Cathedral out in California? 1997 I think and he had to pay a fine and was sued by a flight attendant for assault.

Are we supposed to find this funny? Or newsworthy? Or some kind of discussion point?

Or just an attempt to point fun at someone you don't like?

i don't know why associated press prints this stuff

i am glad they did not think she said "bomb"
and shot her in the head five times

Well people are human and they make mistakes, have bad days, etc. So if the implication is that she had no business doing that or whatever because she's a famous pastor's wife, I don't agree with that. People cause problems on planes every day, anonymous people who don't make the news. I doubt that she holds herself out as being perfect.

hmmmmmm i find nothing really amusing here either...my brother is a Pilot for American Airlines and they have all kinds of nastiness aboard with people...especially serving of alcohol..people do ignorant crap all the time...who is she and even more who is Joel Olsteen??? I am Catholic now if the Pope makes a fool of himself drunk on a airline or some sort of nastiness that would be something I would lmao at...Susan

I don't really see the point of the story, either. This guy's wife isn't exactly a public figure. I'm not even sure Joel Osteen himself is that much of a public figure outside of his own town, or maybe in the state of Texas. I'd never even heard of him until now.

I could see it being a news story if it was about Pat Robertson or someone like that.

Re: Re: Joel Osteen's Wife Asked to Leave Airplane Flight

nbcrusader said:

What is amusing about this story?

Because they do not fit an acceptable brand of Christianity.

Just my guess.

Bono's shades said:
I don't really see the point of the story, either. This guy's wife isn't exactly a public figure. I'm not even sure Joel Osteen himself is that much of a public figure outside of his own town, or maybe in the state of Texas. I'd never even heard of him until now.

I could see it being a news story if it was about Pat Robertson or someone like that.

Well I am a native Texan and I don't know who the heck the guy is.....Susan

On a slow news day, they'll report just about anything.

One of the reasons why I get my news from the only source that counts:

The Onion.

I totally see the point of this and this woman is nutty. You have to do something totally crazy to get kicked off a plane -- I've never seen it happen and only once saw a flight attendant yell at a woman because she wouldn't sit down after the door was closed. Think about this -- you are a wife of a guy who is the head of a church that meets in an ARENA! 30,000-seat ARENA! And the money your husband makes from that allows you to hang out with the rich and famous in Vail, which is a vacation most people who go to that "church" probably can't afford. And you still find time to yell at the flight attendant so loudly and vigorously that you get kicked off a plane.

As I said in a previous thread, it's one thing to show up at church on Sunday and listen to people talk about Jesus. It's another thing to leave that church on Sunday and live your life as a follower of Jesus.

Or as nbcrusader said in a previous thread, "I think it was Keith Green who said, 'Going to church makes you a Christian like going to McDonald's makes you a cheeseburger.' "

I understand your point sharky, but even followers of Jesus do things like this, isn't that sort of the point also :) ? I consider myself one and I am certainly FAR from perfect-I've never done anything rude/inappropriate on a plane and never would but of course I make plenty of mistakes on a daily/hourly basis, I might be rude, in a bad mood, upset, whatever. I don't know if Mrs. Osteen holds herself up as being some perfect paragon of virtue and behavior, I would think not but I don't know of course.

I'm not defending her behavior but maybe it has nothing to do w/ her being a Christian.

The article says it was a "minor" incident and was more of a "mutual agreement" that she would leave, so who knows?

sharky said:
I totally see the point of this and this woman is nutty. You have to do something totally crazy to get kicked off a plane -- I've never seen it happen and only once saw a flight attendant yell at a woman because she wouldn't sit down after the door was closed. Think about this -- you are a wife of a guy who is the head of a church that meets in an ARENA! 30,000-seat ARENA! And the money your husband makes from that allows you to hang out with the rich and famous in Vail, which is a vacation most people who go to that "church" probably can't afford. And you still find time to yell at the flight attendant so loudly and vigorously that you get kicked off a plane.

My legs would be tired if I had just jumped to that many conclusions.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The article says it was a "minor" incident and was more of a "mutual agreement" that she would leave, so who knows?

That's what her PR guy said to lessen the blow. I would have said the same in his position. Heck, I would have said the same thing if I was Victoria. And indeed, that's exactly what she said!

-----------------------------------

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I know that many of you have seen the recent news report on our trip to Colorado. Let me begin by saying that I have received so many of your emails and notes encouraging me and expressing your love and support. Each one of you means so much to me and I love you all dearly.

Regardless of how some have portrayed the situation, please know that it was truly a minor misunderstanding and did not escalate into what you saw or read in the news. Contrary to those reports it was my choice to remove myself from the situation. Nonetheless, it was a most unfortunate event and I truly regret that it happened.

The last thing I would ever want to do is let any of you down. And I promise you that I did not act in any way that would cast a bad light on you, my family, Lakewood Church or our Lord Jesus Christ. I value the position that God has placed me in and I can assure you that I will always walk in love and integrity. While I am not perfect, I will always seek to be a peacemaker and seek the high road.

As many of you have told me, I know that God has me in the palm of His hand. My confidence in God is stronger than ever—and I know that He is faithful to His promises.

Thank you for standing with me and, in spite of what you’ve heard, thank you for believing the best in me. I know that God causes all things to work together for our good— and I truly believe that when faced with adversities we all emerge better and stronger than when we were before.

During this season, as we celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ, Joel and I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. May peace and happiness embrace all of us and may 2006 be your best year ever.

http://www.lakewood.cc/site/PageServer?pagename=letter_from_victoria

stammer476 said:
Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

I have no evidence either way. That being said, it's suspicious that he used the same language she used in her letter, making it an effort on all parties involved to have one message. Second, as someone who is in PR right now, if I had a situation like this, I would have done the same thing. Any PR person would do the same thing.

i suppose the reason for the posting of the article is that this couple holds themselves up as models of those who live their life in Christ -- and make a lot of $$$ doing so.

it points out a discrepancy between how they present themselves -- in order to make money -- and who they really are, which is flawed people just like the rest of us.

Irvine511 said:
i suppose the reason for the posting of the article is that this couple holds themselves up as models of those who live their life in Christ -- and make a lot of $$$ doing so.

it points out a discrepancy between how they present themselves -- in order to make money -- and who they really are, which is flawed people just like the rest of us.

I'll repeat myself: My legs would be tired if I had just jumped to that many conclusions.

stammer476 said:

I'll repeat myself: My legs would be tired if I had just jumped to that many conclusions.

why?

i personally don't care two figs about these people, and only know who Joel Olstein is because i've had bouts of insomnia.

but i think the conclusions i'm drawing about Jamila's reasons for posting are perfectly reasonable.

My apologies, I'm running on little sleep and am a tad crabby.

What, in my mind, is jumping to a conclusion is she is someone who "holds themselves up as models of those who live their life in Christ" and that this is done "in order to make money."

Honestly, I'm not familiar with this guy or his wife, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they're the Jimmy Swaggart type.

To call a spade a spade, I assumed think the original reason for the article was to make even more public the unfortunate situation of a wife of a person she doesn't consider part of real Christianity. To me, that's poor taste.

Now I'm the one jumping to conlusions. :wink:

stammer476 said:
My apologies, I'm running on little sleep and am a tad crabby.

aw, me too. i'm crabby as well, and have mountains of work to do -- see my journal for a bit of a bitch-fest!

;)

[q]What, in my mind, is jumping to a conclusion is she is someone who "holds themselves up as models of those who live their life in Christ" and that this is done "in order to make money."

Honestly, I'm not familiar with this guy or his wife, but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they're the Jimmy Swaggart type.[/q]

actually, i think they're more self-empowerment-through-Christ types. like, how faith in Jesus can help you get a better low-interest mortgage and help you communicate better with your estranged parents. they do sell lots of books, i think.

To call a spade a spade, I assumed think the original reason for the article was to make even more public the unfortunate situation of a wife of a person she doesn't consider part of real Christianity. To me, that's poor taste.

Now I'm the one jumping to conlusions. :wink:

given that this is FYM, not an inappropriate conclusion to draw!

;)

Back
Top Bottom