Job growth up, unemployment drops even more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2: The decisions for the multibillion deficit were done before 9/11, i'm not sure if they were done before the decsion pro-war.

While i generrally agree with you that:
Typically, if unemployment is at its lowest levels possible, without any other information, you can obviously see that the Government has done at the very least ok in regards to the economy. On the reverse side, if Unemployment rates are enormously high without some outside crises, its most likely that the government has done some things poorly.

We should remember what was the "shape" of the Country when GWB became president and at this time there was less unemployment and less Deficite.

Of course we have to think of global effects but comparing these numbers to the last 30 years without thinking how it developed during his responsibility is no good idea.

Latest Poll Numbers

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/elections/article.adp?id=20040514085809990016

The polls out this week found Mr. Bush, by some measures, at the lowest point of his presidency. Only 46 percent of Americans told the Gallup Poll they approved of the way Mr. Bush was handling his job, and a majority, 51 percent, said they disapproved. Other polls had similar results. A poll by the Pew Research Center found that 44 percent of Americans approved of the president's handling of his job and 48 percent disapproved.

Those numbers alarm many of Mr. Bush's supporters, but Mr. Dowd said: "I always counsel people when we are ahead and behind that since this country is very divided, this thing is always going to be played by the 45-yard lines. And we are still in that place."

Perhaps most alarming for Mr. Bush is the public's assessment that things in the United States are not going particularly well, with only 33 percent of the respondents in the Pew poll saying they were satisfied with the way things were going in the country and 61 percent saying they were dissatisfied.

All this comes at a time when the public's support for the war in Iraq is rapidly fading. For the first time since the war began, a majority of respondents in the Gallup poll, 54 percent, said it was not worth going to war in Iraq; 44 percent said it was worth it.

Only 41 percent said they approved of the way Mr. Bush was handling the situation in Iraq, while nearly 6 in 10, or 58 percent, said they disapproved.

Klaus said:
STING2: The decisions for the multibillion deficit were done before 9/11, i'm not sure if they were done before the decsion pro-war.

While i generrally agree with you that:

We should remember what was the "shape" of the Country when GWB became president and at this time there was less unemployment and less Deficite.

Of course we have to think of global effects but comparing these numbers to the last 30 years without thinking how it developed during his responsibility is no good idea.

The reason I brought out the economic numbers from the past 30 years was to show that the current level of unemployment, which continues to drop, is actually very low.

The disaster that liberals like to paint the Bush Presidency with in regards to the economy simply does not match up with the facts.

When President Bush came into office, the economy had already been in sharp nose dive for 4 months. A month after being in office, the economy went into a recession for a full 6 months.

Bush got the economy going after it suffered an economic downturn and recession which started at the end of the Clinton administration.

Also the unemployment numbers in the last year of the Clinton administration were unrealistic to maintain consistently over any number of years. Such low unemployment made it hard for business's to find workers and caused inflation to start to rise.

Military spending, spending on homland security, money for Iraq and Afghanistan, rebuilding and recovering from 9/11, and the recession have all created the large deficit. Much of Bush's tax plans have helped the economy, which actually keeps the deficit from rising even more.

najeena said:
Remember the primary? Kerry is a great closer. Bush's chances fade with every passing day. This is my mantra, so I can sleep at night.

If Bush actually wins, what are you going to do?:wink:

New CNN/Gallup poll has Kerry leading by 5% points. This is why polls are stupid, they change day to day.

anitram said:
New CNN/Gallup poll has Kerry leading by 5% points. This is why polls are stupid, they change day to day.

That was actually a CNN/TIME poll I think. When the race is this close, your going to see this type of fluctuation. Who comes out on top in November may simply be who was up that week in terms of popularity.

Actually though, its probably more likely to be based on the races in a few battleground states. The Majority of States will probably vote the way they did in 2000, with two or three states determining who actually wins the election.

I suppose Bush could win, Sting. But I don't see how he can turn around every bad decision he's made since he took office. Re-election is all about how well a president has done his job, and in my eyes, (and the eyes of the majority of voters now) he's made a mess of it. :|

najeena said:
I suppose Bush could win, Sting. But I don't see how he can turn around every bad decision he's made since he took office. Re-election is all about how well a president has done his job, and in my eyes, (and the eyes of the majority of voters now) he's made a mess of it. :|

Well, stay tuned for the next poll which should come out in a couple of weeks.

STING2:
I agree with you in this point, it's much to early to believe any polls - no matter if they are pro- or anti-bush

Here some Economic facts:

GDP:
1.jpg

Budget Deficit:
2.jpg

Unemployment rate:
3.jpg

Trade Deficit:
4.jpg

Inflation:
5.jpg

Interest Rates:
6.jpg

Maybe these statistics are helpful while discussing the economic problems of the US.

verte76 said:
Now there is talk of inflation making a comeback. Perhaps that's not such wonderful news.

Well, the new inflation is a sign of rapid growth in the economy. Depending on how bad this inflation is, it could slow the growing economy as the FED increases interest rates to combat the new inflation. Some say the Fed will raise rates soon, but others think that won't happen until much later in the year. The rate at the moment I believe is 1% which is an historic low.

KLAUS,

Nice Statistics, although I'm not sure if the Budget Deficit and Trade Deficit charts are adjusted for inflation.

STING2 said:

Well, the new inflation is a sign of rapid growth in the economy. Depending on how bad this inflation is, it could slow the growing economy as the FED increases interest rates to combat the new inflation. Some say the Fed will raise rates soon, but others think that won't happen until much later in the year. The rate at the moment I believe is 1% which is an historic low.

Yeah, there was a blurb on my ISP's news about inflation and growth and the possibility that the Fed will raise rates soon.

It should be adjusted for inflation because the it what show that current budget deficits are not has high as people claim them to be.

Back
Top Bottom