Joe Lieberman on "Axis of Evil"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the HORROR

The Fly
Detainee at the training camp for Liberals
Well this is a short post, but I just heard a comment from (sen?) Joe Lieberman on this and his comment was " I don't think these countries are the axis of evil, I think they ARE evil". It was a short clip on FOX News Channel just now.

Because this group has very thoughtful posts and replies, I would value your opinions on his comment either way.

I say good for you, Mr. Lieberman. Assuming he means their leadership's intentions and not the whole of the nations, of course.

------------------
"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

Sen. Lieberman isn't exactly your epitome of liberal Democrat. He openly has differed with the party on certain issues. Hence, I am not really surprised as to what he has said, although I would also not say that he is totally representative of the party itself. That would be like saying that the opinions of Sen. Jeffords of Vermont was representative of the Republican Party before he switched over. With that, I believe there was a Republican Congressman who was angered at Bush's "axis of evil" statement. I wish I remembered his name, but heard his statement on NBC.

I would be interested in hearing what other key Democrats have said in regards to this statement before I reserve any further judgment.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
With that, I believe there was a Republican Congressman who was angered at Bush's "axis of evil" statement. I wish I remembered his name, but heard his statement on NBC.

Chuck Hagel (R-Nebraska), usually very conservative and from a very conservative state.

All this talk of calling other countries evil is really nothing new for those of us over 30 and who can remember the Reagan era. He called Russia the "evil empire".

I wasn't really sure how to recieve that statement when I heard it because I haven't really seen much of Sen. Lieberman. The whole campaign was AL GORE and AL GORE and also some AL GORE. Perhaps, there is something to this Lieberman guy? Maybe I am just all warm and fuzzy whenever I hear democratic support of Bush.

So Melon, when is our boy Joe switching parties?

And when you say "key Democrats", please don't tell me you are referring to DICK Gephardt or Tom Dasshole
wink.gif

------------------
"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

Originally posted by the HORROR:

It's funny. In the U.K., the Tories have a substantial moderate wing (see John Major) and a substantial conservative wing (see Margaret Thatcher). They don't make any secret of it either. With Republicans, there is this constant attempt at "unity," and the moderate Republicans seem to be drowned out by the conservatives.

Yes, Lieberman does have his conservative elements, but he still has many Democratic elements to him as well. You'll have to ask him yourself one day why he is a Democrat over a Republican.

And when you say "key Democrats", please don't tell me you are referring to DICK Gephardt or Tom Dasshole
wink.gif

Hmm...this coming from a Republican VP named "DICK" and a Republican President named "BUSH." When "Dick" and "Bush" get together, it's bound to be messy.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

He has been compared to McCain, but he is usually more conservative than the Honorable Senator from Arizona. Hagel has been pushing a Bush-backed campaign finance reform package as an alternate to McCain-Feingold.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
He has been compared to McCain, but he is usually more conservative than the Honorable Senator from Arizona. Hagel has been pushing a Bush-backed campaign finance reform package as an alternate to McCain-Feingold.

~U2Alabama

Thank you U2Bama, I sense a little sarcasm in your voice towards McCain. Good for you
wink.gif

Originally posted by U2LA:
All this talk of calling other countries evil is really nothing new for those of us over 30 and who can remember the Reagan era. He called Russia the "evil empire".

Yeah, and it caused a great commotion in the press, if I recall.

It caused such a reaction then (as the "Axis of Evil" comment does know) because it is the exception, not the rule. Rather, over the last twenty years we've seen administrations go from "rogue states" to "states of concern", etc. We've seen politicians completely unwilling to call evil states "evil" for fear of upsetting people.

That said, Lieberman was right in his comments - though I STILL don't fully trust a guy who looks WAY too much like Senator Palpatine from The Phantom Menace:

new_portrait.jpg

movie_bg.jpg

Creepy, man. Creepy.
wink.gif

Originally posted by the HORROR:

You Know.. I'm not so sure that something like this isn't going on.. this time in favor of the Republicans.. I forget the name I heard being tossed around, but There was something sort of underground that I read of this sorts.. a Democrat possibly switching sides in the SEnate...

OFf to dig a bit more,

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by melon:
Hmm...this coming from a Republican VP named "DICK" and a Republican President named "BUSH." When "Dick" and "Bush" get together, it's bound to be messy.
wink.gif

Melon

biggrin.gif

LOL Melon
biggrin.gif

------------------

Comments like that (and I'm referring to the original cute soundbite since nobody outside of the US cares about Senator Lieberman) only serve to paint a big fat bullseye on the United States. Good luck.

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Comments like that (and I'm referring to the original cute soundbite since nobody outside of the US cares about Senator Lieberman) only serve to paint a big fat bullseye on the United States. Good luck.

I think the bull's-eye has been on us for a very long time.

Ian McDiarmid (the guy who plays Senator Palpatine) isn't creepy at all, he's a really nice guy. I spotted him at Starbucks once and asked for his autograph, not only did he give me that but he drew a smiley face on my napkin.

Really sweet guy.

Ant.

I'm sure McDiarmid is a great guy... and I've liked him in every movie I've seen him (see also: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Sleepy Hollow).

Now, in response to Klodomir:

Isn't it time to start erasing it, then? Or is it easier to erase your enemies?

Having a target on your chest isn't necessarily a bad thing: consider that cops
are probably quite often specifically targeted by criminals - because they're trying to enforce the law.

While nobody's perfect, I believe that there ARE good guys and bad guys. And I also believe bad guys target the good guys that are the biggest threat to their plans; hence, the attacks on NYC and DC, and not on Paris or Munich.

In this case, I HONESTLY believe we were targeted for doing more-or-less the right things (defending Israel, etc.). Thus we should NOT try to appease the thugs and ask them to stop targeting us.

We should engage them with overwhelming military force.

Only semi-funny, but anyway....

PRESS RELEASE

ANGERED BY SNUBBING, LIBYA, CHINA, SYRIA FORM "AXIS OF JUST AS EVIL"
Cuba, Sudan, Serbia Form "Axis of Somewhat Evil"; Other Nations Start Own
Clubs

Bitter after being snubbed for membership in the "Axis of Evil," Libya, China, and Syria today announced they had formed the "Axis of Just as Evil," which they said would be way eviler than that stupid Iran-Iraq-North Korea axis President Bush warned of his State of the Union address.

Axis of Evil members, however, immediately dismissed the new axis as having, for starters, a really dumb name. "Right. They are Just as Evil... in their dreams!" declared North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. "Everybody knows we're the best evils... best at being evil... we're the best." Diplomats from Syria denied they were jealous over being excluded, although they conceded they did ask if they could join the Axis of Evil.
"They told us it was full," said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. "An Axis can't have more than three countries," explained Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. "This is not my rule, it's tradition. In World War II you had Germany, Italy, and Japan in the evil Axis. So you can only have three. And a secret handshake. Ours is wicked cool."

THE AXIS PANDEMIC

International reaction to Bush's Axis of Evil declaration was swift, as within minutes, France surrendered.
Elsewhere, peer-conscious nations rushed to gain triumvirate status in what became a game of geopolitical chairs.

Cuba, Sudan, and Serbia said they had formed the "Axis of Somewhat Evil", forcing Somalia to join with Uganda and Myanmar in the "Axis of Occasionally Evil", while Bulgaria, Indonesia and Russia established the "Axis of Not So Much Evil Really As Just Generally Disagreeable."

With the criteria suddenly expanded and all the desirable clubs filling up, Sierra Leone, El Salvador, and Rwanda applied to be called the "Axis of Countries That Aren't the Worst But Certainly Won't Be Asked to
Host the Olympics";
Canada, Mexico, and Australia formed the "Axis of Nations That Are Actually Quite Nice But Secretly Have Nasty Thoughts About
America", while Spain, Scotland, and New Zealand established the "Axis of Countries That Be Allowed to Ask Sheep to Wear Lipstick."
"That's not a threat, really, just something we like to do," said Scottish Executive First Minister Jack McConnell.

While wondering if the other nations of the world weren't perhaps making fun of him, a cautious Bush granted approval for most axes, although he rejected the establishment of the "Axis of Countries Whose Names End in
'Guay," accusing one of its members of filing a false application. Officials from Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chadguay denied the charges.

Israel, meanwhile, insisted it didn't want to join any Axis, but privately, world leaders said that's only because no one asked them.

In this case, I HONESTLY believe we were targeted for doing more-or-less the right things (defending Israel, etc.).

Funding Israel is supporting terrorism.

Ethnic Clensing = Terrorism.

Supplying the forces that actively engage in it = Funding terrorism.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 02-14-2002).]

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Funding Israel is supporting terrorism.

[This message has been edited by DoctorGonzo (edited 02-14-2002).]

What exactly are you a "doctor" of, the soiling of toiletpaper?

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

FYI kids,
I got this from yesterdays USAToday paper: ( i will just include some of the highlights)

from the article:
AL GORE SIDES WITH BUSH ON 'AXIS OF EVIL' ACCUSATION

"There is value in calling evil by its name"-Gore

He then compared Bush's phrase to Ronald Reagan's calling the former Soviet Union an "evil empire" (sounds familiar U2LA)

" One should never underestimate the power of bold words coming from a president of United States"-Gore

But Gore also said Bush needs to show more respect to Americas allies. He said the administration shows "impatience and disdain toward NATO members. "We cannot bind them to us...if we take them lightly"-Gore

Gore stood with Bush on the need for "a final reckoning" with the government of Iraq, which he called "a virulent threat in a class by itself." Most Democrats, with the exception of Gore's running mate, (Lieberman), have been circumspect about expanding the war to Iraq.

(hmmmmmmm)

Also:

Looking to the future, Gore warned against ignoring terrorisms root causes-poverty, ignorance, and oppression he called "another axis of evil".

-thats all I wanted to take from the article, I admit I agree with Gore, funny his comments sound familiar to Lieberman's. Also kind of funny that ,according to the article, He and Lieberman are taking a different approach than most other Dems. Of course, draw your own conclusion to that.

I personally think he's been reading this forum
wink.gif

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Stop the ad hominem attacks and either challenge the point I made or say nothing at all.

YES SIR!
*salutes*

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom